[ Space Ambient] Enigmatic Constellation ] Peter H [ Remix for SpaceSlab Go

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi KVRians,

a while ago I stumbled across a nice little gem on soundcloud. It was the track "Enigmatic Constellation By Vega System" by souncloud user SpaceSlab GO!
The track had something that I liked a lot and I've asked the user whether I can try a remix for the track. I got some 8 Stems from SpaceSlab GO! and gave it a go. Today I'm proud to publish the result. It was some tough work, but I think in the end the result is quite nice - Please note: The self set goal was to do a "true" remix, i.e. make the source sound different in terms of sonic quality. I've not intended to make a whole different track of it...
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/enig ... er-h-remix

---
Please check out the original track here
https://soundcloud.com/spaceslab-go/eni ... ega-system

I think both SpaceSlab GO! and myself - we're looking forward to your comments!

] Peter:H [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cool remix, definitely nice that the original artist was so willing to work with you, that is awesome!

In comparison to the original, I am thinking you can do more to make it your own, they sounded too similar imo, but that is also a good thing I suppose depending on how you look at it lol.

Thanks for sharing :)

JKillz wrote:Cool remix, definitely nice that the original artist was so willing to work with you, that is awesome!

In comparison to the original, I am thinking you can do more to make it your own, they sounded too similar imo, but that is also a good thing I suppose depending on how you look at it lol.

Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks JKillz, you're probably right that my remix sounds to much like the original. I've tried to do a remix iwith the self set goal to use the steems as they are and use my vst-toys to try to squeeze the best I can out of them in terms of sonic clarity and separation of instruments.
Some "methods" I have used:
1.) MFrequencyDynamics in Side Chain Mode to put the Lead "in front of" of the bed sound. It provides for masking in the frequency domain
2.) MTermolo - Each Instrument has a slight volume wobble, each instrument has the maximum somewhere in a 1/4 cycle thus I have some separation of the tracks in time
3.) I've used a lot of EQ and M/S to get even more separation in frequency and space...
So it was basically I lot of fun with my tools, i.e. a good training session on a good track.

You can't ask for much more than that. I personally only do remixes for the knowledge you can gain from seeing under the hood so to speak.

Looking forward to hearing more :)

JKillz wrote:You can't ask for much more than that. I personally only do remixes for the knowledge you can gain from seeing under the hood so to speak.

Looking forward to hearing more :)
Thanks JKillz, sure there will be more to listen too. BTW: NIce tracks on your soundcloud page...why not put that link in your KVR footer :-) ?

Oh wow, I didn't ever realize I forgot a signature :P

Thanks for that and also for the like/repost on SC, I followed back, much appreciated!

I can see why you like the original track it has a lovely feel to it with nice floating power...

I like the way your mix keeps the power/feel of the original but puts more emphasis on the other elements. This adds interest for me. Well done!

Cheers,
John
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Interesting. i see why you liked the original, too. i actually prefer it to this remix, sorry :oops: i miss the backing electric guitar that held the original together for me (so much that i didn't like the brief moments when it cut out). Also, there's some pulsing, probably from compression, that's making the backing sounds uncomfortable to my ears.

It's cool that the original artist let you do a remix. These are great ways to learn the craft. Definitely keep at it :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Interesting. i see why you liked the original, too. i actually prefer it to this remix, sorry :oops: i miss the backing electric guitar that held the original together for me (so much that i didn't like the brief moments when it cut out). Also, there's some pulsing, probably from compression, that's making the backing sounds uncomfortable to my ears.

It's cool that the original artist let you do a remix. These are great ways to learn the craft. Definitely keep at it :-)
Hi Jace-BeOS,

every feedback is welcome, even if I would rather read some "praise" ;-) Okay serious now...
I know what you mean, but let me tell you, that there's no guitar in the original track :D It's just the backing sound, that you hear a bit more naturaly in my remix and *some* Guitar Rig (Nativer Instruments?) distortion fx applied to it. Listening to your "worth a while" I think I understood why you refered to a e-guitar in your feedback :lol: nice stuff actually! Probably you and SpaceSlab Go should do the remixes vice versa...seems your closer to each other in terms of musical provenance :wink:

About the pulsing - you're completely right - that was intentional, I actually worked a lot with MeldaProduction MTremolo, actually designed different rhythmical Tremolos. I used only some Side-chain compression on top of the tremolos. I actually like this pulsing. To my ears it gave some rhythmical structure. And it was some sort of tactics to sort out the different steems that all use the same frequency range - The rational was to create space for the instruments in time when I get them pulsing with different rhythmical layouts of MTremolo.
Anyway - I just wanted to share some background info and not discuss your valid feedback. Only from doing actual work, like the remix and getting feedback like yours, I can grow. So thanks again!

And by the way - I've just asked SpaceSlab Go out ot an impulse. For some reason his track got me hooked. And he's a very cool guy. After some chating were we set up the outline for doing the remix, he sent me the steems (let me repeat no electric guitear ;-) and I tried my best not to f*** it up ;-) And I've actually asked hi wether he says I can publish the remix on sc. I mean that's just a fair deal...

Beste Regards
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Allomerus wrote:I can see why you like the original track it has a lovely feel to it with nice floating power...

I like the way your mix keeps the power/feel of the original but puts more emphasis on the other elements. This adds interest for me. Well done!

Cheers,
John
Many Thanks, Allomerus.

I'Ve tried my best to find a good compromise between the raw energy of the "electric guitar" which is actually only some rather good distortion FX applied to the backing pad and the other elements of the track.
And to be honest - I've added the Mellotron Choir to support the backing sound a bit...just because I'm kind of obsessed with this sound since ages ;-)

] Peter:H [ wrote: every feedback is welcome, even if I would rather read some "praise" ;-)
Sorry!
] Peter:H [ wrote:I know what you mean, but let me tell you, that there's no guitar in the original track :D It's just the backing sound, that you hear a bit more naturaly in my remix and *some* Guitar Rig (Nativer Instruments?) distortion fx applied to it.
Ah, I wondered about that. I prefer the distortion on that backing part, then.
] Peter:H [ wrote:Listening to your "worth a while"
Thanks for having a listen to my stuff :-)
] Peter:H [ wrote:I think I understood why you refered to a e-guitar in your feedback :lol: nice stuff actually!
] Peter:H [ wrote:Probably you and SpaceSlab Go should do the remixes vice versa...seems your closer to each other in terms of musical provenance :wink:
Because of distortion usage? I do like the judicious usage of distortion :-)
] Peter:H [ wrote:About the pulsing - you're completely right - that was intentional, I actually worked a lot with MeldaProduction MTremolo, actually designed different rhythmical Tremolos. I used only some Side-chain compression on top of the tremolos. I actually like this pulsing. To my ears it gave some rhythmical structure.
I definitely appreciate that intended use. Maybe the pulsing I'm describing isn't the same pulsing you are thinking of. It could be that I'm particularly sensitive to ducking. Yeah that's the term I should've used. It feels to my ears like there's some erratic ducking of the background going on. My ears generally feel like they're getting bothered by pressure when things sound like that. It might just be me.
] Peter:H [ wrote:And it was some sort of tactics to sort out the different steems that all use the same frequency range - The rational was to create space for the instruments in time when I get them pulsing with different rhythmical layouts of MTremolo.
You might want to try some judicious EQ cuts for that instead. Decide which frequencies are the important ones for each track and carve out space in the others to accommodate each other. I have no specific advice on this because I suck at mixing.
] Peter:H [ wrote:Anyway - I just wanted to share some background info and not discuss your valid feedback.
Thanks for the added info.
] Peter:H [ wrote:Only from doing actual work, like the remix and getting feedback like yours, I can grow. So thanks again!
I hope my feedback is in some way useful beyond "well, not to my taste" :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
I hope my feedback is in some way useful beyond "well, not to my taste" :-)
Sure it was. I used a lot of EQ as well, that was anoher tactics to get instruments separated...I even used MSpectral Dynamics, which is a plugin that works based on FFT, to side chain duck. I used it for ducking away the fft frequency bins of the background, controlled by the melody fft bins...anyhow...I figure I need more practice using my arsenal of plugins ;-)

Great piece of spacetronica with a doom-laden vibe which should go down well with the SciFi movie fans. I liked the addition of the drums which reminded me of Tangerine Dream's "Pick Up at High Noon" from the "Near Dark" soundtrack.

It's always great to hear other people using 'tron samples. I used to play in a Prog-rock band. We had an M400, and it was really great for filling out our sound, although it was quite a challenge keeping it in tune, especially live. These days I use Red_Tron or SampleTron. It's a lot easier on my back.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”