Would you consider switching to Propellerhead Reason as your main DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

Would you consider switching to Propellerhead Reason as your main DAW?

Yes
21%
No
65%
It's already my main DAW
6%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 173

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Well the software said my computer was too slow to playback one of the demo songs. Therefore, I'll pass.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Well the software said my computer was too slow to playback one of the demo songs. Therefore, I'll pass.
Same here.

However, I rebooted and the demos play ok now.

I think I'll stick to Bitwig, Logic and Live.

Reason just seems gimmicky to me at this point. If i was starting out from scratch with 0 knowledge I might pick it.
:borg:

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't have any version of Reason 8)
You could buy version 8 from me for as low as 100€ 8)

As much as I loved Reason in the past and I still like it, but No thank you the grass is greener elsewhere. Bitwig is growing up coming just recently. After 2 years it can be fully modular if fully modulation is a concern. As soon as the propellerhead patent expired. So, 2020 and 21 will be even more entertaining. I don't think I will pick Reason or recommend for friends like I used to. The company has a tendency to not fix a bug and keep going without a fix. Have they fixed the UA issue? they brought VST in 9.5 jumped to 10 without out a fix. They don't even listen users request. Please No thank you!

i tried the demo and i didn't like the way it looked i couldn't imagine using it every day

I used reason way back, V1 *uck thats 18 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_(software)

I sold it, re purchased it, sold it again. and have just re purchased again for £70

I can honestly say that if I was starting today I would use reason as my main daw, I have owned pro tools, cubase (still do) Live and Logic Pro and Reason 10 for me it is the closest thing to having a realistic mixer, shed loads of FX and some pretty cool synths and instruments.

I am actually amazed at how complete Reason 10 is. once you dig in it can do pretty much everything and more that any other daw can.

The midi editing is VERY deep. the routing and layering is also endless.

All in all I am very happy to have reason back in my arsenal. :-)

I'm content with Logic.

I'm not content with Reason's tiny GUI. I don't even have a Retina display yet.

I decided, at version 7, that I wouldn't upgrade again until they redraw the GUI elements at a sensible scale. It's been some time now and they've done nothing on this. They haven't even talked about it.

Also: If they finally update it and turn it into a pile of flat design fad BS, that'll ensure I never upgrade again.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

topaz wrote:
The midi editing is VERY deep.
I wouldn't say that midi editing is very deep in Reason and really from my experience it's always been pretty clunky, it doesn't even have basic step time edit recording on the sequencer. The automation side is pretty good however with it using vector lines and points with the inclusion of being able to clean up / optimise stray points. That's really the only thing I miss from Studio One 3.5 since moving to it. Bizarrely Studio One doesn't use the vector point system for it's tempo mapping besides not having the ability to clean up automation, it's on their FR list however and has been mentioned multiple times on their forum and elsewhere.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

i'd say thats pretty deep, certainly compared to ableton live. but I guess that is just about as shallow as you can get.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
I'm not content with Reason's tiny GUI. I don't even have a Retina display yet.
I absolutely agree. I barely can see it! It's a tiny better than the Korg lecacy synths, but not that much! The Legend looks fine though, but the old synths really needs some enlargements.

I don't think the Racks are usable (in terms of GUI) in more than 1920x1080, and even at that resolution the monitor should be at least 27"! I hope this is will be the next step for Propellerhead especially the 4k monitors are getting more popular with time.

Studio Saturn wrote:After 2 years it can be fully modular if fully modulation is a concern. As soon as the propellerhead patent expired. So, 2020 and 21 will be even more entertaining.
What do you mean by that? Are you implying that Propellerheads have patented the "modular DAW" and that's the reason why Bitwig has not opened theirs up yet? If so, how MuLab, Max4Live or Reaktor are available on the market? Are they paying Props some royalties? :D Sounds made up... :o
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnGee wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I don't think the Racks are usable (in terms of GUI) in more than 1920x1080, and even at that resolution the monitor should be at least 27"! I hope this is will be the next step for Propellerhead especially the 4k monitors are getting more popular with time.
This so much! I normally use Surface Pro 4 (2736x1824) and just for kicks I launched Reason last weekend on our family laptop that's only 1080p. I was shocked to find out that not only I can see more (2 full Rack columns), but also that the picture is much sharper! On Surface Pro I need to run Reason at 200% Wondows scaling for it to be sharp, which means it's effectively a 912p display and thus can only see 1.33 Rack columns. I've (still) a good eyesight and I could work easily at 175% or 150% and things wouldn't be too small, but they're just blurry and fuzzy, because of uneven scaling... Fix this shit, Props!
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I switched to Reason10. Last DAWs I used was Ableton, Bitwig and Reaper and therefore Cubase. I love to get rid of all these extra VSTs. After 13 years I'm back on Reason and fell in love again. Reason is very musical IMHO.

antic604 wrote:
This so much! I normally use Surface Pro 4 (2736x1824) and just for kicks I launched Reason last weekend on our family laptop that's only 1080p. I was shocked to find out that not only I can see more (2 full Rack columns), but also that the picture is much sharper! On Surface Pro I need to run Reason at 200% Wondows scaling for it to be sharp, which means it's effectively a 912p display and thus can only see 1.33 Rack columns. I've (still) a good eyesight and I could work easily at 175% or 150% and things wouldn't be too small, but they're just blurry and fuzzy, because of uneven scaling... Fix this shit, Props!
I'm using 27" monitor with 1080p and really barely can read the fonts of Thor and Subtractor. The new synths are ok somehow, they are tiny better (Europa and Grain), but they should make everything bigger really.

See below how it compares to the Legend RE. It is very clear to me and a joy to program for that, but Thor especially needs a bigger fonts and controls!
Reason_synths_fonts_size.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”