DnB snare sound

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The GMedia distro of the DR-008 came with a jungle kit that has a couple nice snares in it.

Equilibrium, also you may want to apply bit reducers.

Use envelopes carefully (Snares should be snappy with fast decay, but some quiet tail also must be present imho, so don't set sustain to zero). Layering different snares also helps sometimes (You can even take a snappy attack from one sample and smooth release from another). Experiment. :)

Also Bourbon Breaks site is a must for breaks.

[added] Highpitched drums were rather in oldschool jungle because producers often just played 100-120 bpm breaks at a higher speed.

And you can do alot of it by simply playing at higher pitches. Sure sometimes there's lots of fancy processing going on, but I've lost count of the times I've heard D'nB tracks that simply pitched up drums and beats. Load up sample into C3 - chop (optional) then play at G3. Ain't no science or magic to that. :wink:

justified wrote:
Only illegal samples there it seems :?

mindless wrote:
justified wrote:
The whole genre in question comes from people who were lifting loops (illegally), using warez (illegally), to construct tunes to be played on pirate radio stations (illegally) and at raves (illegally) often funded by the traffic in illegal substances. It seems a bit odd someone would worry about the legality of a snare sample when they are making DnB.

It seems a bit odd someone would worry about the legality of a snare sample when they are making DnB.
I guess it does seem a bit odd, but at least someone is concerned with copyright infringement.

Thanks for the replies still working hard at getting that sound. Haven't done everything recommended yet but it takes a while! Thanks to all! :wink:

Lady J wrote:It seems a bit odd someone would worry about the legality of a snare sample when they are making DnB.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

snooky wrote:
justified wrote:

A break isn't copyrightable. If it was, the session drummer who drummed on Amen Brother would've gotten millions in royalties (literally) from all the times his break's been used in jungle tracks over the past 15 years.
Yarrr!

The whole genre in question comes from people who were lifting loops (illegally), using warez (illegally), to construct tunes to be played on pirate radio stations (illegally) and at raves (illegally) often funded by the traffic in illegal substances. It seems a bit odd someone would worry about the legality of a snare sample when they are making DnB.
hehe.. its all so true too.

I've spent countless hours constructing dnb kits and i suggest looking through many samples of all kinds. A pitched up 'Linn Drums' snare and kick is some of the punchiest sound anything can make, also look through some jazz kits and try pitching up slightly the sounds to see what happens.

Roland kits are great too. eg. Roland SPD-20 Total Percussion Pad WAV is nice and so are the EMU soundfonts like Planet Phatt and Pure Phat. They are real nice.. Refills such as 160 db dnb, 260 db dnb, Drum n Bass Warfare 1 - 3 are all good for breaks and you can find good snares in there too.

PSP Vintage Warmer, Sonalksis Compressor and Arguru Stardust v1.5 VST - free are my drum beef-up plugins of choice!
listen to my tunes here:
http://soundcloud.com/damien-chamizo

xen wrote:
snooky wrote:
justified wrote:

A break isn't copyrightable. If it was, the session drummer who drummed on Amen Brother would've gotten millions in royalties (literally) from all the times his break's been used in jungle tracks over the past 15 years.
Erm, yes it is, cos you are sampling it from a recording that is has copyright.

Kriminal wrote:Erm, yes it is, cos you are sampling it from a recording that is has copyright.
Cool. I see a sensible discussion arising here... :hyper: :) :roll:

When you sample the amen, try your very best to clear it. If they don't reply after a year, just use it.

(is that legitimation valid for you KVR members?)

Another thing: It's unethical to sample. If everyone was sampling everyone else, SOON there would be NOTHING left to sample from

brilliant :lol: :lol:

On topic: Sample the "Think", "Amen", "Tighten Up" and "Sesame Street" snares and pitch them for instant clichée D&B sound.
Last edited by declassified on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The thing is, with the Amen, the Winstons were actually contacted by one of the guys from DOA (dogsonacid.com, arguably the biggest drum & bass forum in the world), and they had absolutely no idea that their humble break from what was a B side on one of their singles has become (after a bit of... special sauce added) arguably THE defining drumbreak of this genre.

If you sampled the entire song, then yes you'd have to pay copyright royalties. However, you can argue that an individual sound from a record isn't copyrightable as it's not distinguishable to be recognisable - so all you're doing when you take breaks, slice them up and make them into your own is taking a random collection of sounds and processing them into something beautiful (or not, but that's your fault).

No law against copyrighting random sounds, if there was I'd © the sound of a cough and make a trillion trillion kazillion squillion buckaroonies
Yarrr!

However, to further cloud the debate - people have been sucessfully sued for using the same melodies and series of notes before - well, within reason of course
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

I still love the Amen snare, but the best thing to do is to get a snare sound and tweak it so that it is very snappy and short.

THEN make multiple versions of it at different pitches for ghost hits
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

Return to “Production Techniques”