Another question for Live users: Live Standard vs Live Suite compatibility

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All right guys, another few questions you might be willing to answer (newbie to Live Standard here, couldn't find anyhing at Ableton):

1) Since Live Standard and Suite are different versions, how is compatibility between them? I mean, can anything made with one version be opened with the other using devices available to both?

2) If you usually purchase sound libraries (Loopmasters, etc) that come with Ableton templates or racks, how does this work? Are they normally made for Standard (which I guess can be opened with Suite) or Suite? Or are they ".alp" grouped devices? In this case can they work with either version (even if it includes devices not available to yours)?

3) There are a bunch of MIDI devices in Suite not available to Standard. For instance "Envelope Follower" or "LFO". Are these Max for Live dvices? In their "Max for Live" website section it says M4L comes with Envelope Follower, LFO, etc. Are these the same as the ones in Suite? Let me say in other words: If I purchase M4L, will I get all the missing MIDI devices in Standard?

I'm thinking I should've waited a bit more and purchase Suite, especially for MIDI devices and Multisampler, the rest I don't really care, what do you think?

Thanx un advance :tu:

J-909 wrote:All right guys, another few questions you might be willing to answer (newbie to Live Standard here, couldn't find anyhing at Ableton):

1) Since Live Standard and Suite are different versions, how is compatibility between them? I mean, can anything made with one version be opened with the other using devices available to both?
You can open a project made in "Suite" BUT you can not delete those "suite" exclusive devices (synths/effects) and save.. so open a "suite" project and NO save ... I bought "standard" hoping to do some things with another who was using "suite"... we no longer do this as I have no need for all the extras Ableton would like me to buy (their synths maybe cool... but I have years invested in the synths I like and use)
J-909 wrote: 2) If you usually purchase sound libraries (Loopmasters, etc) that come with Ableton templates or racks, how does this work? Are they normally made for Standard (which I guess can be opened with Suite) or Suite? Or are they ".alp" grouped devices? In this case can they work with either version (even if it includes devices not available to yours)?
As far as I can understand>> all content provided in "standard" is also included with "suite".. but not the other way around...
J-909 wrote:3) There are a bunch of MIDI devices in Suite not available to Standard. For instance "Envelope Follower" or "LFO". Are these Max for Live dvices? In their "Max for Live" website section it says M4L comes with Envelope Follower, LFO, etc. Are these the same as the ones in Suite? Let me say in other words: If I purchase M4L, will I get all the missing MIDI devices in Standard?
I have no idea.. others will answer this.
J-909 wrote: I'm thinking I should've waited a bit more and purchase Suite, especially for MIDI devices and Multisampler, the rest I don't really care, what do you think?

Thanx un advance :tu:
For me a lot of money for stuff I don't want or need... now I just use Live for messing with loops and things like extracting MIDI from audio and other things and sketching ideas...
There a more advanced DAWs for the way I work... ie: live's arranger is seriously lacking for the way I work :wink:

All right mate, cheers for that :tu:

Just one thing: what do you mean by:
toonertik wrote:so open a "suite" project and NO save
?
That I can open a suite project with Standard and the Suite instruments will work but if I delete them and save the project not anymore? I didn't get that :lol:

J-909 wrote:All right mate, cheers for that :tu:

Just one thing: what do you mean by:
toonertik wrote:so open a "suite" project and NO save
?
That I can open a suite project with Standard and the Suite instruments will work but if I delete them and save the project not anymore? I didn't get that :lol:
You can open a suite project in standard but can not save.. (yes the instruments will work, it will sound the same as if opened in suite ;)))
unfortunately Ableton does not give the option to remove the suite plugins and then allow save...

toonertik wrote: You can open a suite project in standard but can not save.. (yes the instruments will work, it will sound the same as if opened in suite ;)))
unfortunately Ableton does not give the option to remove the suite plugins and then allow save...
All right, clear now :wink:

The Suite-only MIDI devices are M4L. Don't know for sure if you get the devices buying M4L, but I think yes.

If you use Standard to open a project made in the Suite version, do you lose saving ability in any case, or is the deciding factor specifically if the project contains instances of devices that belong only in Suite?

It is not any case, if you save a project in Suite with only 2 MIDI Tracks, 4 MIDI Clips and 2 Simplers it will open fine even in Lite. It is only if the project has stuff you don't have the license for. Note that that includes AIFF samples from paid Packs, those are DRM'ed.

you can always just import some of the tracks from a project into a new project, which should work all the time... open the project in the browser, drag just the track that you want into a track in your current project.

pottering wrote:It is only if the project has stuff you don't have the license for.
Ok, thanks :). I've been a Suite user for something like a decade, but I'm contemplating upgrading to Live 10 Standard, as Sampler is the only thing in the Suite I find myself using these days, and I have a separate license for it. Need to think about it, though, since the main appeal of having the Suite is being able to open anyone's projects if the need arises.

Guenon wrote:
pottering wrote:It is only if the project has stuff you don't have the license for.
Ok, thanks :). I've been a Suite user for something like a decade, but I'm contemplating upgrading to Live 10 Standard, as Sampler is the only thing in the Suite I find myself using these days, and I have a separate license for it. Need to think about it, though, since the main appeal of having the Suite is being able to open anyone's projects if the need arises.
Good point, don't know if I should have gone for Suite directly.. :?

Can anyone confirm if the MIDI devices included in Live Suite (LFO, Envelope, etc) are the same as the ones that come with Max for Live?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”