Uhbik 2.0 public alpha 02, rev. 9629 (Catalina ready)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

N3ee wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:48 pm Hi guys, i’ve been waiting for three years now for the final versions. I bought it just for that with hope. Please pick up the pace. ❤️🙏
Yes, there's been three years, but there have also been some unusual events that have delayed things.........such as the worst pandemic the world has seen in the last 100 years. :P

Be patient. Urs & crew are good for it. :hug:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Didn't that only whole ordeal, only last for around about one year? And most people (especially those working with computers) just carried on working from home, pretty much as normal, even during that period?

I don't feel that is the best excuse for you to have used, especially given the fact that, with a few days left before we're in 2024, there's already been around two and a half years since that period, where there has not really been any such issues, for most businesses.

The main excuse is that at the beginning of the pandemic, the two developers who had done major work on Uhbik and who were supposed to finish it that year have sought different employment. Finding replacement was difficult, and it meant that new developers had to have at least a year of experience with our stuff to get into things. To accomplish any of it, we decided to do our planned work on MFM2 and Filterscape first. The Filterscape update has recently been released, and the team has moved on to Uhbik, currently trying to salvage some of the unfinished work those two developers left behind.

MrJubbly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:05 pm Didn't that only whole ordeal, only last for around about one year? And most people (especially those working with computers) just carried on working from home, pretty much as normal, even during that period?
People are still getting and recovering from Covid. One friend of mine got Covid a year ago. To this day she has not fully recovered and only recently was able to safely drive her car for the first time in a year. Her partner does computer work but their life was turned upside down.

I had Covid twice and it is not like a normal cold/flu. A significant percentage of people who get it have longer term neurological effects, including those who had only minor initial symptoms.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:08 pm
MrJubbly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:05 pm Didn't that only whole ordeal, only last for around about one year? And most people (especially those working with computers) just carried on working from home, pretty much as normal, even during that period?
People are still getting and recovering from Covid. One friend of mine got Covid a year ago. To this day she has not fully recovered and only recently was able to safely drive her car for the first time in a year. Her partner does computer work but their life was turned upside down.

I had Covid twice and it is not like a normal cold/flu. A significant percentage of people who get it have longer term neurological effects, including those who had only minor initial symptoms.
My missus is a longhauler. Our lives completely upended by this and what its done to her, not me (although, I'm sure I have new issues not present before the start). Lots of doctors involved as she's part of several studies that are focused on finding answers for causation, as well curative measures, but alas... not everyone is affected the same.

That last part is what's difficult to get across...

So many were unaffected in every way, so it's difficult for them to understand how others could have had it worse.

Fun times we are living in.

It just felt strange for you to bring that up in this thread, in what is practically 2024, in response to what the other member had posted. As your response didn't really seem relevant to the situation.

Did you know before posting, whether anyone from u-he actually suffered with the issues you suggested? As that doesn't appear to have really been a major factor, from u-he's response above.

However, as u-he have now stated, two major developers leaving the project, on the other hand, would most certainly have impacted the development progress. Which is completely understandable. And as appears to have been the case, in this situation. That makes much more sense than the premise you had suggested.

MrJubbly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:35 pm

It just felt strange for you to bring that up in this thread, in what is practically 2024, in response to what the other member had posted. As your response didn't really seem relevant to the situation.

Did you know before posting, whether anyone from u-he actually suffered with the issues you suggested? As that doesn't appear to have really been a major factor, from u-he's response above.

However, as u-he have now stated, two major developers leaving the project, on the other hand, would most certainly have impacted the development progress. Which is completely understandable. And as appears to have been the case, in this situation. That makes much more sense than the premise you had suggested.
I'm sure he's bringing it up because it's pretty shitty to hear or see someone be so dismissive of something that has been absolutely devastating for some.

Like, yay, congrats your life is great. Good for you, but no need to assume it's the same for others, and worse... double down on it even after learning it's not that way for others.

The biggest lesson that really does allow life to be easier to accept after all this is that some people are just selfish, and that's cool. Really it is. People are always going to look out for their best interests, and in many ways, I'm doing the same... even explaining all this to someone who likely doesn't care. I have to look at it as a therapeutic activity to respond and say what I want instead of something conversational where I believe someone like you could change or care.

elxsound wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:42 pm I'm sure he's bringing it up because it's pretty shitty to hear or see someone be so dismissive of something that has been absolutely devastating for some.

Like, yay, congrats your life is great. Good for you, but no need to assume it's the same for others, and worse... double down on it even after learning it's not that way for others.

The biggest lesson that really does allow life to be easier to accept after all this is that some people are just selfish, and that's cool. Really it is. People are always going to look out for their best interests, and in many ways, I'm doing the same... even explaining all this to someone who likely doesn't care. I have to look at it as a therapeutic activity to respond and say what I want instead of something conversational where I believe someone like you could change or care.
Firstly, you don't know anything whatsoever about my personal life, so let's not have you add yet another false assumption into the mix.

As for your other assumptions, it was in fact the other way around. Just look at the start of the comment chain.

Wherein, I merely asked why that was introduced as the reason for the delay to this product's development.

From u-he's subsequent answer, it transpired that indeed was not the case. With u-he's stated reason for the delay, also making far more sense. With two of the major developers having left the project, for other employment (i.e. nothing to do with illness or suchlike).

So, thanks to u-he, for officially clarifying that incorrect assumption.

Now that's cleared up, can we all just move on?..

MrJubbly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:42 pm
elxsound wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:42 pm I'm sure he's bringing it up because it's pretty shitty to hear or see someone be so dismissive of something that has been absolutely devastating for some.

Firstly, you don't know anything whatsoever about my personal life, so let's not have you add yet another false assumption into the mix.

As for your other assumptions, it was in fact the other way around. Just look at the start of the comment chain.

Wherein, I merely asked why that was introduced as the reason for the delay to this product's development.

From u-he's subsequent answer, it transpired that indeed was not the case. With u-he's stated reason for the delay, also making far more sense. With two of the major developers having left the project, for other employment (i.e. nothing to do with illness or suchlike).

So, thanks to u-he, for officially clarifying that incorrect assumption.

Now that's cleared up, can we all just move on?..
Oh, cool, so you ignore what you wrote in your post.

I definitely don't know you, but the indignation wasn't a surprise at all.

But feel free to defend yourself as you see fit. I see absolutely no reason to change or alter anything I wrote. It still seems very fitting.

Have a good one!

I don't feel that is the best excuse for you to have used, especially given the fact that, with a few days left before we're in 2024, there's already been around two and a half years since that period, where there has not really been any such issues, for most businesses.

:shrug:
Yeah, maybe enough has been said...

And whilst the delay for new releases from u-he is always frustrating, and the time since the initial release of Zebra 2 is more distant than that of the last published main "Games of Thrones" book by George R.R. Martin (A Dance with Dragons), there have been releases that have expanded Zebra, as well as adding new plugins to the u-he family.

Quality, real quality, often takes time to do to yield something that will be still be relevant a decade or so later.

And for that, I can wait.

MrJubbly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:35 pm It just felt strange for you to bring that up in this thread, in what is practically 2024, in response to what the other member had posted. As your response didn't really seem relevant to the situation.

I wasn't speculating about u-he at all. I responded to your assertion that Covid was over in a year and didn't have a lot of impact on people who could do computer work from home.

That's not the case at all. The worldwide impact is still being felt and is still happening. The world is not close to being back to where it was and countless businesses have been slower because of it.

Anyway, this is off-topic, otherwise I would write some paragraphs and cite some sources. Not the place for it, so this is my last post on the subject... back to u-he stuff :tu:

MrJubbly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:35 pm

I said that there had been some unusual “events”. Note: The “s” means more than one. Certainly, the pandemic slowed everyone down to sone degree. Losing developers would certainly be another reason. If examined very closely, I’m sure other reasons could be mentioned as well. My point, however, remains relevant—unforeseen events delayed things, but have no fear and be patient—Urs & Co won’t let you down.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Well, it's a complex topic, isn't it. Only about two months ago I was sure that "this was it" and Covid's just a another endemic flu type of thing. But then people all around us including coworkers and myself got it again, and yet again some of them are affected very badly. Our recent soundset release was done by half of the people normally working on this, and that of course affects other schedules as well. Then, our hopes to get Zebralette3 into beta testing before x-mas were crushed by Covid. We'll probably make it to NAMM, but we have to compromise on features.

Our staff has resumed testing daily before coming to the office during the cold months.

Several people at u-he are or have close ones with elevated risk factors. The precautions we take may seem extreme at times, and they surely do affect productivity in various ways. Like, we won't do as much pair programming as we'd love to and we'd have a lot more remote work than we wish for, and while remote work scores equal hours or more, it still does not have the same quality as two people meeting face to face.

The process of evaluating progress, tasks and visions for a project like Uhbik is not ideal in this situation. We have since Filterscape release not had a single day that offered a chance for all people involved in Uhbik to just meet in a room and go through everything. Doing this through Zoom or Slack is not the same. So a few of us are trying to figure this out by themselves, and instead of looking at it from the perspective of the whole thing, we look at it in a fragmented way, topic by topic.

Such that, even with a focus on Uhbik for several developers, today I wouldn't be able to say where we stand. I hope this will be possible in March maybe. Certain tasks that would normally take two or three weeks is now more like two or three months.

(on the plus side, there re also many things that go a lot easier these days... myself I'm a lot more productive in remote work, and my wife and I are even considering to move into a place with an extra room. And the people who always worked remotely are now integrated a lot better than before)

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:10 am We'll probably make it to NAMM, but we have to compromise on features.

Our staff has resumed testing daily before coming to the office during the cold months.

The process of evaluating progress, tasks and visions for a project like Uhbik is not ideal in this situation. We have since Filterscape release not had a single day that offered a chance for all people involved in Uhbik to just meet in a room and go through everything. Doing this through Zoom or Slack is not the same. So a few of us are trying to figure this out by themselves, and instead of looking at it from the perspective of the whole thing, we look at it in a fragmented way, topic by topic.

Such that, even with a focus on Uhbik for several developers, today I wouldn't be able to say where we stand. I hope this will be possible in March maybe. Certain tasks that would normally take two or three weeks is now more like two or three months.

(on the plus side, there re also many things that go a lot easier these days... myself I'm a lot more productive in remote work, and my wife and I are even considering to move into a place with an extra room. And the people who always worked remotely are now integrated a lot better than before)
When it comes to the actual official product updates/releases. Please don't compromise on any of the planned features, if possible.

Most customers will be understanding of such delays, if they take longer, so long as we are aware of the reasons why. And we end up with better products because of the extra development time.

Well, there are realities. One reality is, we're going to NAMM to kick off Zebralette3. It's going to be a deep and feature rich freeware plug-in, no matter if some yet-too-unpolished concepts are left out. It's no biggie if one or two out of 20+ oscillator effects are gonna be moved to some later update.

I also need to break that thing where we show something at a trade show that won't be released for another year or two.

Return to “u-he”