Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Found some pocket money in a jacket (record cool temps interspersed here lately!)
and saw a plugin I like on sale, so took a small gamble. The installer failed to complete, so I ran it on an old win 7 box, and copied over the missing folder via sneakernet. Wasn't the first time :dog: won't be the last :scared:

...but it's all about the muzzzaaaaakkkkkk :hyper:

Dmitri Sches Thorn AVLinux.jpg

This is a small screen, with a nice range of larger sizes for various monitors.
The sounds, to me at least, are like a blend of Hive, and SynthMaster One :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glokraw: I don't understand why you keep posting Windows software in this topic about Linux.

Just because it's possible to run some (not all) Windows software through wine doesn't make any of this native.

Great that this works for you, but honestly it's now impossible to read this topic with actual Linux in mind.

Not speaking for glokraw but thought the point of this thread was running *any* commercial software in Linux, not just native? There's other threads here and elsewhere purely for the native stuff, the fact the vast mjority of commercial software is for WIndows or Mac surely justifys this thread? Protecting your investment etc?

DRMR wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:02 am glokraw: I don't understand why you keep posting Windows software in this topic about Linux.

Just because it's possible to run some (not all) Windows software through wine doesn't make any of this native.

Great that this works for you, but honestly it's now impossible to read this topic with actual Linux in mind.
Hi, and thanks for sharing your opinions. The topic was started to be fairly narrow in scope, focussing on newly viable use of commercial software in linux daws and systems.
The great U-he linux ports, the airwave/linvst/yabridge plugin wrappers, wine-staging, and the Bitwig, Reaper, and Harrison Mixbus cross-platform daws have greatly expanded the horizons of linux musicians.

Since a goodly portion of linux musicians choose to use only or mainly open-source products, and the majority of related forums discuss them in detail, I wanted to present the possibilities for using world-class commercial software within linux, to anyone interested. From a musicians perspective, and not as an advocate of linux and open source, I love that we can buy linux versions of a few daws, and consider popular commercial products to use with them. The skill and talent of instrument/effects coders, is amazing, and the preset designers keep producing delightful sounds and environs with which to musically describe whatever captures our imaginations.

You used an interesting phrase, "actual Linux". The linux kernel and related tech are funded by many Fortune 500 and other branded and giant technology corporations.
Every small, medium, and large linux distro is beholden to and reliant on them. In the open-source spectrum, linux is ever changing, modified for whim and purpose among hundreds of OS options, and so being "actual", is happily, not a clearly definable option.

"The linux DAW thread" is always nearby. Since I started this commercial topic, my contibutions there are almost always about free and native linux software, since that is a priority of many linux musicians, and anyone can freely comment.
Cheers

GaryG wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:47 am Not speaking for glokraw but thought the point of this thread was running *any* commercial software in Linux, not just native? There's other threads here and elsewhere purely for the native stuff, the fact the vast mjority of commercial software is for WIndows or Mac surely justifys this thread? Protecting your investment etc?
Oh, thou Lighthugger from Darkest Kent, thee have perceived with crystal vision,
the point and aim of this mine mission :hyper:

You say it as if "open-source" and "commercial" are mutually exclusive. They are not.
Ardour for instance is a commercial audio software that is also open-source.

Running commercial Windows plugins on Linux using wine does not make them "commercial linux audio softwares".

Maybe you should have the topic title changed to "running commercial audio software on linux" then so it's more ambiguous and can include any method to achieve this. The current title is not reflected in any of your recent posts.

Hi, I changed the topic as per your suggestion. Every little clarity is a step forward, especially in the midst of cross-platform information.

Matt Tytel's 'Vital' synthethsizer is another example of open-source commercial software. The open-source decision came after some good success early on, and 'Vitalium' is a version based on that available source code.
Cheers

DRMR wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:12 pm You say it as if "open-source" and "commercial" are mutually exclusive. They are not.
Ardour for instance is a commercial audio software that is also open-source.

Running commercial Windows plugins on Linux using wine does not make them "commercial linux audio softwares".

Maybe you should have the topic title changed to "running commercial audio software on linux" then so it's more ambiguous and can include any method to achieve this. The current title is not reflected in any of your recent posts.
Ardour is free as in “liberty”, not free as in “beer”. This is exactly the way the open source pioneers intend it to be—it’s a great model! We are free as in “libre” to do what we want and even compile or alter that source code. But it doesn’t have to be free as in “gratis” from monetization. That the developers charge for their efforts in creating and maintaining binaries (as well as developing and supporting the software), doest stop you from being free to use the source. If you don’t want to pay, use a copy from your distro’s repositories, or compile it yourself.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

glokraw wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:28 am Hi, I changed the topic as per your suggestion. Every little clarity is a step forward, especially in the midst of cross-platform information.
Thnx, now it feels much more open to very broad suggestions/tips as you where doing :)

Novation, maker of hardware and software musician tools, have released their V-station and Bass-Station synths as freeware. :hyper:

In windows-reaper via wine, when first run, there was an 'activation' button
on the V-station screen. Click that, and a web-browser window opens with a url to visit. Go there and a file with a .fnlf extension should be downloaded to your desktop. Back at the V-station prompt, browse to your desktop and select that file to complete the authorization.

I really like the V-Station synth-brass sounds when going through some of the 200 presets, and the basic arpeggiator has a random option to keep stirring the pot. It's always nice when a pro company shares the wealth, so I'll check out their hardware next time I have need and the buying power!

V-Station-free.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Interesting. A few years ago I couldn't get V-Station to accept a legitimate .fnlf file on Linux (using REAPER with Wine). Was rather frustrating: the demo worked fine but the DRM didn't!

Maybe WINE has incidentally improved in a way that fixed it?

I use wine-staging, and it get's better with every release. Occasionally new issues appear, only to be fixed soon in a new version. SampleTank 4 used to always crash when loading a second layer, but one of the recent wine updates, likely aimed at gamer graphics issues, solved it 'accidentally' :wink:

Here's the Viper demo running in windows reaper in wine-staging 7.13, and kernel
and liquorix 5.18-11~mx21+1 The sound fades for a couple seconds every 30 seconds or so,
making it easy to test the energetic and varied sound collection

Viper-demo.jpg

Here's a pair of the great Fathom Modular synths in linux Reaper, liquorix kernel 5.18, wine-staging 7.13. Rolled the dice on a linux update that included jackd and pulse in addition to the kernel and wine. So far, so good :scared: :hihi:

Dual Fathom Modular Synths.jpg

I hooked up my little IK Multimedia UNO analog synth via it's usb cable, and audio-out jack, and used it's arpeggiator to play the great Yoshimi multi-timbral synth, blended with the analog output of the hardware.
Quite a treat to have two such fine and diverse soundsets available.

I could trigger the arp from both the UNO's flat-panel keys, or use the 88 note Alesis synth keys, and still have the UNO's un-used 5pin midi ports to connect to another hardware device if in the mood.

Here's a used UNO for $120 at Scranton Pennsylvania Guitar center:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/IK-Mu ... 8223879.gc

Yoshimi is under heavy developement, a great instrument to bless the record button with unique layered blends!

IK-UNO-Analog arp driving Yoshimi.jpg

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”