64 vs 32 bit FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutantdog wrote:Every now and then i see someone using a Nokia 3310. In some ways i envy them.
In 50 years, we'll envy the 32bit users, that they still run historic plugins and make music with it :love:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I'm exclusively 64-bit now. Everytime I see a new plugin and found it's 32-bit only, or pro tools only, or mac-only, I close the browser tab immediately. No fuss. I don't care what fancy thing it does if I can't use it.

For freebies or things you haven't bought, you can leave anything that doesn't match your preferences. For commercial things you already paid, you could jbridge. It's cheap.

Scotty wrote:I Thave experienced it several times and have a drawer full of abandoned hardware that died due to OS updates and new requirements.
Often people ask for the newest bestest hyperfastest computer, upgrade their OS regularly AND STILL ask for compatibility backwards for ages.
I recently pulled this out of my drawer:

An old ADB keyboard and Trackball and connected it with a long time forgotten and out of production USB-adapter to my brand new Mac Pro with Sierra running.
Miracles happen, keep the old stuff in the drawer...;-)

P.S. I had a photo uploaded as attachment, don't know how to make it show up...

That's cool. I built two - 1 unit - windows98 servers on the cheap to host my Korg Oasys cards. I had so much invested in the platform that I couldn't let them sit. They are patched into my current rig via dedicated ADAT pairs. Korg may have abandoned them but I didn't.
Tj Shredder wrote:
I recently pulled this out of my drawer:

An old ADB keyboard and Trackball and connected it with a long time forgotten and out of production USB-adapter to my brand new Mac Pro with Sierra running.
Miracles happen, keep the old stuff in the drawer...;-)

P.S. I had a photo uploaded as attachment, don't know how to make it show up...

wagtunes wrote:I actually feel sorry for the 64 bit users like myself. You have any idea how many plugins we CAN'T use? .
I know how many 32 bit plugins I want to use. Somewhere between none and zero. :wink:

I honestly can't think of one 32 bit only plugin that I need or want.......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Worse than 32-bit vs 64-bit is the fact that we have 2 major OS separating Mac and PC. I would love to use Alchemy or P900 but those are for Mac only. I blame Steve Jobs and Bill Gates for this :hihi:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I'd rather blame the devs of both P900 and Alchemy for it. :P

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

thejonsolo wrote:Every post above mine was joking and spoofing around.
Except for the ones that weren't.

So anyway:

1. Yes, I stuck with 32 bits for quite a while out of inertia. See #2.

2. There is NO TECHNICAL ADVANTAGE for me to move to 64 bits. I don't need the extra address space. The performance difference, while measurable (in Maschine 2.x) is negligable given the typical number of plugins I run. 64 does not sound better than 32.

3. People overstate the advantages of 64 bits as well as the difficulty to developers of compiling and supporting two builds. I'm a software developer at a company that did both for a while, and when we dropped 32-bit releases nothing actually got easier.

4. I looked recently into switching to 64 bits, simply because now seems like a good time to nuke my plugin folder and start clean with only the few I use now. But some of those regulars are still 32 bit only and have no direct equivalent aside from more expensive commercial products I don't want to buy.

5. The one time I tried jBridge, it crashed my host. The motivation to try it again does not exist.

6. When something is released 64-bit only now, I just don't buy it. The number of times this has led to signficant disappointment so far is zero, because most devs still do release 32 bits. That may change someday, and I'll have to make a decision. That's life. The recent NI Christmas present is the first 64-bit only thing I can think of, and I'm fine without adding another phaser, thanks.

7. I also don't freak out about old stuff not getting updated to 64 bits because it uses a platform that hasn't been updated; nor about developers not updating old stuff because there are more pressing demands on their time.

Nevertheless, it's a choice you have. Keep the system running as it is, or live with regular changes and common punches in your face (thanks to the fast pace of the computer world).
Amen.

mutantdog wrote:Every now and then i see someone using a Nokia 3310. In some ways i envy them.

My contract is up soon, i was thinking of getting a new one of those. I spend too much time on my phone....

I have a samsung phone I got at the end of 2011 that's still a 25 dollar per month no contract

I use it to text & make phone calls

It's fun never having the urge to tweet in the middle of dinner or instagram a photo of said dinner.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

foosnark wrote:There is no good replacement for ET-301, Night Flight, and some others. I'll stay with 32. There is nothing "religious" about it. :roll:
Agreed. ET-301 :love:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

foosnark wrote: 6. When something is released 64-bit only now, I just don't buy it. The number of times this has led to signficant disappointment so far is zero
and i watch video demos of this 64bit only new plugins and its the same ol abnoxious, abrasive, over complicated sounds no one would ever use in a real song.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I'm 64 bits only now because all the plugs that I use are. So it makes my life easier. + I benefit from 64b for some. Should I desperatly need an instrument that is 32 bits only, I'd very probably make the effort to find a solution like a bridge, but it's not the case atm. I think 32 bits will probably disappear sooner or later, but if people maintain their systems and are happy like that, I can't see a problem, or a need to convince them to change, even for their supposed own sake.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”