DnB snare sound

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bunnyboy wrote:However, to further cloud the debate - people have been sucessfully sued for using the same melodies and series of notes before - well, within reason of course
But a melody is always recognisable, if it's played on a tuned instrument :help: argh legal wranglings abound in the music world.

Everything should just be free, then creative potential could really explode and people'd be sampling other people, mucking around with it - all with no problems. The amount of bootlegs and whitelabels by otherwise-anonymous producers that could be sold... Free love :/ It'd be nice, but ah well.
Yarrr!

I was wondering about the amen break - is it basically in the public domain now, or does anyone who uses it theoretically have to clear it? (or is it available on some sample CD somewhere?)
contralogic | YouTube | Twitter | Google+

xen wrote:Everything should just be free, then creative potential could really explode and people'd be sampling other people, mucking around with it - all with no problems. The amount of bootlegs and whitelabels by otherwise-anonymous producers that could be sold... Free love :/ It'd be nice, but ah well.
It's already starting to happen - for example ccmixter.org
contralogic | YouTube | Twitter | Google+

wicked! :D
chris_b wrote:I was wondering about the amen break - is it basically in the public domain now, or does anyone who uses it theoretically have to clear it? (or is it available on some sample CD somewhere?)

It might as well be, the Winstons won't ever bother seeking back royalties because it'd be impossible to track down all the producers who've used it (hell, even the BBC have had tracks played on their TV shows / idents which has the amen in, so I'm pretty sure if their lawyers oked it then it's fine by me. It's available on sample CDs everywhere - no self-respecting sample CD would be without it. ;)
Yarrr!

Lady J wrote: "Amen" or "Amen Brother"
"Lynn" or "Think"
"Hot Pants" or "Hot Pantz"
"Levee" or "Levee Breaks"
"Raw" or "Raw Thing"
"Paris"
"Plead" or "Helicopter"
"Firefight" or "Tramen"
:uhuhuh: dont confuse the firefight and tramen, mate :wink:
A good forum for Drum n Bass production exists at www.dogsonacid.com and they used to have a sample archive there but I think it has gone away.
Though I post there a lot, I fuckin hate that place! :hihi:

Tramen break was created by Dom of Dom & Roland and first used in, er... cant remember :oops:

It is a combination of two breaks - the firefight (also called trustfight) and the amen

i think...!
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

Hmmm, interesting stuff. I've always programmed my own beats. Which is why I am shite, probably.

Lady J any news on Crewsade yet? :D

Chase Altertone wrote:
A good forum for Drum n Bass production exists at www.dogsonacid.com and they used to have a sample archive there but I think it has gone away.
Though I post there a lot, I fuckin hate that place! :hihi:
Amen! [ironic groan] :roll:
"God...He's my favourite fictional character." Homer.

The tramen uses three breaks - amen, firefight and samurai.

I was reading an interview where he was talking all about it (Dom) - I could've sworn it was on this forum, but I can't seem to find it with the Search. I'll keep on looking...
Yarrr!

Yarrr!

Bunnyboy wrote:Tramen break was created by Dom of Dom & Roland and first used in, er... cant remember :oops:

It is a combination of two breaks - the firefight (also called trustfight) and the amen

i think...!
The Firefight is a combo of Tramen and tighten up break, distorted a bit.

and about trace using it in mutant revisited, is it me or is that track seriously unimpressive? There was no reason for it to be so famous.

I make a lot of d&b and nu skool breaks stuff. Trust me its all in the pitching and layering. Dont think of it as one snare, the snare in a beat is usually the sum of several snares.

My advice is to import 5 or 6 breaks into your sequencer, chop them up and start stacking and rearranging bits and pieces. If your break lacks top end, pitch some of the hits up and octave and layer that on top. This works great for hats. If you need more bottom, find a deep sounding kick from a synth or whatever and though that it. Be careful to line everything up perfect to get the beat to gel right. Finally send the lots to a buss with a nice squishy compressor and its jobs a gooden.

Believe me, if you think you'll get the right sound by tarting around with a single sampled snare, then you're definately onto a bad'un.

xen wrote:
If you sampled the entire song, then yes you'd have to pay copyright royalties. However, you can argue that an individual sound from a record isn't copyrightable as it's not distinguishable to be recognisable - so all you're doing when you take breaks, slice them up and make them into your own is taking a random collection of sounds and processing them into something beautiful (or not, but that's your fault).

No law against copyrighting random sounds, if there was I'd © the sound of a cough and make a trillion trillion kazillion squillion buckaroonies
Mate, EVERY bit of audio has copyright. Dont matter whether its a Boyzone chorus or an 8bit effort of your dog farting. However, this type of copyright is so f**ked up that it really doesnt work anymore. People are sampling stuff, and then selling it on legal sample CD's as there own work without clearance! It seems that if you create a new sound out of sampled material, then you can call it your own. The law doesnt validate this, but it is definately the truth of the matter.

So as long as the sounds are no longer recognisable then you're going to be alright. But it is never the less worth remembering that nothing is free, if you use a sound you 'could' get shit for it. You wont, but you COULD.

I thought we needed more necro topics and couldn't find any older than 2004. Still using the Amen break today on occasion though it's much more amusing to swap out the drum hits and replace them with various grunts, groans and especially the snares with farts. Try it, you might like it. :phones:

Return to “Production Techniques”