New song called "Old ass 90's rave"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The song
So after listening to criticisms from my previous tracks, I just went crazy to find what made it sound old.
And again, this was all done on my computer with free samples and VST plugins so please don't complain about the sound quality too much. 
In the title it says "just an idea", meaning I could still add stuff and it's not completely published/complete.

This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

Samuel_S wrote:The song
So after listening to criticisms from my previous tracks, I just went crazy to find what made it sound old.
And again, this was all done on my computer with free samples and VST plugins so please don't complain about the sound quality too much. 
In the title it says "just an idea", meaning I could still add stuff and it's not completely published/complete.

You keep trying to explain away the quality by mentioning that you are using a computer and free samples/vst's. Firstly, a computer is a very flexible tool, and you will get out of it what you put in. It is in no sense a compromise. And, secondly, free doesn't mean bad. There are a ton of fantastic quality free vst's and samples. Again, it is down to you to choose what works best for your track, arrange it such that that there is some compositional interest, and mix it in a way that best demonstrates all elements :tu:

NVM

What el-bo said.

Hope I got the spelling right.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

You keep trying to explain away the quality by mentioning that you are using a computer and free samples/vst's. Firstly, a computer is a very flexible tool, and you will get out of it what you put in. It is in no sense a compromise. And, secondly, free doesn't mean bad. There are a ton of fantastic quality free vst's and samples. Again, it is down to you to choose what works best for your track, arrange it such that that there is some compositional interest, and mix it in a way that best demonstrates all elements :tu:
I know. It's hard trying to please people and it's even harder when I can't find good free samples so it's kinda dumb getting criticized over how shitty something sounds and I can't do anything about it (besides EQing but I don't want to mess anything up, therefore I let it be). I do search "free wav samples" and bla bla bla but nothing fits what I try to make so...yeah.

Samuel_S wrote:

I know. It's hard trying to please people and it's even harder when I can't find good free samples so it's kinda dumb getting criticized over how shitty something sounds and I can't do anything about it (besides EQing but I don't want to mess anything up, therefore I let it be). I do search "free wav samples" and bla bla bla but nothing fits what I try to make so...yeah.
Can I give you some advice? And I'm really truly trying to be helpful here.

When I first started doing orchestral stuff, finding there was nothing free, I went as cheap as I could and got Garritan GPO. In short, it was horrible and sounds like crap. I'm not even sure I got my $200 worth.

I finally went out and got professional orchestral libraries and the difference was night and day.

A lot of people say free is as good as paid and maybe in the world of EDM samples it is. I don't know. But I do know that in my world, this isn't even close to being true.

Throughout life I have found that you get what you pay for. If you want to make stuff that sounds good, you're going to have to pay for it in some way. Either in better samples or better FX or or learning to become a master craftsman who can truly make anything sound good. I think there are few of those around.

Having said that, talk to Layzer. He's a member here who has done tracks using (supposedly) all free stuff and they sound pretty darn good. Listen to one of his tracks and ask him what he used to make it. If it's all free stuff (somehow I doubt it is) get the stuff he uses and see what you can do with it.

Over at the OSC forum there is a link to a list of free synths and FX that you can download at no cost.

As for synths, start out with Synth1. It is arguably the best free synth out there. It is certainly one of the most popular. Between that and some decent free FX, you should be able to make a decent sounding track.

Listen to these Synth1 tracks from a recent OSC.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-94-synth1

There's a link to download all the tracks. Every one is made with Synth1 (free) and all free FX.

Here is where you can see the list of free FX.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/re ... ed-plugins

You will find tons of stuff that obviously can give you decent results if you spend the time to learn the tools.

I hope this helps.

Samuel_S wrote:

Searching for samples to fit into what you already have is always going to be more difficult than if you start with the samples you like, and then compose from there. However, in this case, I think the issues with the track are down to how you are processing, mixing etc. rather than you just not finding very good loops.

Of course, it's always worth exploring making music without using samples (or at least pre-fabricated loops). There are so many fantastic free instruments that don't force you into a 'given' loop sound :shrug:

wagtunes wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:

Can I give you some advice? And I'm really truly trying to be helpful here.

When I first started doing orchestral stuff, finding there was nothing free, I went as cheap as I could and got Garritan GPO. In short, it was horrible and sounds like crap. I'm not even sure I got my $200 worth.

I finally went out and got professional orchestral libraries and the difference was night and day.

A lot of people say free is as good as paid and maybe in the world of EDM samples it is. I don't know. But I do know that in my world, this isn't even close to being true.

Throughout life I have found that you get what you pay for. If you want to make stuff that sounds good, you're going to have to pay for it in some way. Either in better samples or better FX or or learning to become a master craftsman who can truly make anything sound good. I think there are few of those around.

Having said that, talk to Layzer. He's a member here who has done tracks using (supposedly) all free stuff and they sound pretty darn good. Listen to one of his tracks and ask him what he used to make it. If it's all free stuff (somehow I doubt it is) get the stuff he uses and see what you can do with it.

Over at the OSC forum there is a link to a list of free synths and FX that you can download at no cost.

As for synths, start out with Synth1. It is arguably the best free synth out there. It is certainly one of the most popular. Between that and some decent free FX, you should be able to make a decent sounding track.

Listen to these Synth1 tracks from a recent OSC.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-94-synth1

There's a link to download all the tracks. Every one is made with Synth1 (free) and all free FX.

Here is where you can see the list of free FX.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/re ... ed-plugins

You will find tons of stuff that obviously can give you decent results if you spend the time to learn the tools.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. I've heard of Synth1 but never really came across it.

I don't know what these guys are talking about, but, I'm not in front of good monitors right now. That said, underground dance music from that era was done on the budget hardware of the day. You need that crunchy lofi sound of low-bit rate samples.

Your track is fine for where it is at the moment. The question is, what do you want to do with it? At present it sounds a bit like a sample track from one of the sample CDs of the day. My advice is to remove some of the cliche elements and focus a bit more on one or two themes. I liked it more at first then at about 1:20 or so when the straight beat kicked in, is it too loud? You can make something like this both reflective of the past but also a bit more contemporary with a little work.

Also, own your productions! Your title doesn't convey that you do, it conveys either very weak attempt at humor or a lack of confidence in what you're doing. Give it a proper title, one that you believe in.

My advice, go listen to Orbital Diversions and then come back and give this another go.

ghettosynth wrote:I don't know what these guys are talking about, but, I'm not in front of good monitors right now. That said, underground dance music from that era was done on the budget hardware of the day. You need that crunchy lofi sound of low-bit rate samples.

Your track is fine for where it is at the moment. The question is, what do you want to do with it? At present it sounds a bit like a sample track from one of the sample CDs of the day. My advice is to remove some of the cliche elements and focus a bit more on one or two themes. I liked it more at first then at about 1:20 or so when the straight beat kicked in, is it too loud? You can make something like this both reflective of the past but also a bit more contemporary with a little work.

Also, own your productions! Your title doesn't convey that you do, it conveys either very weak attempt at humor or a lack of confidence in what you're doing. Give it a proper title, one that you believe in.

My advice, go listen to Orbital Diversions and then come back and give this another go.
Yeah it's definitely a lack of confidence because I don't wanna be too cocky about something that isn't my best work/completed entirely. If the cliche elements you speak of are the vocal samples, I thought it fit the whole rave thing very well since high-pitched hip hop vox samples were popular back then.

Samuel_S wrote:

Searching for samples to fit into what you already have is always going to be more difficult than if you start with the samples you like, and then compose from there. However, in this case, I think the issues with the track are down to how you are processing, mixing etc. rather than you just not finding very good loops.

Of course, it's always worth exploring making music without using samples (or at least pre-fabricated loops). There are so many fantastic free instruments that don't force you into a 'given' loop sound :shrug:
The way I do things is use good sounding samples (IMO) and put them into any sampler VST and put effects and stuff so that they will fit the vibe I'm going for like in "early 90s cassette jungle". I ripped the sample out of another track and basically made it my own with effects and other adjustments just like that. I can say that maybe I'm doing these samples a terrible job which gives it that implication of inexperience but I'm practicing lol.

Samuel_S wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I don't know what these guys are talking about, but, I'm not in front of good monitors right now. That said, underground dance music from that era was done on the budget hardware of the day. You need that crunchy lofi sound of low-bit rate samples.

Yeah it's definitely a lack of confidence because I don't wanna be too cocky about something that isn't my best work/completed entirely. If the cliche elements you speak of are the vocal samples, I thought it fit the whole rave thing very well since high-pitched hip hop vox samples were popular back then.
I'm not saying that they don't fit, I'm saying that you've overdone them. Even then artists knew that they were seasoning, treat them as such.

I really like this track. Captures a nostalgic vibe that resonates with me.
A well-behaved signature.

Samuel_S wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:

The way I do things is use good sounding samples (IMO) and put them into any sampler VST and put effects and stuff so that they will fit the vibe I'm going for like in "early 90s cassette jungle". I ripped the sample out of another track and basically made it my own with effects and other adjustments just like that. I can say that maybe I'm doing these samples a terrible job which gives it that implication of inexperience but I'm practicing lol.
The difference between the other track and this, like Ghetto seems to convey, is that this later track has too many different elements pulling focus. And they just give you more opportunities to break character.

Samuel_S wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:

The difference between the other track and this, like Ghetto seems to convey, is that this later track has too many different elements pulling focus. And they just give you more opportunities to break character.
Wait I have character now? Cool! but what exactly is my character though?

Return to “Music Cafe”