What guitar gear have you bought/are you buying/will you buy?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:02 pm
tapper mike wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:02 pm I'm focusing on a new computer. Well refurb. My computer is ten years old now and many software titles, plugins that I want to buy simply are too powerful for my current one.
Intel or AMD?

Intel.
This is what I'm aiming for.
Dell Refurbished
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I need to make a new PC as well, tho I am loathe to do it. I can just get by with buying a new main board, cpu and mem kit tho. Likely it will still cost more than that refurbished dell tho, sadly.

I got away with only updating my CPU last time I did it, AMD 2700x to 5900, next time won’t be so lucky, could get pricey.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Yeah it sucks, I've gotten nearly 12 yrs out of this one tho, I cant really complain too much. Might be time to jump back on the old AMD bandwagon as well. I don't actually want to think about it yet tho :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:35 pm Yeah it sucks, I've gotten nearly 12 yrs out of this one tho, I cant really complain too much. Might be time to jump back on the old AMD bandwagon as well. I don't actually want to think about it yet tho :shrug:
It depends on what software you are planning to run on it. Personally, I would go for AMD 5600 + 16 GB + 1 TB SSD and RX 6600 (still there are some in stock). I would go for B550 motherboard. I don't use lots of sampler, and the synths I need are minimum, so this setup is great for me.

I only would spend on a good silent case, good PSU with 650w and a good IPS monitor (1080p is enough really!). It is eco system but I can play latest games on it as well. (my current system is slightly higher than this and I feel it overkill for my needs!).

EnGee wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:25 pm
pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:35 pm Yeah it sucks, I've gotten nearly 12 yrs out of this one tho, I cant really complain too much. Might be time to jump back on the old AMD bandwagon as well. I don't actually want to think about it yet tho :shrug:
It depends on what software you are planning to run on it. Personally, I would go for AMD 5600 + 16 GB + 1 TB SSD and RX 6600 (still there are some in stock). I would go for B550 motherboard. I don't use lots of sampler, and the synths I need are minimum, so this setup is great for me.

I only would spend on a good silent case, good PSU with 650w and a good IPS monitor (1080p is enough really!). It is eco system but I can play latest games on it as well. (my current system is slightly higher than this and I feel it overkill for my needs!).
Thanks, yea I dont know. I'll get round to figuring out what I want to spend and all. I future proofed pretty well when I built this one. A stupidly expensive aluminum case that can
accommodate appropriate form factors etc. I literally should be able to just drop in a new
board, chip and ram. A decent, but not crazy GPU after that...

pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:58 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:25 pm

Thanks, yea I dont know. I'll get round to figuring out what I want to spend and all. I future proofed pretty well when I built this one. A stupidly expensive aluminum case that can
accommodate appropriate form factors etc. I literally should be able to just drop in a new
board, chip and ram. A decent, but not crazy GPU after that...
Yes, this is the way to do it. A good case, monitor and probably PSU, then they can last an upgrade or two.

The problems with the new PC CPUs are the temperature and power. They seem to hit a wall in efficiency. That's why I bought an M1 mini. It is a great system except for gaming. I usually buy the guitar learning books on it because they are with a better readability than Kindle and cheaper than Google books store. The problem is I can't use Mac books on PC, so I need to be tied to that system. Anyway, with my PC (Ryzen 5800x and nVidia 3070) I feel more freedom especially I'm using now Linux more than Windows and it runs great. I'm not missing that much from Mac or Windows.

EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:15 am I usually buy the guitar learning books on it because they are with a better readability than Kindle and cheaper than Google books store. The problem is I can't use Mac books on PC, so I need to be tied to that system. Anyway, with my PC (Ryzen 5800x and nVidia 3070) I feel more freedom especially I'm using now Linux more than Windows and it runs great. I'm not missing that much from Mac or Windows.
I can't recall how I did it, it might have been using WINE and Kindle on Linux. I was able to import my Kindle library into Calibre. Might be a similar option for your books. They can be then viewed as PDF, EPUB, etc.

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:23 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:15 am I usually buy the guitar learning books on it because they are with a better readability than Kindle and cheaper than Google books store. The problem is I can't use Mac books on PC, so I need to be tied to that system. Anyway, with my PC (Ryzen 5800x and nVidia 3070) I feel more freedom especially I'm using now Linux more than Windows and it runs great. I'm not missing that much from Mac or Windows.
I can't recall how I did it, it might have been using WINE and Kindle on Linux. I was able to import my Kindle library into Calibre. Might be a similar option for your books. They can be then viewed as PDF, EPUB, etc.
Kindle is not a problem, but I don't have many books in Kindle because of the bad quality. I have most of them in "Books" in my mini Mac. I can access them in my iPad, but I couldn't find a way to access them in Windows or Linux. Not a big problem as I can find pdf version of the books somewhere, but I thought I could access them through iTunes or something else. Apparently, I can't do that.

EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:09 pm Kindle is not a problem, but I don't have many books in Kindle because of the bad quality. I have most of them in "Books" in my mini Mac. I can access them in my iPad, but I couldn't find a way to access them in Windows or Linux. Not a big problem as I can find pdf version of the books somewhere, but I thought I could access them through iTunes or something else. Apparently, I can't do that.
If it's iBooks?
How to Convert iBooks to PDF
https://pdf.easeus.com/pdf-knowledge-ce ... f.html#pdf

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:32 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:09 pm Kindle is not a problem, but I don't have many books in Kindle because of the bad quality. I have most of them in "Books" in my mini Mac. I can access them in my iPad, but I couldn't find a way to access them in Windows or Linux. Not a big problem as I can find pdf version of the books somewhere, but I thought I could access them through iTunes or something else. Apparently, I can't do that.
If it's iBooks?
How to Convert iBooks to PDF
https://pdf.easeus.com/pdf-knowledge-ce ... f.html#pdf
Thank you! I will try it tomorrow and write my feedback :)

Update:
The free tools are not working with my OS (Sonoma). I mean it can't open the books. Some of them I could open in normal e-book reader, but others are with DRM protection. I think Apple has updated their DRM (which is silly to be that restricted!).

There are however commercial solutions, but I won't bother to buy them just to read books. I found pdf files for two books I need (in case i want to read them in Linux or Windows). I however will use my Mac when I want to read guitar books or practice guitar :)

I recently bought a Tim Henson signature from Ibanez, the classic one, and a Fender Squier Contemporary Active Jazzmaster HH, actually I'm wondering what's the bigger strings I can mount on this having a scale of 648mm, I tried a Baritone set but having a tremolo the bridge just can't take it. Anyone has suggestions?

Jeff McErlain's Blues Guitar Survival Guide - Lead - $8.70 I find him a good teacher.
https://truefire.com/blues-guitar-lesso ... -lead/c246
https://youtu.be/2RwyxsNje-0
Includes
69 Video Lessons
24 Charts (.pdf)
32 Jam Tracks (.mp3)
18 Tabs (.gp5 or .ptb)
Runtime: 04:22:44
Download Size: 2.12 GB

My referral code - we both $30 TrueFire cash and you get 14 days of Free All Access to 50,000+ Guitar Lesson
https://truefire.com/ignite/?code=Noodla

sonoiosonoqui wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:57 am I recently bought a Tim Henson signature from Ibanez, the classic one, and a Fender Squier Contemporary Active Jazzmaster HH, actually I'm wondering what's the bigger strings I can mount on this having a scale of 648mm, I tried a Baritone set but having a tremolo the bridge just can't take it. Anyone has suggestions?
I’m guessing the tremolo has space for 5 springs and only has 3 installed. If so, add the missing springs.

Well guess what, you were right, I managed to mount a 72 low E string with the added springs, thanks so much! While I'm here anybody knows any great website for customised pickguards for Jazzmaster? And active pickup covers?

Return to “Guitars”