Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
fastlanephil
KVRist
 
478 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm Redemption

Here's something a little different for the older folks or those just old at heart. Your milage may vary.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/redemption
sjm
KVRian
 
1451 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Tue May 01, 2018 3:48 pm Re: Redemption

So this is what life in the fast lane is like, Phil? :)
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
User avatar
markkuja
KVRian
 
773 posts since 28 Oct, 2005, from Finland

Postby markkuja; Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 pm Re: Redemption

Nice restful instrumental song for listen to after hectic day.
Pleasant sounds and ambiance.
fastlanephil
KVRist
 
478 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Wed May 02, 2018 3:30 pm Re: Redemption

sjm wrote:So this is what life in the fast lane is like, Phil? :)


sjm,

This is a memorial of sorts for a friend from the hippie days who was an avid Olympic Mountains cross country hiker. I took the picture last spring after a snow hike to the summit of Mount Ellinor, WA.

Sometimes the fastlane turns into the tough lane. :shrug:
fastlanephil
KVRist
 
478 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm Re: Redemption

markkuja wrote:Nice restful instrumental song for listen to after hectic day.
Pleasant sounds and ambiance.


I’m glad you found it restful markkuja. That was no doubt my main intention.
sjm
KVRian
 
1451 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Wed May 02, 2018 3:40 pm Re: Redemption

It's a great view on the picture. It makes me want to go hiking/skiing. I guess that's a good thing?

The music itself sounds quite reminiscent of what they like playing in the hotel saunas here when you're relaxing after the day's skiing/hiking in the mountains. Not exactly what I listen to at home, but it's quite appropriate in that setting.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4657 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Wed May 02, 2018 6:49 pm Re: Redemption

Nostalgic and richly melodic. A fitting tribute to your friend. :tu:
fastlanephil
KVRist
 
478 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Fri May 04, 2018 2:37 pm Re: Redemption

sjm wrote:It's a great view on the picture. It makes me want to go hiking/skiing. I guess that's a good thing?

The music itself sounds quite reminiscent of what they like playing in the hotel saunas here when you're relaxing after the day's skiing/hiking in the mountains. Not exactly what I listen to at home, but it's quite appropriate in that setting.


Maybe I should have set this music up better. The strange thing is that I didn’t realize it clearly until after I went to the well attended informal memorial at the person’s house, which has a view of the Olympic Mountains. His rather sudden death was a shock to everyone. I guess it was a wake up call.

Moral of the story is don’t smoke. :(
fastlanephil
KVRist
 
478 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Fri May 04, 2018 2:57 pm Re: Redemption

Frantz wrote:Nostalgic and richly melodic. A fitting tribute to your friend. :tu:


Thanks Frantz!

It definitely has some nostalgic elements.

Example: At 2:00 this section starts with the intro chord change of In My Second Mind From The Steve Miller Band’s 1968 Children Of The Future album.
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8833 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 pm Re: Redemption

Great composition, and I like the way that it slowly builds in intensity.

I find that it can be quite difficult to achieve complete satisfaction when writing "memorial/tribute" music for friends or family, partly because of the many different feelings that need to be expressed. When my father died, I eventually wrote 3 pieces of music, but not immediately. None of them convey everything that I felt, but between them, they managed to say what I wanted.

Good work :)
fastlanephil
KVRist
 
478 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 pm Re: Redemption

seismic1 wrote:Great composition, and I like the way that it slowly builds in intensity.

I find that it can be quite difficult to achieve complete satisfaction when writing "memorial/tribute" music for friends or family, partly because of the many different feelings that need to be expressed. When my father died, I eventually wrote 3 pieces of music, but not immediately. None of them convey everything that I felt, but between them, they managed to say what I wanted.

Good work :)


Hi seimic1,

I’m glad you also liked this music. I guess this was less an expressive outpouring of my individual feelings and more about some sort of transendance for my generation of friends as they confront their own mortality after the loss of one of us.

I didn’t write anything specific after the rather sudden death of my father many years ago although I was able to sing and play the piano at his funeral as a tribute. I did compose a couple of things while I was living with my mother, many years later, as she slowly lost much of her mental faculties initiated by a brain damage episode. She’s now 95, still going strong, and lives on her ranch with a part time caregiver and my brothers and I taking her on the week ends. That’s life.
User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
 
1887 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Thu May 10, 2018 1:52 am Re: Redemption

I feel a resonant sympathy in the music for your friend. Yet it also seems celebratory.
Great choice as a tribute!
Well done.
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
sjm
KVRian
 
1451 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 pm Re: Redemption

Went hiking the other day and this popped into my head again while lying in a field in the sun with my wife. Seemed like a good time to cherish life!

Hiking.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe