Redemption

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's something a little different for the older folks or those just old at heart. Your milage may vary.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/redemption

So this is what life in the fast lane is like, Phil? :)

Nice restful instrumental song for listen to after hectic day.
Pleasant sounds and ambiance.

sjm wrote:So this is what life in the fast lane is like, Phil? :)
sjm,

This is a memorial of sorts for a friend from the hippie days who was an avid Olympic Mountains cross country hiker. I took the picture last spring after a snow hike to the summit of Mount Ellinor, WA.

Sometimes the fastlane turns into the tough lane. :shrug:

markkuja wrote:Nice restful instrumental song for listen to after hectic day.
Pleasant sounds and ambiance.
I’m glad you found it restful markkuja. That was no doubt my main intention.

It's a great view on the picture. It makes me want to go hiking/skiing. I guess that's a good thing?

The music itself sounds quite reminiscent of what they like playing in the hotel saunas here when you're relaxing after the day's skiing/hiking in the mountains. Not exactly what I listen to at home, but it's quite appropriate in that setting.

Nostalgic and richly melodic. A fitting tribute to your friend. :tu:

sjm wrote:It's a great view on the picture. It makes me want to go hiking/skiing. I guess that's a good thing?

The music itself sounds quite reminiscent of what they like playing in the hotel saunas here when you're relaxing after the day's skiing/hiking in the mountains. Not exactly what I listen to at home, but it's quite appropriate in that setting.
Maybe I should have set this music up better. The strange thing is that I didn’t realize it clearly until after I went to the well attended informal memorial at the person’s house, which has a view of the Olympic Mountains. His rather sudden death was a shock to everyone. I guess it was a wake up call.

Moral of the story is don’t smoke. :(

Frantz wrote:Nostalgic and richly melodic. A fitting tribute to your friend. :tu:
Thanks Frantz!

It definitely has some nostalgic elements.

Example: At 2:00 this section starts with the intro chord change of In My Second Mind From The Steve Miller Band’s 1968 Children Of The Future album.

Great composition, and I like the way that it slowly builds in intensity.

I find that it can be quite difficult to achieve complete satisfaction when writing "memorial/tribute" music for friends or family, partly because of the many different feelings that need to be expressed. When my father died, I eventually wrote 3 pieces of music, but not immediately. None of them convey everything that I felt, but between them, they managed to say what I wanted.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:Great composition, and I like the way that it slowly builds in intensity.

I find that it can be quite difficult to achieve complete satisfaction when writing "memorial/tribute" music for friends or family, partly because of the many different feelings that need to be expressed. When my father died, I eventually wrote 3 pieces of music, but not immediately. None of them convey everything that I felt, but between them, they managed to say what I wanted.

Good work :)
Hi seimic1,

I’m glad you also liked this music. I guess this was less an expressive outpouring of my individual feelings and more about some sort of transendance for my generation of friends as they confront their own mortality after the loss of one of us.

I didn’t write anything specific after the rather sudden death of my father many years ago although I was able to sing and play the piano at his funeral as a tribute. I did compose a couple of things while I was living with my mother, many years later, as she slowly lost much of her mental faculties initiated by a brain damage episode. She’s now 95, still going strong, and lives on her ranch with a part time caregiver and my brothers and I taking her on the week ends. That’s life.

I feel a resonant sympathy in the music for your friend. Yet it also seems celebratory.
Great choice as a tribute!
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Went hiking the other day and this popped into my head again while lying in a field in the sun with my wife. Seemed like a good time to cherish life!
Hiking.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Listening to the music one can imagine being in the mountains. Just like standing on top of a rock. Nice work!

Return to “Music Cafe”