Installing plugins in OSX High sierra

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I have a custom installer on OSX, which has to perform rather complex installation of various audio plugins. It treats the bundles as any other folder, which contains folders and files, so it just creates the folders and files one by one. Since OSX High sierra (I believe) it often runs into problems on some computers:

- It cannot write some of the files, typically "icon.icns". It almost seems like the OSX starts analyzing the bundle before it is being fully created locking it up. Except trying again a few seconds later doesn't help.

- After the installation Apple's own Logic Pro cannot find these plugins. It is believed this is a bug in Logic / OSX though. But still, is there some action that needs to be performed after (and/or before) a bundle is being created?

In both cases a restarting OSX helps, but it isn't exactly ideal obviously.

Also, since High sierra deleting files seems to be brutally slow... no idea what happened there. Heard about a new file system, if so then "not a good one Apple...".
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:...
In both cases a restarting OSX helps, but it isn't exactly ideal obviously...
You may already knew but login out - login in will do [Shift/Command/Q].

Thanks for the info, I actually didn't know that, but the problem is I need it to work seemlessly for the end users. Is there something I'm doing incorrectly? Or some needed precaution when installing bundles?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Does it help running the installer as root/admin?

It is always ran like that. But the truth is, it is sometimes hard to find out if people actually enter the password correctly :). But I think it happened too many times to be related to this. My only idea is that system somehow locks the bundles and that prevents the installer from changing them...
Vojtech

Did you code sign your installer? We experienced quite strange behavior when not doing it: altough the user had to explictely allow the app to start in the system settings because "it can not be trusted", it was still kind of sandboxed in the background. That lead to funny errors :lol: Signing the installer did fix most of them for us.

Was going to ask the same thing. Are your plugins and installers and anything they might run in the background (code) signed?
Confucamus.

Yes, everything is signed actually. BUT when creating the plugins, it takes time before all files are properly placed and the signature is correct of course.
Vojtech

Are you dealing with files in a specific order, so that some file actions require other file actions to have completed first? Looks like the new APFS doesn't provide ordering by default, so if you need to do things in a specific sequence then don't rely on any file listings you haven't ordered yourself.

The problem of rebooting or logging out and back in is fairly common.
Not ideal, but that's the only reliable solution I've read about so far.
Confucamus.

Thanks for the info. Nothing ordered there really, just plain impossibility to write or delete some files... well, I'll just put a note to the installer :).
Vojtech

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”