KarmaFX Synth Modular 2 released!

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got an email about this new release, so I thought I'd share the news here.

https://karmafx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=956
All registered users should now have been notified and have received their exclusive-upgrade-offer.
If not, please don't hesitate to get in touch through email, forum or facebook.
This discount lasts for a limited-time only, so don't miss out on this opportunity.
i.e. "This offer is valid until October 31st, 2020."

https://karmafx.net/products#specs
What's new in KarmaFX Synth Modular 2
  • New skins have been added that support HiDPI and Retina scaling + 20% larger GUI overall, knob-modulation-meters, drop-shadows, glowing displays, gradient curves, semi-transparent menus and motion-blurred trail markers.
  • A new Patch Browser has been added, which allows for quick browsing of banks as well as patches, and also offers keyboard browsing and search filtering.
  • Modules can now be connected using a simple one-click mouse-action + connections now highlight while hovering in connect mode.
  • New Subpatch modules that allow for nested generator- and effect-patches to exist and work within other patches.
  • A new Granular module has been added for sample-based granular synthesis, with variable grain size and rate.
  • New Effect modules: A Folder module for classic wavefolding through 0Hz Frequency Modulation, a SoftClip module for variable softclipping, a Repeater module for beat-synced repeated delay, a Limiter module for soft-knee peak limiting, and MultiComp: A 3 band multiband soft-knee compressor.
  • New Controller modules and enhancements: A Scope module: a synced oscilloscope, frequency and phase analyzer of up to two separate input/control signals. Phase module for direct control over the phase control signal. Unison now offers Phase Detune and more modes, and Pattern module has been updated with Steptime, Velocity and Min/Max Note range-settings. Notepitch & Pattern modules can now be detuned from Concert Pitch (A=440Hz).
  • New Amplifier modules: An Inverter for audio and modulation inversion + a Mid/Side module for mono/stereo separation.
  • Filters and been reworked in part to be virtual analog. Three new filters have been added: The SVF2, the SKF (Sallen-Key Filter) and the Moog2, plus all Resonant Multimode filters now have Saturation and Drive controls, and all parameter settings are now retained when switching between filters.
  • An Exponential Tuning of Filter-Cutoffs has been added, giving better control over both high and low- filter frequencies. A Resonance tuning option has been added, featuring a flat Digital response and a simulated Analog response that attenuates resonance at low frequencies. The Filters Keyboard Tracking Base Key is now also adjustable.
  • New Modulator modules: A Shaper module for custom waveshaping and a Control module that exposes the internal control signals. LFO now supports optional Random Poly Phase Reset and Keyboard Tracking.
  • All Generators now support Through-Zero frequency, meaning that they accept negative frequencies that generate output in reverse phase. An extra Phase Control Signal has been added to complement the existing Frequency, Trigger, and Note Control Signals. The FM module has been reworked to support Linear FM and Exponential FM, both with Through-Zero support, as well as Phase Modulation. The module now also features and Exponential Sync option, so Exponential FM is kept in-tune.
  • Control Signals can now be 16x oversampled in a new High Quality (HQ) mode, forcing generators to run oversampled internally. Essential for high quality FM/PM.
  • An Expression option has been added to knobs that typically need performance tuning. Optionally responds to Mod.Wheel, Aftertouch and Velocity inputs.
  • The right click menu now offers an Auto Arrange option that neatly re-orders modules, and a Remove Unused option that deletes disabled or disconnected modules from the patch. A Swap menu option now also quickly swaps modules backwards and forwards in the signal chain. Finally, Insert offers a quick menu-based way to wire a specific module in front of another module.
  • Many parameters now have extra Range Menu Options added to their right click menu, allowing more fine-grained control over, e.g., Attack, Decay, and Release time-ranges in all envelopes, all Portamento time ranges, Modulation Index ranges, Delay Finetune ranges, LFO rates, Chorus Depth ranges, etc.
  • Control Panel automation controls Min- and Max-values can now be macro programmed, to limit parameter values to user-defined ranges.
  • A new set of patch banks have been added. New patch banks can now also be downloaded and installed instantly from within the synth using the Bank Install menu. Patch banks can now be loaded in read-only mode, while compressed on disk.
  • All panning operations are now constant powered, -3dB.
  • VST 2.4+ support on PC/Windows + Audio Unit and VST 2.4+ (64 bit only) support on Mac/OSX!
  • Version 2 is backwards compatible with version 1.x, meaning that all existing patches and patch-banks will load in version 2.
  • These additions are just the most prominent features. Please refer to the 120+ page manual or the full version 2 changelog below for more technical details.

Why on earth is absolutely nothing to find on the net about this cool synth-sytem?

hey. thanks :)

For anyone interested: Synth Modular 2 is currently $39.99 at Audio Plugin Deals. Sale ends in 13 days.
https://audioplugin.deals/synth-modular-2-by-karmafx/

nichttuntun wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:27 pm Why on earth is absolutely nothing to find on the net about this cool synth-sytem?
a lot of the best tools are like that...the first one I always thought was great and mad underrated...the second version even better...one of the most accessible and immediate modulars out there...one of the most sophisticated FM implementations around...and you can FM the VA, the additive, sampler, and granular...also can be used as an FX box as used to be standard with modulars increasing value, but is relatively rare today....only downside is you cant FM the audio in

I noticed a long time ago, the market isn't driven by the functionality spreadsheet checkbox tickers on one extreme, or the I just trust my ears folks on the other extreme;...but by the hive-mind and hype machine of plugin collectors
Last edited by bermudagold on Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

double

plus there are other reasons:
- in synth loving folks, modular fans are just a smaller group.
- too much product exists, you buy serum or avenger or phase plant or some other relatively new stuff etc... and you don't really need any other stuff
- several high quality plugin bundle exist: NI, Arturia, Korg ... again: you buy one bundle, and you are covered - you don't need anything more
- there are products that are famous for their soundset, like sylenth, omnisphere, nexus, u-he synths, Rob Papen synths. when you buy modular environments, these don't have such sounds, they don't have dedicated sound designers like Eric Persing, Rob Papen, Howard Scarr. modulars are for experimenting, not for playing them as conventional synths.
- since many of us have NI Reaktor, ( that is almost a modular now), we think twice before buying another modular. And the community around Reaktor is quite big. Also VCV has a "community".

This is a no brainer bargain. Version 2 improved a quite a few things and sounds better than the 1st version, for a modular its also very easy to use, strikes a great balance of ease of use and versatility. It definitely seems to go under the radar. I own Reaktor with ToyBox Nano Pack 3 Pack, Cherry Audio Voltage Modular, Vaz Modular & Tassman 4 & I still find KarmaFX Modular worth having in this collection.

+1. If I didn't already have this, I would buy it :).

bharris22 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:00 pm +1. If I didn't already have this, I would buy it :).
ahahah, same! 8)

I find it weird that on a modular synth, the demos are all pure vanilla EDM type sounds that could be done with nearly any decent VSTi. I mean, I get that they’re going for the trance crowd, but I would think they’d branch out a bit.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

No-brainer for mine. One of the best things about KarmaFX modular is that you can change out the various modules in-place without having to go to a selection menu and back again. It's just a drop down list to flick between the many modules of the same category.

Even better, the routings are retained when doing this, so if you change a phaser to a flanger and back again, any mods (LFO etc.) you had on the phaser are retained :tu:

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:35 pm I find it weird that on a modular synth, the demos are all pure vanilla EDM type sounds that could be done with nearly any decent VSTi. I mean, I get that they’re going for the trance crowd, but I would think they’d branch out a bit.
Yeah. The presets are super limited. There seems to be an inordinate amount of bass patches and many of them are really quite average.

Nothing really shows off the synth's capabilities.

kraster wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:10 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:35 pm I find it weird that on a modular synth, the demos are all pure vanilla EDM type sounds that could be done with nearly any decent VSTi. I mean, I get that they’re going for the trance crowd, but I would think they’d branch out a bit.
Yeah. The presets are super limited. There seems to be an inordinate amount of bass patches and many of them are really quite average.

Nothing really shows off the synth's capabilities.
yeah the audio examples and reviews on the site are mostly from v1 10 yrs ago...and the V2 presets don't really showcase the sampler and granular modules...apparently it's main user base is in goa trance...i dont even know what that is lol...gotta demo urself and trust ur own instincts and ears...the quality and functionality is there...40$ for a workstation instrument and a multi effect to use on your other instruments is a great value!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”