Max Martin "big drums", where to find?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I listened to Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kfr8H5WbDU

At 9 seconds into the song it has this/these big stereo drum hits that's repeating through out the song, they sound big like those drums in movies/orchestral music but still "pop" enough to fit the genre (pop) perfect. Does anyone where I can found packs that include similar big drum hits while suited for pop? Everything I got so far sounds to movie/orchestral to me...

Thanks,

I'd take a look at That Sound stuff like Sterloid or even Hangar - very contemporary, big and sometimes lo-fi drum sounds.

DSmolken wrote:I'd take a look at That Sound stuff like Sterloid or even Hangar - very contemporary, big and sometimes lo-fi drum sounds.
Thanks, I'll take a look!

Depending on what DAW you're using (I'm referencing Logic Pro X here), you can find these drum sounds in the stock VST's. Add desired FX, bounce to audio and you then have your own sample.

Go to Orchestra > Percussion > Orchestral Kit. There are loads of big drums sounds / Floor Toms / Timpani's etc.

I'd also suggest downloading some of the World sounds - some cool drum sounds that could be used in Pop tracks.

The one's in bad blood were specifically recorded for the song as seen in Taylor's behind the scenes video that can be found on Youtube.

However you can process Foley stomps to replicate that sound just as Max Martin and Shellback did for Bad Blood

Sounds like alot of layers (not just one drumkit) mixed with natural room reverb of an expensive studio. The latter is what gives you that big sound. Very hard to achieve with plugins, maybe even impossible. Rick Rubin talked about how getting good drum room sound is something that cannot be achieved in post, unlike vocal or guitar reverb

muneer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:57 pm as seen in Taylor's behind
?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”