Road Noise

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My rent house is literally 20 feet from a highway. Cars, trucks, semis drive by about every 30 seconds.

My computer sits right in front of my bedroom window with a window unit AC/heater. Road noise comes through the window and probably through the AC unit even more.

This make getting a clean recording with a mic pretty difficult.

Any thoughts on how to reduce the noise in my room?

I can't really move to another room.
Gary Shepherd
www.16tracks.com

Very hard to do anything to a structure you do not own. Can't add insulation, can't change windows, etc. It's summer for you I assume but taking the AC out in colder weather will help a lot.

Unidirectional dynamic microphone may help a little. There are sound dampening curtains.

But you're ultimately looking at building an isolation booth.

I do have a small closet in the room where I keep all my instruments. It's about 3'x3'. I'd hate to stick anyone in there for very long though.
Gary Shepherd
www.16tracks.com

Heavy curtains might cut the noise down a bit ... double-glazing would be better (but not practical if you rent).

Closet's not a bad idea and 3x3 is small but enough for vocals. Too cramped for most instruments. But I don't know how much room you have for a larger isolation booth. You could replace the door with something more soundproof and with a window. As long as you can put the original door back it should be okay with regards to your lease. Mount an LED lamp in there and it should flood it with light.

I forgot, they make foam sound dampening arrays you can put around the mic. But I have a feeling it's not going to make much difference in your case and I wouldn't bother. There's probably road rumble shaking the entire housing structure and you're just going to have to filter it. Even if the mic is suspended (which it should be).

Friend of mine lives in Queens by the Belt Parkway and it's noisy as hell but he built an isolation booth and it works well enough for demos. So set your expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Apparently there are mikes similar to noise cancelling headphones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-can ... microphone )

The problem is, if the road noise includes horns and similar noises which are not stationary, noise cancelling has no chance to work.
~stratum~

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”