xoxos ideal

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ideal-by-xoxos

had to do it. took a weekend and eighteen years. the story you already know.

there are a few things to be said.

in all the years of all the time, for most of humanity the most tangible resource for drum synthesis has been the java source document for a physics applet at falstad.org, which, as far as i understand, uses some calculation for atomic orbits and bessel functions to derive the ratio and magnitude of modal vibrations. i think its been there since the mid 00s.

one can imagine the various agonies of the uneducated author intending to make use of it. this ambition has taken eighteen years for fruition, is more akin to car heist or safe cracking than academic pursuit. my experience with acoustic modeling synthesis was informative, and i thought that experience could have been provided for the public with some substantial benefit. others had similar considerations yes.

as much as i enjoy certain forms of very expression, the audience at kvr are too sophisticated to stand for that sort of thing. universe, a phase vocoder based synthesizer, could have been released in 2002, except for the 0df filters which didn't exist then. same tech here, specific set of partials. this vst could have existed in 2002. it took me a weekend to concoct.

eighteen years can do a lot to a person and their ambitions. especially with YOU no j/k. revisiting the development mileu with its triumphs and pitfalls now worn smooth. i couldn't care less. i'm pissing myself and reaching for the ben gay. i'm shaking and asking for my medication. i'm finished and instantly power the (very venerable) machine off as ambitions to make music or hear synthetic sound aren't what they were when i was young and how it was back then before all of that incredible crap i went though from there to now. you don't care either, its eighteen years ago. but that's my job. someone has to say, this easy and obvious crap should have been there eighteen years ago. you should help the people. it will make the world more good and less bad.

could have added a bunch of stuff i know, rim, beater, snare, et c. now that we're in teh spectral domain it's all facile. i have to do laundry today as well. and i wish this was in order. how did my weekly world news get all wet again.

the falstad source .. is quite mysterious and has a number of moving parts. there are a few variables pertinent to 32x32 matrices but are these partials or his freaky ass fourier transform for the impulse or ??? but expanding some of these pairs to say 128x128 produced bad things, like groups of 16 partials all teh same, so close door, leave alone. wresting what i could of it i was able to extend to 48*128, however the highest parts might be wrong after 96 or something.. but it works well enough.

i had some freaky experiences with it... extend, see fourier mirroring, which is of course incorrect but i had teh most amazing deja vu, like ten years ago i was looking at a spectrum of someone's sample derived from this source, with this error. amazing. but yes, there is no peak high in the series of partials folks, bessel just go smooth, extending for a long long way with lots of dense freqs. at least, "i tink so" making teh best sense of what can be abducted from adacemia.

in teh falstad source, modes are enumerated m, n. m=0 is the polar modes. the 2d circular membrane yields pairs of modes with the same frequency.. as said, m=0 is teh polar modes, but m=1 and m=2 have the same bessel ratio/frequency, as does 3 and 4, and 5 and 6 et c.

which is apparently part of real life, i was reading about tensioning heads and how uneven tension makes these pairs drift apart.

teh falstad source also uses cartesian coordinates. my single axis "position" is aligned along the -x axis. this produces magnitude 1 for the first of the pairs, and magnitude 0 for the second of the pairs. so in this implementation, all strikes are aligned on teh node which only populates teh first of these pairs, which would be populated if a duplexed coordinate was used. this discrepancy reduces a few partials to compute and inhibits the ability to easily add a "badly tuned head" option. it also explains why the "partials" param selects 1,2,4,6,8,10,12 et c. because the odd values are silent.

leave teh fft window length at 2048. shorter produces better pitch modulation for 2x high cpu.

overlaps is quality. 2 overlaps very bad quality, who is going to notice. higher will make excellent quality.

the # of partials doesn't make much of a difference until you get to short windows/high overlaps, but its fun to mess with and observe teh signal.

two lfos because then i didn't have to do teh arduous part of the architecture restructuring.

anyway, i made this then i wrote all this about it. i can't imagine that i have any more unfulfilled vst ambitions/duties, and people do their best to make people feel uncomfortable about writing their life on kvr as they well ought to. more could have been done (i have months of stuff on drums like nifty cylindrical shell mode calcs which are fast/linear on a hard drive i have no case for atm) but who is looking for 32 bit vst 2.4 is no one today when they can go and pay much money to make them die a lot inside.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Thx . I tested " Ideal and Universe " , but my old CPU is tired ! I would like test " Cazimi " but il's "not found" :( . I discover " Orbiter " one of your elders VSTi ! maybe Can I hope new version with more presets per bank :) . Note : I really liked your old G.U.I like " Expo , regula , Pling 1 " . Cordially .
One passionate User :D

Hi Xoxos where can we get your older vst plugins?

hi jeff51 and surreal,
i'm sure by this point i'm only saying what's obvious to any considerate being,

the process of maintaining such resources certainly eludes me, and the causes aren't things one extends to the public for "debate". i'm glad i did what i did and said what i said when it was possible to do so. it was lovely being part of that blossom of culture and potential.

i'm sure the critical portion of such activity has passed, its nice that this page is still here in the meanwhile.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “xoxos”