Behringer UB-Xa Synthesizer (OB-Xa clone)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

II just saw the first listing for UBXa in NZ from any of the main retailers. Music Works have it for $2299, not too bad. If it's 1k in UK then it's only $300 over that price, and I'll give them some slack for shipping costs down here. That might make the other retailers pause before they try to slap a $3k price gouge on it...

Was expecting 2.5 to 3k so pleasantly surprised.
Music planet and Rockshop are showing the same price.

kritikon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:39 pm If it's 1k in UK ...
As I recall that was about what DeepMind 12 keyboard version went for when it was released.

Then seriously dropped after a few years or so, probably due to development cost were home.

retail is $1999 AUD here.
A bit cheaper than a ASM Hydrasynth deluxe

so with some discount it could be $1700-1800 AUD
About what I paid for my mint second hand Prologue 16

Not scheduled till early February though...

Mine came in last night, pretty incredible sounding. Good job Uli and team.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I was too far down the wait-list for Sweetwater's first batch.
Hope I make the next.

Tim Shoebridge mentioned the build quality was pretty good.

Now that Behringer has the infrastructure, I wonder what else they'll clone or come up with.
I'd like to see a new design that takes an advanced 3-Oscillator 16+ voice analog synth... and pairs that with some more modern features (poly-aftertouch, programmable, onboard DSP/FX, etc).
Kind of like the Moog One... but with much better sounding effects... and no intonation problems.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

They have a Jupiter 8 with 16 voices coming out soon. Also a Prophet with 16 voices. A Juno as well. Exciting time to be alive as a synth lover.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

They are pushing the idea of a Memorymoog, but I don't think we'll see it this year.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 pm They are pushing the idea of a Memorymoog, but I don't think we'll see it this year.
16-voice Jupiter and Prophet would be great... but a Memorymoog clone (that's reliable and maybe brought up-to-date a bit) would be amazing.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:40 pm
egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 pm They are pushing the idea of a Memorymoog, but I don't think we'll see it this year.
16-voice Jupiter and Prophet would be great... but a Memorymoog clone (that's reliable and maybe brought up-to-date a bit) would be amazing.
Over the years, many of you asked us to remake the highly sought after Memory Moog. However, rather than replicating an outdated user interface, we’d like to ask you what improvements you like to see?

Just to be clear, we’re not promising to make this synth, but since one of our synth engineering teams is finishing up a product, there is an opportunity to select the next project.
Posted 9th October 2023
https://www.instagram.com/behringer/p/CyLjmLTM-b-/

Big list here of what Behringer have announced, revealed, or are working on:
https://musictech.com/guides/buyers-gui ... thesizers/

If they have any sense they'd release the Juno thingy before the Jupiter. Sales wouldn't be great the other way around I reckon - what would you ever use the Juno for when the Jupiter's there looking at you seductively? For sure I don't want both, Jupiter trumps Juno all day long, and I have disposable toy money and am an easy target customer. I know they sound a bit different, but Junos were poor mans Jupiters if we're honest - did you ever hear anyone say "no I'll take the Juno thanks, I don't want the Jupiter" ? :hihi:

https://youtu.be/lAO-fn7rhSA
Looks like Starr got his delivered. I'm definitely sold now. He showed shitloads of stuff that I didn't know was included in UBXa that somehow or other other reviewers didn't even get close to reviewing.

The LFO can be quantized for making stepped type wibbles. Combine that with sample/hold would make for some serious mayhem I'd think

Mod matrix - with a shitload of useful stuff. One that jumped out at me was the LFO speed can be modulated, oooh yeah! Not that many synths can do that. Not at this price.

A bit more in-depth look at the atrophy/age parameters. Lush, thick and beautiful IMO. There's some serious range to the parameters that make obvious differences.

Polyphonic portamento :clap: :hyper: :party:

It's way better than I expected. Behringer seem to have thrown the kitchen sink at it and then lobbed a fridge freezer on top. They really have gone berzerker with this. I never much liked the original OBXa but the UBXa has me seriously gagging for it. :love:
I might have to preorder one if any NZ stores are doing that (haven't seen it as yet).

Actually I started nodding off during the vid (just finished a 12hr night shift) but the bastard kept waking me up with luscious sweeps and squelches that my ears couldn't ignore. f**k me - I finally want an Oberheim, but it took someone other than Oberheim to do it. I need to watch the vid again after some sleep, so I catch all the stuff I missed.

There you go. The one we've been waiting for:

https://youtu.be/N4FS98n08iE

The outcome was predictable.

The UB-Xa would never sound as good/sound the same (good being relative) and the X8 would never have as many features and, being from a small company assembled in California carrying the real Oberheim name, would be more expensive (keeping in mind that it’s more like 2.5x Behronger synths in one).

I’m shocked! Shocked I say! Ha.

The envelope issues on the UB-Xa seem problematic.

UB-XA sounds muschy

I've played an OB-X8 in person, while it sounds decent, snappy. I find it a bit cold on the top end, a certain "white" sheen.
So the UB-XA will not be any better, and only worse.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”