So, what DAW did it for you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote:So, for example, "I have one, too" is perfectly correct usage, assuming you already have one, and one could be the minimum number required by me, which means no excess at all.
No shit. You seem so desperate. You'd be a better community member to not come here and do your mean drunk routine. Same as it ever was, what.

BONES wrote:
metamorphosis wrote:I'm talking about the default cleartype aliasing in WIn10, which is awful compared to earlier versions. Goodbye Bones... learn to read..
What sort of idiot uses the default!?! That's how Mac users think. GO and run teh utility and set it up properly. Then we can talk about who is a "stupid f**k"
Can we just accept that some people have different preferences and move on? I never really bothered with the utility, the default looked fine to my eyes on my monitor. I'm not forcing you to look at it, it's just what works best for me.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Babya Logic ftw!

Bit unstable, but if you can't write an international no.1 best seller with that...

In the meantime, for shits and giggles:

energyXT2 for sketchpad stuff. Super quick. It's handling of VSTs is second to none. It just doesn't deal with them. It doesn't scan directories. You just tell it where the VST directory is and it loads. Sublime.

Fruity Loops. Easy to learn, hard to master. You can do a lot with this. Also pretty quick and much fun. Got loads of extras from Image-Line. They are shit-lords but I kind of love them more for it.

Ableton. Let me count the ways. Great on many levels. Only have Standard. Don't need more. I got in to it over a decade ago and spent about a year getting to know its new paradigm. Serious tool. Great company. For Germans, they even have a sense of humour! But let's not go there.

Studio One. My new squeeze. Does it all. With aplomb, when it's not crashing. A very deep program already. I'd probably take this DAW over any other. It's fun, it's capable, it's delicious. I love it. Shitty community, but some good proponents doing good work.

REAPER. Need this. Does a lot of stuff that no other audio program does. Like recording from DAT and from 4-Track. J is a genius. Don't even mind the fan boys. Great softs.

Sonar. Only got Home Studio. Very unstable - total crashfest. Love it though. Shame. Just use it for knocking out loops. It's the 'fluffer' of the DAW world. When I get going, I load up Cubase.

Cubase. Just got Elements. Or wtf it's called. Enough for me. I've bought more versions of Cubase than you have had hot dinners, son. And I will again. It's a classic. Love it.

Tracktion Waveform. Incredible 'new' software. Love it too. Can do tracks super quick with it. It took me over 8 f**king hours to install the f**ker, but boy was I happy when I did. Many faults. But more bonuses.

Samplitude. Weird software. Very capable. But just goes totally awol sometimes defying logic and physics. You can do whole tracks with it. If FLStudio is a kludge, Samplitude is a cluster f**k. Great plugins though. Might be nice if they gave you them to use in other DAWs, but pimping ain't easy.

Reason... Maschine...

Just give me XT and Studio One and I'm good.

Started with CoolEdit Pro (not really a DAW)
Then Cubasis that i got with a hardware controller (didn't like)
Then Reason (which i was extremely productive while using)
For a while i did a lot in Reaktor stand alone (not a DAW) which i doing again
Then ABLETON Live started at v3
Started on Reaper at v3

I use ALive to create with
Reaper to record live collaborations, track instruments, make samples, edit, 'master'
and i often create tracks in stand alone programs and the mix them into pieces with
Ableton Live or Reaper

If i had a Mac (big if) i'd also get Logic Pro also to use the newer Alchemy and Sculpture.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

zenophilix wrote:Can we just accept that some people have different preferences and move on? I never really bothered with the utility, the default looked fine to my eyes on my monitor. I'm not forcing you to look at it, it's just what works best for me.
Well, exactly. But whoever started this was complaining that his text looked blurry, so I thought I'd point him to the utility so he could do something about it. Apparently, that was not the right thing to do.
codec_spurt wrote:Just give me XT and Studio One and I'm good.
Can you still run eXT as a VSTi inside Studio One? I got very interested in doing that with eXT v1 and Orion but I never really got to grips with eXT so nothing came of it in the end. I still fire up eXT (always version 1) now and then to test out synth demos.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

codec_spurt wrote:Babya Logic ftw!

Studio One. My new squeeze. Does it all. With aplomb, when it's not crashing. A very deep program already. I'd probably take this DAW over any other. It's fun, it's capable, it's delicious. I love it. Shitty community, but some good proponents doing good work.
Agreed. Studio One was/is primary mix + master DAW since 2012. Recently I switched ALL arranging/composition/production to S1 and fully retiring the others I used sometimes for composition (Reason and Ableton).

Now I'm all in for Studio One for every step. It's my go-to workstation from blank canvas arranging to vocal sessions to mixing sessions to final mastered product. If you look at the whole process it just offers the most value/efficiency for me. The other one that's similar end-to-end feature wise I think is Logic but personally just like S1 way more (I own Logic too but don't even have it installed anymore)

Curious though why you think the community is shitty. Are you basing this on their official forums? If so a few years back they removed links to it from their main site so their official forums are pretty slow/inactive. There is a Facebook group however that has 25k+ members and is very active. Everytime I post there ppl have been super helpful.

One thing I will agree/say about S1 crowd is that it's very diverse. Pro Tool (and now Sonar) converts, old school rock band guys, professional engineers, singer-songwriter, hip-hop, some electronic etc etc. Since it's an all-arounder it's used in many genres and consequently the community is not single "lane" as say Ableton is for EDM. Maybe for that reason it doesn't feel as tight. Also Studio One is newer relatively speaking so still growing in adoption so it is surely still smaller than Ableton/FL Studio/Logic communities.

Either way for me S1 is the great and only getting better every release. They tend to bring the heat in their updates. Version 3 was epic and v3.5 was also amazing. Can't wait for ver 4.

koshal wrote:

Agreed. Studio One was/is primary mix + master DAW since 2012. Recently I switched ALL arranging/composition/production to S1 and fully retiring the others I used sometimes for composition (Reason and Ableton).

Now I'm all in for Studio One for every step. It's my go-to workstation from blank canvas arranging to vocal sessions to mixing sessions to final mastered product. If you look at the whole process it just offers the most value/efficiency for me. The other one that's similar end-to-end feature wise I think is Logic but personally just like S1 way more (I own Logic too but don't even have it installed anymore)

Curious though why you think the community is shitty. Are you basing this on their official forums? If so a few years back they removed links to it from their main site so their official forums are pretty slow/inactive. There is a Facebook group however that has 25k+ members and is very active. Everytime I post there ppl have been super helpful.

One thing I will agree/say about S1 crowd is that it's very diverse. Pro Tool (and now Sonar) converts, old school rock band guys, professional engineers, singer-songwriter, hip-hop, some electronic etc etc. Since it's an all-arounder it's used in many genres and consequently the community is not single "lane" as say Ableton is for EDM. Maybe for that reason it doesn't feel as tight. Also Studio One is newer relatively speaking so still growing in adoption so it is surely still smaller than Ableton/FL Studio/Logic communities.

Either way for me S1 is the great and only getting better every release. They tend to bring the heat in their updates. Version 3 was epic and v3.5 was also amazing. Can't wait for ver 4.
I'm pretty much in the same boat, and although I've tried various daws since the year 2000 when I purchased my first PC, an Athlon 750, (moving on from Music 2000 on the Playstation and Amiga 1200 Midi Studio keyboard setup of the 1990's), I left Reason after being with it since May 2001 till Nov 2014 where I moved to Studio One 2 and picked up 3.0.. 6 months later. Still have Reason 7, but I rarely use it nowadays other than for curiosity purposes. Rewire is quick and easy but my mindset whilst producing a track is blind to it, when I compare to the feature set and well over 300 plugin's and around 80 gigs of samples. Generally happy with the program as a whole but not blind in where it needs attention in a few places.

As for the community, I don't think he means the community as a whole but in the way it's actually run by the mods there. Like a church community's youth club leaders that struggle with criticism levied at the daw and what it provides..there's also a narcissistic attitude from a couple of them I've never liked. Currently it's been over run by ex Sonar users... so it's pretty much gone downhill...and I'd expect it will until 4.0 is released in the future...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Bitwig 2
Shoobie doo

It's even got me posting in song. :party:

Why? The sum of many parts, like hybrid tracks, modulation, etc. :phones:

Orion got me started
Logic kept me going
Reason was the mistress

Now Ableton Live is the one
I still use Logic as well
Reason is still the mistress
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

THE INTRANCER wrote:
koshal wrote:

I'm pretty much in the same boat, and although I've tried various daws since the year 2000 when I purchased my first PC, an Athlon 750, (moving on from Music 2000 on the Playstation and Amiga 1200 Midi Studio keyboard setup of the 1990's), I left Reason after being with it since May 2001 till Nov 2014 where I moved to Studio One 2 and picked up 3.0.. 6 months later. Still have Reason 7, but I rarely use it nowadays other than for curiosity purposes. Rewire is quick and easy but my mindset whilst producing a track is blind to it, when I compare to the feature set and well over 300 plugin's and around 80 gigs of samples. Generally happy with the program as a whole but not blind in where it needs attention in a few places.

As for the community, I don't think he means the community as a whole but in the way it's actually run by the mods there. Like a church community's youth club leaders that struggle with criticism levied at the daw and what it provides..there's also a narcissistic attitude from a couple of them I've never liked. Currently it's been over run by ex Sonar users... so it's pretty much gone downhill...and I'd expect it will until 4.0 is released in the future...
Ah I see. Sucks that people/mods in the community are like that. S1 is definitely not perfect and has plenty of areas where it could be improved.

I've perused the Studio One forums since 2011 and can write about it's evolution as I see it.

The Mod's are somewhat a problem. I notice that when one responds they don't show the patience necessary to difuse a situatoon and tend to exacerbate the problem further. When they changed to a support forum they in essence burried the discussion aspect that generated the interest in posting, no doubt a suggestion by someone or some people to narrow its focus and limit participation in the forum to problems and NOT discussion. A real shame in my opinion.

Also when they changed to community based Mod's their approach seems biased to their own interpretation of the rules or are much stricter than need be. There are a few good ones there but the more intrusive ones tend to take over the moderation.

I really don't like to critique a forum that over the years have found helpful and nice to be a member of but even I have to say it needs alot of improvement to get it back to what it used to be for me at least. Sadly that seems to affect the product's image in a lot more discussions than this forum.

Two big factors for me are, if it's Windows-only it's a non-starter. So [besides that] there is one thing other than Cubase which does a specific thing I can't live without now: the warping of the timeline to fit the music. Before I had this (introduced in Cubase 4) I just recorded in to a SMPTE timeline and ignored that grid. (That other thing is Samplitude.) Time has to be elastic for me.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbw wrote:Bitwig 2
Shoobie doo
It's even got me posting in song. :party: Why? The sum of many parts, like hybrid tracks, modulation, etc. :phones:
I gave it a red hot go after I bought my Roli keyboard but ultimately it fell short in terms of usability, workflow and value. I was initially attracted by some of the neat features but the more I got into it, the less I liked it. Ultimately I decided I'd rather do without the MPE stuff in the Roli than put up with Bitwig. After all, I can run Equator standalone if I really want to do MPE things.

I can't decide whether to keep Bitwig or see if I can sell the license to someone else. I'm pretty sure I won't ever use it again, it's just not my cup of tea.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

zenophilix wrote: Can we just accept that some people have different preferences and move on? I never really bothered with the utility, the default looked fine to my eyes on my monitor. I'm not forcing you to look at it, it's just what works best for me.
It's a generally-accepted fact that the default font antialiasing looks worse than previous versions - nobody's sure why that call was made - *shrug* - but it's not worth getting up in arms over either - I was just commenting on it...

koshal wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:
koshal wrote:

Ah I see. Sucks that people/mods in the community are like that. S1 is definitely not perfect and has plenty of areas where it could be improved.
I was a big fan of S1 before I got burned by the mods on facebook. They were having a paid raffle for a copy of S1, which is illegal under US law unless you're a non-profit organization. I pointed it out. I wasn't rude or attacking anyone. I pointed it out because I didn't want facebook to pull the group for doing something stupid, and I've had other groups bet banned for this reason. The regular forums suck, and I did get great info from the group. Their response was to immediately ban me from the group. Day in and day out, there were people who constantly spammed the group, people attacking other people in the forum on a daily basis, etc., and those people were never kicked. I contacted Presonus about getting kicked, and they told me that they had "no control" over the group, which is BS. It left such a bad taste that I bought Cubase and use that as my main daw now.

I help run sound for one of the largest companies doing sound for weddings in the US. I was overseeing an expansion for my boss. He wanted to drop 150k on Presonus mixers. I talked him out of it.

Now that the Beta-Test Mafia from the Sonar boards is hitting their groups, I'm sure it'll be a shit show. It's why you could never post any meaningful criticism on the Sonar forum. The regulars, all beta-testers, took it personally. If you check the forums now, the same people are in "I saw the light" mode about other programs. Too little, too late...
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”