E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

planetearth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 pm ... require different drivers ...
On the creative.com you can look for drivers for 1616m / 1212m / 0404 pcie, download them and binary compare. I have just done it and see no differences (I found 2.30 version drivers for each of that interfaces).
planetearth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 pm ... 1820m ...
For 1820m creative.com shows different from 2.30 drivers. But I googled "1820m beta driver" and found that people use 2.30 beta successfully with 1820m. (And first message of this topic says it should work).
planetearth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 pm ... The error message you posted in the README.md is the same message people would get using the 0404 PCIe driver with the 1616/1616m or 1820m (which are basically the same card underneath) ...
Can you provide links for such cases please? In view of the above I think it should work but maybe I am wrong.

Found this on the gearspace.com:
AudioGaff wrote:The 1010 PCI/PCie + 0202 Analog card = 1212m 1010 PCI/PCIe + MicroDock =1616/1616M. The 1010 PCI card with Firewire connector + AudioDock =1820/1820m 1010 PCI w/Firewire connector can only be used with 1820/1820m AudioDock. The non Firewire 1010 PCI/PCIe card can only be used with 1616/1616M MicroDock.
Important note about driver version: creative.com provides drivers with version = 2.30. But people use 2.30 BETA. It was available on the emu.com once but now can not be downloaded from official sources AFAIK. I use beta driver and topicstarter sherwoodsound uses it too.

First I would like to thank all who work so hard to keep these cards alive! My 0404 pci card works excellently for input/output
but I'm struggling with getting a good recording from a karaoke site in a Chrome browser. It seems to be hit and miss, but for the majority of the time(95%) I get a choppy recording. I was happy with XP for years until they updated their UI (they originally had a flash app) which required a version of Chrome that Windows XP could not run. I had a hodge-podge kludge working on my earlier PC where I ran one side of the output into the line in of the motherboard, but I'm hoping someone might have a better solution.
I've been messing with an app called VoiceMeeter, but I suspect it will add unacceptable lag to what is normally a near perfect audio mix. Wave file in is okay, and the line ins from the card are okay, and the line outs from the card are okay, just the recording in the browser. It looks like it might have been built using Angular if that's any help..., it hasn't been for me so far.

Update: VoiceMeeter gave me the solution. I used ASIO 1&2 send and picked it up in VoiceMeeter (I had to make some adjustments in VoiceMeeters settings to get the correct sample rate), then I selected VoiceMeeter as the input to the browser recorder. No more crackling, it comes through clear as a bell and with no lag as everything starts off in the card.

I hope my 0404 never dies!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi! Well, after 22h2 i've changed something and basically i got few audigy cards and 1212m was working together with Xtreme Audio. So i was messing hard with drivers and what i found is new Audigy Rx driver with installer for win10.
https://support.creative.com/Products/P ... +Audigy+Rx (https://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&prodID=21723&prodName=Sound+Blaster+Audigy+Rx)
i had to install XtremeAudio driver first, maybe it is not neccessary, but then when i install 2_30_BETA - i had E-DSP and E-DSP2 not working with PatchMix, but if i just switch driver for "X-Fi audio processor" - hello, world - it works.
https://support.creative.com/Products/P ... ofessional (https://support.creative.com/Products/Products.aspx?catid=237&CatName=E-MU+%2F+Creative+Professional) - here you can get 2.30.00 maybe there is beta as well.
So the next trouble was with ASIO - and there we go for Rx drivers, i've take 59 and 56, and if you unpack 56B.exe you'll find SBA5_PCDRV_L11_3_01_0056B\Audio\DriversWin10 setup.exe - go for it, reboot and you're good to go.
Maybe you didn't have such a problem after using scripts, basically it makes the same work by copying needed files, but it's ver L11_3_01 - seems to be be more contemporary. And you can skip the first step with XAudio prob, just set the working "audio processor" and then just update drivers.
At least it allows to choose 96Khz profile in PatchMix and DAW now, so it's a way better.

symbiants wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:36 am Hi! Well, after 22h2 i've changed something and basically i got few audigy cards and 1212m was working together with Xtreme Audio. So i was messing hard with drivers and what i found is new Audigy Rx driver with installer for win10.
https://support.creative.com/Products/P ... +Audigy+Rx
i had to install XtremeAudio driver first, maybe it is not neccessary, but then when i install 2_30_BETA - i had E-DSP and E-DSP2 not working with PatchMix, but if i just switch driver for "X-Fi audio processor" - hello, world - it works.
https://support.creative.com/Products/P ... ofessional - here you can get 2.30.00 maybe there is beta as well.
So the next trouble was with ASIO - and there we go for Rx drivers, i've take 59 and 56, and if you unpack 56B.exe you'll find SBA5_PCDRV_L11_3_01_0056B\Audio\DriversWin10 setup.exe - go for it, reboot and you're good to go.
Maybe you didn't have such a problem after using scripts, basically it makes the same work by copying needed files, but it's ver L11_3_01 - seems to be be more contemporary. And you can skip the first step with XAudio prob, just set the working "audio processor" and then just update drivers.
At least it allows to choose 96Khz profile in PatchMix and DAW now, so it's a way better.
I am using the E-MU 1820M on a Windows 10 21H2, but I cannot use it and the X-Fi Elite Pro on the same computer at the same time. In my environment, the E-MU 1820M and the X-Fi Elite Pro share the same driver files, and installing one of them seems to overwrite the other and prevent the other from working properly. Is there an installation method that allows me to use two Creative cards at the same time?

yuk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:59 pm I am using the E-MU 1820M on a Windows 10 21H2, but I cannot use it and the X-Fi Elite Pro on the same computer at the same time. In my environment, the E-MU 1820M and the X-Fi Elite Pro share the same driver files, and installing one of them seems to overwrite the other and prevent the other from working properly. Is there an installation method that allows me to use two Creative cards at the same time?
i was using 2 cards actually the way i described.
so you install 1820 first, but remove the x-fi from computer.
the thing is about to set the 1820 as the first x-fi device, then you can install a second device, maybe you will need to remove one and install first driver set, then install another card and drivers, then switch back to one and then install second. they were working together for me, but in 19h2 or 20h2, now i decided that 3 cards is too much, there is a mobo audio as well and also hdmi. So in my case sharing one driver wasn't a big problem, it was just about using different device name for old one, actually using newer Audigy Rx driver is the same matter. And i also had a problem with that, when i was installing drivers for devices using both of them - they were not able to switch to another version and they were trying to remove it from active device - and that was a blue screen. So in this case go F8 or somehow get to safe boot (or just remove that card) and uninstall all installed drivers - there is uninstall switch with setup. After that install it one by one - it's about using same driver version for both, for they were not trying to change .dlls .sys for active device.

It's cool to see that plenty of people are still using their E-MU cards. When I built my previous music production PC I specifically sought out a motherboard with a legacy PCI slot so I could retain my 0404 which continues to meet my needs for stereo work.

I followed the instructions on this thread and have been using my faithful 1820m 1212m PCI combo perfectly on windows 10. this was about 6moths ago when I did it.

However now im thinking about upgrading my motherboard and CPU and I am confused about the PCI/ PCie slot difference. new motherboards I have seen dont have PCI slots.
on ebay I have seen PCIe to PCI adapter cards - but i imagine if I use one of these - the card wont sit properly on the back of my computer case because the PCI adapters I have seen add height so it is raised.
has anyone else encountered this? should i look for a motherboard with a legacy PCI slot?
long live the 1212m

lethimfish wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:22 am I followed the instructions on this thread and have been using my faithful 1820m 1212m PCI combo perfectly on windows 10. this was about 6moths ago when I did it.

However now im thinking about upgrading my motherboard and CPU and I am confused about the PCI/ PCie slot difference. new motherboards I have seen dont have PCI slots.
on ebay I have seen PCIe to PCI adapter cards - but i imagine if I use one of these - the card wont sit properly on the back of my computer case because the PCI adapters I have seen add height so it is raised.
has anyone else encountered this? should i look for a motherboard with a legacy PCI slot?
long live the 1212m
I purchased a Fractal case with "vertical GPU slots" specifically for using an adapter/riser board. Kept the card and daughter card vertically adjacent to the PCIe slots on the mobo. Worked fantastic until an update killed support for the adapter. Make sure you get one that is supported under Windows 11.

pandashake wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:37 pm
I purchased a Fractal case with "vertical GPU slots" specifically for using an adapter/riser board. Kept the card and daughter card vertically adjacent to the PCIe slots on the mobo. Worked fantastic until an update killed support for the adapter. Make sure you get one that is supported under Windows 11.
I havnt heard of that before. But I have read about alot of people running into problems when using PCIe to PCI adapter cards. After doing a bit more reading the safe option seems to be trying to find a motherboard with Legacy PCI and that takes the latest gen cpu.

I just bought a GIGABYTE H470 Hd3 - which says it takes 10th and 11th gen intel CPU (which will be quite an upgrade from my 2nd gen i7 2600k). Ill post back here once I get it up and running in a month or so.

another motherboard with Legacy PCI that seems to be more common I nearly got was the GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P.
These were both 2nd hand or old stock - I called a bunch of computer shops and I could not find any brand new motherboards with Legacy PCI.

E-mu 1616m and E-mu 1820m works perfectly in Windows 11 22H2, including ASIO mode.

I was earlier not able to get my 1820m running under Win 11 (latest) after upgrading from Win 10. However, today I tried removing driver, then manually deleting each file the script copies in, removing the PCI bridge and card (done earlier), rebooting to a clean state with respect to 1820m and the PCI bridge, then shut down and reinstall PCI bridge and EMU hardware, reboot and follow the instructions to install beta driver and the script, and it is now working perfectly. I did opamp upgrades to OP1656 and complete recap on two 1820m last year hoping to stretch them out a few more years, since it would cost a fortune to buy two eight channel systems with the SQ of these after the upgrades. Both 1820m working great now, one on a WIN10 box and the other on a Win11 box using a dual PCI bridge adapter!

I'm using this adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/143648841107?_ ... %3A2047675.

This post was a life saver. Thank you! Got everything working in Windows 10 Pro 22H2 for the Emu 1820M.

Edit: I had to run the following administrator cmd to get ASIO to show up in 64bit programs (Emu ASIO is not an option in 32 bit programs. If anyone knows how to get this working, please share!). Just changing the AsioThk32Reg reg key to CTASIO64.DLL did not work for me...

regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\ctasio64.dll

I'm not sure what programs you're working with, but VoiceMeeter might help with your issues. It's free (but a donation is appreciated). It solved my problem with my EMU 0404 interacting with Windows 10 (choppy sound due to incompatible sample rates). I ran the ASIO out from the DSP mixer to VoiceMeeter, adjusted the sample rate to match the EMU card and sent it back through the VoiceMeeter output. Now everything that wants an input source can use VoiceMeeter and I've had no problems with it as yet.

Hi, my question is not related to drivers. I have a 0404 PCI card that I bought used and always use it to listen to music. The problem is that I'm trying to connect a microphone to the line input plug but it can't get a signal, it's completely dead (the microphone works fine through another onboard sound input). I already tried to reset the EMU Patch Mix to see if there was something wrong in the configuration but still no signal comes in. Does anyone know if I have to configure something in particular or is it probably due to a cable and/or card problem?

Can someone help me with Emu 0404 Pcie? I have done everything from fix suggestion, but when I start Patchmix it gives me an error "You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware to load the session in your system" and I don't have any sound, does anyone know to fix that?
Dean Pokorny

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”