Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since my buying power has been crushed like a cheapo gas can, I went back in Komplete 13, and loaded Absynth 5 and one of it's better pad sounds. For those unfamiliar, you can import wav's, apply randomness, and generally deep-dive into the sound, from a multi-page gui, with internet tutorials aplenty, so it has a timeless streak despite many fans bemoaning it's years without an update. If you download the demo, it runs 30 minutes before needing to be reloaded in your plugin host. Pretty generous from NI, and easy to see if you gel with the workflow.

A bunch of gui screenshots here if you scroll down:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... Collection

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... downloads/

Absynth5-Reaper661-wine-staging7.15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here is NI's FM8, the graybeard DX7, with the jaunty arpeggiated 'Ambient Mallet' preset. It's on sale for $10 until September 6th. Almost a 1000 factory presets, and a trove of commercial 3rd party soundsets, a no-brainer if you have Dexed, and want to explore FM sound design. Some very surprising presets in the collection.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... h/8001-FM8

FM8-Reaper661-wine-staging-7.15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

After a recent wine-staging update in AVLinux, EDIT- wrong, it was still the default v6.22 version that comes installed in AVLinux! , so the surprise below may have been from a kernel, reaper, or internet tools/libs related upgrade. -end EDIT

a nice surprise popped up during a reaper plugin-scan session, the registration software for Air's great Hybrid 3 synth appeared before my very eyes, and it appeared to work. With both the monsoon and the weekend aligned, I fired up the new .669 version of linux Reaper, and the screenshot below is worth several hundred words, according to
The Muse.

I had purchased a bunch of soundsets when I bought H3 in a no-brainer sale at Plugin Boutique, and they installed fine as well. Now I've got around a thousand new old sounds, and need to find some inspiration to use on a few of the keepers.

Some iteration of ilok software manager is under the hood, and happy enough to work in a modern version of wine. I'd knock on wood, but formica and tolex will have to suffice :wink:
Cheers

Hybrid3-AVLinux.png

Now the rainy season is here, time to inventory what's working in my linux setups.
Happily, Amplitube 5's new version is happy, shown hosted by windows Reaper .669 in AVLinux wine-staging 6.22. In the pic, two of the stomps from the Fulltone Collection are loaded. Fulltone announced the end of their business is imminent, so it's good to have the software versions of their chorus, distortion, and delay units. Sounding very nice in their A5 incarnations. As a group, and when paired with a suitable amp, they cover a huge range of tones.

A5-Fulltone.jpg

BlueCat Axiom is my favorite guitar and effect tool, I love the sounds, the symetrical interface,
the deep range of easily accessed features, the ability to load 3rd party vst plugins, easy installs and registration, all with friendly efficient support.

A Native Instruments chorus plugin is shown in the pic as a hosting example, as BlueCat themselves have their own excellent chorus options.

BlueCat-hosting-NI.png

Zebra2 Legacy Collection...I received these soundsets based on previous purchases. Quite a generous system! The legacy soundsets are easy to install. Expand the archive near the Zebra2 folder for easy browsing. Launch Zebra2, click on the U-he logo upper-right corner. A menu opens, click the bottom entry to install a soundset, and browse to their location. Click a soundset from the list, and it will be installed and set up in the Zebra preset system.

There are 4300+ sounds, but U-he have worked hard to provide a categorized database, so finding a pad or lead or sequence sound is very easy, even if some preset names are a bit obscure. And the sound designers really show off what's possible.
This is a standard U-he product now, for $99.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... c1k6_rdh0b

50% discount on several U-he synths and effects...sale lasts 20 more days, with a handy timer
at the link...(U-he supports the NKS preset/editing format used by Native Instruments hardware kontrollers, hence the rare, but excellent sale pricing)

Diva
Hive 2
Repro
--------------------
TWANGSTRÖM
Colour Copy
Satin
Presswerk

Seeing mention of a free MS-20 filter plugin from Arturia, I went on walkabout in their direction, and made some nice discoveries. Their tool for download/authorizations installed OK in wine-staging-AVLinux distro, and worked quite well in windows-reaper in wine.
The filter plugin is a very nice tool, from a novice filter-user's viewpoint.

I installed Arturia's Analog Lab V4 demo, and CS-80 synth demo,
and used the filter with both. The Lab has a nice simplistic workflow, and displays a pic of the chosen instrument, and the editor controls seemed in working order, during the short walk. The CS-80 has a gui size selection, and lots of the oldschool synth sounds. The demos run 20 minutes before a restart is needed, save-disabled, so easy enough to test.

Analog Lab v4.png
Arturia-reg-tool.png
Arturia-MS-20-filter-CS80-DEMO.jpg

I picked up Dmitry Sches Thorn synth a while back, at a Plugin Alliance no-brainer sale, for which I am aptly qualified, and haven't had much time with it after the installation. While recuperating from yard work, I modified a nice Thorn bass seq-sound to me more of a pluk, and while looking for a 'save-as' button/menu-item, I came across...
wait for it....

:hyper: 'Disable MIDI output' :hyper:

Which my feeble mind translated to, 'WHOAHHH, MIDI output is ONNNNNN!

I quickly loaded a pair of linux U-he synths with a 'receive from Thorn' connection, and sure enough,
there was dancing in the halls of Cranium :party:

Thorn-midi-to-ZebraCM-Repro5.png

The Plugin Alliance installer tool likes a modern video card with shader support, and a newer version of wine, this is last-years AVLinux with wine-staging 6.22. Would be lucky to test their tool on a freebie product before buying a plugin that required it :wink:
Cheers

Just as an aside glokraw, what Reaper theme are you using if I may ask?

I only use native Linux software and plugs myself but nonetheless I appreciate your efforts and all the info / insight in this thread.
www.cel10.com

There are better signatures out there.

Hi, this is the theme I use, in the linux reaper, and the windows reaper using wine:

reaper-RADO-V4C.ReaperThemeZip

I haven't modded it, and there are quite a few rado variants in the stash,
not sure of the current status, but pm an email if needed, and I'll attach my file.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=14764

Cheers

Some excellent fun and music can be made by putting a well-timed and enduring delay effect
on your favorite instruments, and then sending them to the Tantra rythym-effects generator,
or one of it's competitors. Once your delay setup and Tantra have reached an enjoyable duo, you can easily dial in the settings of both for fine tuning. With long feedback settings, it can be very relaxing to play and listen as the machines get to work, while pondering the next effects to modify.

There are dice to roll in Tantra, to randomize settings, and plenty of presets. The simple serial-number registration is always a relief these days, and Plugin Alliance handles the sales for
Dmitry Sches products, so sales are fairly common. This Reaper setup is in the debian based MX-Linux certified 'AVLinux', found at www.bandshed.net It's a very well tuned turnkey linux distro.
Cheers

Delayed-Tantra.jpg

Old news, But here's Kontakt and Absynth running in Reaper by way of wine in AVLinux. Such setups would be far more common if NI would have optional installers with simple serial number registration. Same for Izotope, Korg,IK, and AIR Tech etc etc, an option to bypass complexity with simplicity would be very welcome. If U-he can do it, I would think the competition with larger code teams could do it too. 'West Africa' is part of the light version of Komplete, and is one of NI's best libraries. :hyper:

K6-Absynth5-Reaper.png

Some good news, the IK Multimedia Product Manager 1.06 is working in AVLinux with wine-staging 8.16 in the windows Reaper 6.82

I was able to install and register my copy of IK's Mixbox without drama. It's working well, but not perfect. Oddly, in the effect slots after the first slot, when using the selector menus, I have to go around and enter them from the side, as when accessed vertically, they vanish :dog: But I can live with that, as I sort thru the huge trove of multi-effect presets that cover a huge range of studio use cases. It's vst window in Reaper could be enlarged, and the gui's of the modules are nicely drawn, and responsive. As expected, the effects are excellent. I have an old nVidia 9400GT video card, and don't have the official nVidia driver installed, so those with newer cards and driver may have better success in the menus.

MixBox-AVLinux.jpg

Here is part of the free Melda effects collection running in windows Reaper 6.82
with wine-staging 8.16 in AVLinux. The download is 630 meg, and provides dozens of effects,
many of which will need some manual research :scared: The tremolo in the screenshot has lots of presets, but the names are mainly useless for guessing what will be heard. Maybe it was fun for the staff to goof around on naming day, or maybe some text randomizer was used. But they do have a nice preset panel to select, rename, remove, and randomize the presets, that mitigates things a bit. And I think it is uniformly used in all the effects. Lots of people recommend Melda, and it will be educational for me trying things of which I'm currently clueless :hyper:

Melda.png
Last edited by glokraw on Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”