Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is IK's free Tonex CS version, running with Amplitube 4 in a recent 8.18 wine-staging, in Reaper 6.82 in latest AVLinux. To authorize it, I had to first launch the IK Custom Shop from A4, then launch the Program Manager tool separately. A bit clunkier than it should be, but considering all the clunky parts involved, not too surprising. At least the IK coders are targeted enough at basic functionality, that their windows software usually runs in a modern linux. I also have Mixbox and Syntronik on this setup, and Tonex sounds great, so I look forward to cherry-picking some of the best-of-the-best captured gear to go with my A4/A5 models. :hyper:

TonexA4_2023-10-18_04-04-59.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here is the Tone 2 Icarus V 1.6 synth (included in the latest Computer Music Magazine content), running in windows Reaper in wine in AVLinux. Sounds great, and everything seems to work fine.
I've tried several Tone 2 demos, with similar success. The V1.6 is a full unrestricted release, and there are discounts from this version to newer versions of Icarus, the 2.5 and 3.0 releases.

Icarus-Replika.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here are some of Ugritones rock drums being played by the midi-out from the late H.G. Fortunes
Drumburst plugin, the sounds easily blended, and few people will have heard them together.
Example 320 mbps mp3 below

Ugritone-Drumburst.jpg
Drumburst-Ugritone.mp3.zip

Here is the venerable Battery 4 being played by the nice Randarp plugin, which has
just enough features to keep unemployed drummers practicing long lonely hours :hyper:
Using windows Reaper 7.07 in wine-staging 9.03

https://www.codefn42.com/randarp/index.html

Battery4-RandArp.jpg

Hey Franklin,

What is your experience with running Windows guitar virtualization plugins through WINE? Are there any particular brands that run better than others? That is one area that from which I’d like to see more Linux options. Thanks! 😊
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Hi, the BlueCat Axion suite is my favorite

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_Axiom/

Has a very deep set of extras, great features, a fine set of presets, including a bank of 'Guitar Legends' (I didn't make the list :( ) and it can host most 3rd-party 64bit vst's (I loaded CamelCrusher in the pic) and opened the stomp's editors) The demo fades out sound briefly, not too often to be annoying. It authorizes by serial number, and provides vst, vst3, and standalone versions. Their support is friendly and they have a kvr section:

viewforum.php?f=52

Axiom.jpg

https://youtu.be/MM2IHPnIGt0

The gui's are very symmetrical, with lots of widgets to click on, and lots of saving possibilities.
They have an excellent free pack of useful effect plugins, including the FreeAmp, a basic 3-amp-set that sounds fine. Quite a few youtube videos. I have the plugins working via an older yabridge and AVLinux, but in a newer AVLinux, with wine-staging 9.03, Reaper 7.07, and the newest Yabridge, some NI and IK and other commercial gems scan, but don't show up in the plugin list. :x :wink:

The standalones do seem OK, as seen in the pics. I also like IK's Mixbox, with some 600 presets designed to reveal pro setups they've discovered or crafted over the many years :hyper:
And it's always fun to blend in some native linux tools, MetalTone (via jalv-select) and Rakarrack
are two favorites here.
Cheers

guitar-gang.jpg
Last edited by glokraw on Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

I also have Guitar Rig 6, with effects I've never heard of, and many presets to explore, and it has a 30 minute demo period for potential buyers! Amplitube 4 is another keeper, I like it better than the newer V5 with it's smaller and blurrier graphics, but newer modeling tech :roll: IK's Tonex system is a whole sub-universe of captured rigs...with both the hardware pedal and the software versions. I've enjoyed the free version of Tonex in my spare time :scared:

The various install/wrap/scam regimens will usually work, perhaps after reading search results, and when a very cool gathering is functional, (this advice is for the 2024 peanut gallery, lest I be preaching to the AJ Choir :wink: )

:x :evil: Do not update :evil: :x :scared: :dog: :roll:

Set up a new linux system for experimentation. My bacon and eggs are safe on another drive :hyper:

Also, NAM is doing fine, open source, and with a linux release last October:

https://github.com/mikeoliphant/neural-amp-modeler-lv2

https://www.neuralampmodeler.com/

CMFuzz, the 32 bit magazineware version of CamelCrusher get's a lot of use for it's
excellent sounds, compressor, tone, randomizer, and small footprint.
Cheers

Pleased to see the PluginAlliance installer works on UbuntuStudio (gave errors on AVL). And also that Tantra2 behaves itself when resizing and looks better than on Windows. :)
Screenshot_20240104_105907.png

Tantra is a fun tool. Need to make it work in 2024! I have the version 1. My one PA purchase is BX Oberhausen synth, which sounds a bit like NI's Monark, and discoDSP ObXD. The authorization went through OK, and I think I also authorized some freeware. The number of variables between distros, wines, wrappers, gui toolkits, plugin formats, authorization schemes, code languages, build services...how coders get things done is near miraculous :hyper:
I can just about manage what lies between C and the next B#, if it's not too windy...
Cheers

When I was playing with AVL, I couldn't get the PA installer to work so just copied the .vst3s over from my windows box and a couple of data folders. That worked fine, all the unfiltered audio plugs and a couple of bx ones including oberhaus. Same with Kilohearts.

An option, if you have a Windows system obvs.

Issues I have at the mo are a couple of bridged plugs not updating their GUIs (you can turn the knobs but no visual indication anything happens until you move or close/reopen the plugin). Audiority, the newest Klanghelm (older ones are fine), BPBs Dirty VHS (again, older ones ok). Though Audiority is apparently looking at Linux versions so that will be good.

With Synthmaster 2.9 preset compatability being worked on for the 'soon' arriving SynthMaster 3,
here is V2.9 with U-he ColourCopy delay, and Adam Szabo's Solaris reverb...hosted in linux Reaper,
in the recently released new version of GMaq's AVLinux distro. Teamwork :hyper:

SM-29-Coco-Solaris.jpg

Supposedly it is the plan that Synthmaster 3 will support Linux natively. Estimated time: sometime in 2025 approximately. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

That will sure be 'Suite'! Meanwhile, pasting this from a nearby website,

I just discovered Arturia have a light free version of Analog Lab V called Analog Play. The download was 3.6 gig, it took awhile to unzip, and then the installer slogged it's way throoo a rather
:shock: large number of bytes :shock: ...but the 100 free presets are really nice, including synths of course, a grand piano, a rich ethereal vocal pad etc, each 'sound' comes with some relevant controls, and a unique backdrop. The concept is a bit like an NI 'Play Series' or an IK Syntronik synth, more sound than knobs, fine by me for a free teaser. There were no issues registering the product with their system. So time to be on the lookout for a sale price on a hardware product that has a deeper version of Analog Lab bundled up :wink: The link points to a store's guide for authorizing Arturia products, and the pics are worth a dozen words in a good tailwind 8)

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... -software/

https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... oglab/free

arturia-app.jpg

Free-Analog-Play.jpg
Last edited by glokraw on Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This midi controller includes a 2000 preset Analog Lab V software for $270...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ller-white

I installed the demo of Augmented Strings, no issues, and lots of sounds!

Augmented-Strings-gui.jpg
Arturia Augmented Strings-advanced gui.jpg

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”