DnB snare sound

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding these specific sounds? I've got myself DR-008, Wavelab and a bunch of other snare samples but can't find 'that sound'. I'm pretty amature so came to the conclusion that something else must be going on than them just loading up wav files into drum machines.

If this is actually the case, how do you go about manipulating the sounds? That might be a bit of a big question, and I suppose it could also be effects? I'm just dying to find that DnB "DA!" sound. :wink:

Thank for any help!

Just find the right samples, man!! Do a search for the amen break. Generally dnb snares are quite 'snappy', i.e. have a short release and the main frequencies are around 1.6Khz.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

You sure? Is there any good method for tweaking them, or effects worth using? Jus raw samples...

yes, dnb-snares are usually very short. they have a snappy attack and they´re in most cases high-pitched
(oh man, bad english;-))

so you can do the following things:
- increase the pitch of the sample
- decrease the sustain/ release-time with the
envelope-generator (asdr)
- turn down the lower frequencies and boost some
middle-fq
- if you have some dnb-music, than cut some snares
so that you can compare it with your work (with
your sampler or step sequenzer)
- maybe some distortion is usefull (as always:-))
- the best thing is to listen and learn...

greetings from germany

Your english is very good, and your advice sounds very sound too. I'll give what you said a go. Thanks very much 8)

dude just download some breakbeats and chop em up in wavelab. then when you put the snares along with the other drum sounds in your sampler/drum machine what have you route your snare drums to one output, your kicks and hihats, etc. to their own outputs. then use a compressor to fatten up that snare, make it punchy, of course if its a hard snare it will do the job. It takes time to sort thru that stuff, have to really know how to cut up breaks and listen to how they work.

Quite a lot of them are taken from just an MC303 I think (or VERY similar sounding in my humble) so you should maybe get some of those - there was somewhere on the net that had sampled all of the MC303's kits...I forget where but will post if I find.
Use these and maybe pitch-shift them up a bit.
That should do nicely.

Hi

A good few (but not all) D&B producers use Recycle - it is of course a beat slicer from propellerheads (same name for their site) which has a variety of tools for cutting up loops and processing the sound -one of the tools gives a fast attack and clips that part of a sound ( the beggining) - so for a snare drum it gives a mega quick snap to the sound - check the demo out - it might be (will be!) just the thing your looking for!

Flipper.

If you can still get "Drum n Bass - The classic breaks" Vol 1 and 2 CD's from Neutronic (Newtronic?) then you are set. They give you a bunch of loops and a truckload of kicks, snares, etc. This is also where the "MC-303" got some of it's 'jungle snares'. It's always better to go to the source.

Anyway Drum n Bass/Jungle breaks are generally sampled from old funk/soul and rock records, so they have names.

Try searching for some of these loops online and just cut the snares from them:

"Amen" or "Amen Brother"
"Lynn" or "Think"
"Hot Pants" or "Hot Pantz"
"Levee" or "Levee Breaks"
"Raw" or "Raw Thing"
"Paris"
"Plead" or "Helicopter"
"Firefight" or "Tramen"

A good forum for Drum n Bass production exists at www.dogsonacid.com and they used to have a sample archive there but I think it has gone away.

Thank you for all the replies! I'm working on all the stuff said right now.

That "Amen" breakbeat must be the most used drumloop ever. I´m so sick and tired of that sound. Where did it come from originally?

isn't there a dnb kit for dr008 already? have you checked it out?

You could also try arranging your own breaks in a tracker, where you have very precise control. There are a few good freeware trackers out there (Psycle in particular has solid VST/VSTi support).

I know a few folks who get great results from this (Venetian Snares does all his beat sequencing in MED, for example).

Sort of a steep learning curve though.

I also find Acid is really good for complex breaks - lots of control, support for non-4/4 time sigs and
excellent synched pitch shifting.

Erki wrote:That "Amen" breakbeat must be the most used drumloop ever. I´m so sick and tired of that sound. Where did it come from originally?
A funk (see James Brown, The Meters, etc) song by The Winstons called "Amen Brother".

Erki wrote:That "Amen" breakbeat must be the most used drumloop ever. I´m so sick and tired of that sound.
Amen to that.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Return to “Production Techniques”