Bring Back 3x Oversampling :)

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is probably a very niche request but it would be great if instead of having 1024x there would again be the option of using 3x. To me all oversampling settings have a "sound". The 2x sounds quite dark and the 4x quite bright. The 3x was the perfect medium, and I've also been using MXXX1 with nothing loaded for other plug-ins that don't have oversampling, especially saturators. Would this be possible?

I think Vojtek posted something about this somewhere. I think it had something to do with coding efficiency and maybe CPU use. Don't quote me, but I think he said that the coding is much simpler when oversampling is in multiples of two....2X, 4X, 8X.

* Or maybe I saw it in the release notes of one of the updates.

Not really I was asked to remove these and do the high ratios instead :D. As you can see, what people want is sometimes very contradictory :o... I'll check, perhaps we could add a few more numbers.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Thanks a lot for considering. Other developers only have multiples of 2(maybe it really is easier to code—at least for them!) and the 3x had a certain sound that I couldn't get any other way.

I thought the reason for removing the odd numbers was that 3x, 5x, 7x, etc don't add upp and introduce artifacts. If that was so it may be just these artifacts that you like the sound of, yet to reintroduce those options should have some kind of clear warning of how it's for creative uses only. Sorry if I got this wrong, feel free to correct anyone who has a deeper inderstanding of this stuff.

All ratios up to 8x (plus the powers of 2 above) will be available in the next update ;)

Gone soft: No, it's not about audio quality, it's just that people asked for ultrahigh ratios and you could hardly have 1024 values in there :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:45 pm All ratios up to 8x (plus the powers of 2 above) will be available in the next update ;)

Gone soft: No, it's not about audio quality, it's just that people asked for ultrahigh ratios and you could hardly have 1024 values in there :D
Ok, my bad for buying into someone elses misunderstanding of the dark art of oversampling. :P Good news for those who missed those options then. :tu:

Many thanks! Look forward to having that particular colour back in my mixes.

Uncovered Pitch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm This is probably a very niche request but it would be great if instead of having 1024x there would again be the option of using 3x. To me all oversampling settings have a "sound".
Do you hear any difference above, say, 64x?

I wonder if above a certain factor there is any difference at all. But I'm no mathematician and I don't have golden ears.

Masi

No way. I'm pretty sure I can't hear any difference between 8x and anything higher than that. But there is a big difference between, 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x hence my humble request.

I think if you take a sine wave and like completely f*** it up with a waveshaper to oblivion :), then you may be able to hear the difference above 64x, but for normal production, doubt it...
Vojtech

I'm using x512 often, for synth, for resampling (thank for that nice resampling quality!), SFX, analog simulation (noise modulation). With melda I can go crazy and it sounds like a dolphin bathing in oil

Have you tried x4 oversampling and then using a low pass filter with Mspectraldynamic?

Faiky wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:39 pm I'm using x512 often, for synth, for resampling (thank for that nice resampling quality!), SFX, analog simulation (noise modulation). With melda I can go crazy and it sounds like a dolphin bathing in oil
:D now I'm not sure if "dolphin bathing in oil" is a good thing, but I'll take it that it should be :D
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:27 am
Faiky wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:39 pm I'm using x512 often, for synth, for resampling (thank for that nice resampling quality!), SFX, analog simulation (noise modulation). With melda I can go crazy and it sounds like a dolphin bathing in oil
:D now I'm not sure if "dolphin bathing in oil" is a good thing, but I'll take it that it should be :D
Ehh , let's say "massage oil" :) !

Return to “MeldaProduction”