Sound forge 12 upgrade cost

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure if I’m an idiot or if MAGIX advertising is confusing.

I got an email that says the upgrade cost is 200us (regularily 400) and that it will return to 400 later this month.

This doesn’t really make sense since the program appears to be listed at 400 for a first time purchase. Or does that mean that the regular version of the program is 800-but I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere.

Other than that, does anyone here have experience with MAGIX sales? Do you think the suite upgrade sale will ever go lower than 300us?

Nathan

I don't have any experience with Magix but I would write them an email. A mistake or just you need some link ti uograde your copy.
Guitar, Drum and Bass sample libraries for Kontakt
www.pettinhouse.com

Very confusing..
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

No.
The non upgrade price is 400 and it will stay at 400 but the offer for you is 200 because you have an older version of sound forge like me.
It will end mid of april. I am an owner of SF12 and got this note too. It isn't an offer. It is an idignified trickery - typically MAGIX.
My2c.

So after mid of April they'll keep the opportunity to buy an upgrade but it will cost the same like the full purchase? Are they really that dumb? Wow.. can't they say what it is? A time limited offer to upgrade..
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Yeah that seems defeating on their part. I am running the demo, it’s nice but not super different, other than 64 bit plug-in support and a few plugins. They didn’t even make a dark theme, like they did with everything else. Not that it’s really an issue.

Anyway, if the upgrade is time limited, I will likely pass. Even though I got the funds set aside already. Even version 5 of spectral layers is a bit lackluster for a version upgrade imho.

I want to support them, but geeze.

No, you simply can't upgrade after this offer ends. They did the same with spectralayers from V3 to V4.
By the way: Actually they made a V5 of spectralayers too with the same "upgrade" policy" again even for 200.
So, if I want to upgrade now I had to pay 2 * 200 to get a complete upgrade. Ludicrous.

They ain't stupid, they are greedy. It's just capitalism.
Luckily there are always competitors.

I am out, stay with the old stuff and will see what Acon's acoustica can do for me. It has integrated spectral editing. Sadly without layering but for the complete package (new!) they demand half of the price of what Magix wants.

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone. This is indeed kind of strange.

While I would like to the upgraded programs there definitely isn’t enough there to justify the cost. If spectral layers had vst support maybe, but I’m not gonna pay this upgrade and then again in a year or so to get that feature with v6 of spectral layers.

Could easily ride my current set up for years and be happy.

Actually, I found the upgrade offer for $199 quite reasonable. I was still running version 9, and they allowed me to upgrade from that. I was quite comfortable Sound Forge, and had little reason to upgrade other than the fact that 32 bit plugins will stop being developed eventually. I tried demoing Steinbergs WaveLab and found it's interface to be a little too overwrought.

ReverendLove wrote:By the way: Actually they made a V5 of spectralayers too with the same "upgrade" policy" again even for 200.
So, if I want to upgrade now I had to pay 2 * 200 to get a complete upgrade..
Surely you'd use the Suite upgrade for that? Its also on the upgrade page. Here, thats £199 vs £149 for one of the applications on its own, so probably works out at $275 or something?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

SuperG wrote:Actually, I found the upgrade offer for $199 quite reasonable. I was still running version 9, and they allowed me to upgrade from that. I was quite comfortable Sound Forge, and had little reason to upgrade other than the fact that 32 bit plugins will stop being developed eventually. I tried demoing Steinbergs WaveLab and found it's interface to be a little too overwrought.
I was a former long time (from mid-90's up to when v8 was released) Sound Forge user and during the last Humble bundle sale I jumped on to get the most recent copy.

Looking now what's new in V12 I really do not see a reason to upgrade. 199$ does feel kind of overpriced for what you get. The biggest thing is 64bit. I do not care about VST3 support, nor do I care about any of the added plugins.

I'm using it mostly for sample editing and creation and rarely work with very big files, so I can even do without 64bit. Maybe the exemption is when opening some video files. But so far I have not felt limited in any way.
No signature here!

It's another "smart" move from Magix. I still remember what they did when they came with the Samplitude Pro X Suite, and what was their "offer" to old users of Samplitude Professional. I ended to get Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, together with Sound Forge Pro, etc. for the price they wanted for Samplitude Pro X. Lately, they were giving it to new users almost for free.

The same happened with Sound Forge Pro, and Spectra Layers, which I was able to get almost for nothing. Now, they want 200 dollars for each upgrade or 300 dollars to upgrade to the Sound Forge Suite. And even with a "time-limited" offer. A really shady way of doing business, IMO. I'll pass, as I did with the Samplitude Suite. I will get it when (if) they become more reasonable.

And there is another interesting thing, that would be good for consumer defending movements to analyze (is there something like that in the US?). They didn't offer a grace period (AFAIK). Yet, they advertised a free upgrade to people who would buy Sound Forge in special conditions (ANOTHER special offer, added to the many they carried over the last couple of months). We still didn't see how those who bought that version will get their offer - probably, they will get it directly into their account.

And the Sound Forge license isn't still even cross-platform (although the Spectralayers is), which means a user of both Windows and Mac would have to buy TWO licenses. Magix really need to rethink their policy.
Fernando (FMR)

In 2007 I started working in version 8, and I worked for 10 years.

Last year, my company bought me 11 versions and a new computer. I do not see much difference. I work a lot with the tracks of the announcers, it can be 100 or 200 sounds a day. The basic functions are recording, cleaning, editing, and a batch converter. Therefore, I will not update, this does not affect my workflow.

Another strange thing. In the version comparison here: https://www.magix.com/us/music/sound-fo ... n/#c773728 , the item "Always current with the latest updates, upgrades, patches and new features" is not available for any version except Sound Forge 365.

Does that mean that, when we buy it, we are entitled to updates? WTF does this mean?
Fernando (FMR)

365 is a subscription. You can use always the latest one.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”