IKs MixBox

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:05 pm Just my opinion of course. I'm clearly in the minority and that's fine with me.
I doubt you are in a minority on this and it doesn't matter anyway - it's your opinion. There are no truths with respect to this - everyone will have an opinion or expectation. Thus the challenge of the business to try and meet as many expectations as possible.

I would be surprised if IK doesn't have costs associated with the MixBox Sunset reverb product. Maybe they $10 upgrade is, to them, a token jesture to try and find more common ground? Don't worry about it (I am sure you aren't) - just gravitate to the companies and products that work for you. There are so many products out there now it's not difficut to avoid those that don't match your needs and expectations.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:22 pm My only beef is IK trying to nickle and dime customers who already own the full versions of these products.
I'm in the same boat. I downloaded MixBox CS and it appears that the fuzzy GUI issue has been fixed at least on the few plugins that are included with the CS version.

I own almost every TRacks plugin except a couple I still want and several I have no interest in so now the question is do I pay around $70 after jam points to upgrade to the full Mixbox just to get mostly the same plugins I already own?

Anyone who owns a version of TRacks has the Suite plugin which allows us to load multiple plugins similar to MixBox but using their original GUIs (which in my opinion are superior).

So the question to me really isn't how much work IK put into the plugin it's what value do I get for paying the upgrade price?

I might be a buyer at somewhere under $50 but $70 is probably more than I would pay at this point. A system that would take into consideration the plugins we already own then reduce the price of the upgrade based on that seems fair but unlikely to happen.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The fix for Sunset is in. Just re-register it in the Product Manager.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:53 pm Wish some of that money and time went into support. I sent a ticket in last week, and still haven't even received confirmation. Doesn't impress me favourably.
It's ironic really, they direct everything to their tech support only to have support tickets enter the black hole never to be seen again.

It's fixed. I wasn't sweating. €8.32 or whatever it was. The modules are all there. And I got Mixbox free last September anyway. :shrug:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Big thanks to IK for giving iOS users the Sunset Reverbs IAP in MixBox iOS for free once they have purchased the $10 desktop crossgrade.

Credit where it’s due! :clap:

GusGranite wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:36 pm Big thanks to IK for giving iOS users the Sunset Reverbs IAP in MixBox iOS for free once they have purchased the $10 desktop crossgrade.

Which crossgrade is this? I have the desktop version of MixBox, Sunset Sound and the Sunset Sound MixBox add on. Does this mean I’m eligible to get MixBox iOS for $10 somehow?

dickiefunk wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:36 pm
GusGranite wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:36 pm Big thanks to IK for giving iOS users the Sunset Reverbs IAP in MixBox iOS for free once they have purchased the $10 desktop crossgrade.

Which crossgrade is this? I have the desktop version of MixBox, Sunset Sound and the Sunset Sound MixBox add on. Does this mean I’m eligible to get MixBox iOS for $10 somehow?
No, it means that if you own MixBox for iOS as well then you get the Sunset Reverbs IAP added for free. Otherwise $25 or something.

Ah ok.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:00 pm The fix for Sunset is in.
I read that to mean something completely different. But still accurate.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Sunset sleeps widda fishies!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:39 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:22 pm My only beef is IK trying to nickle and dime customers who already own the full versions of these products.
I'm in the same boat. I downloaded MixBox CS and it appears that the fuzzy GUI issue has been fixed at least on the few plugins that are included with the CS version.

I own almost every TRacks plugin except a couple I still want and several I have no interest in so now the question is do I pay around $70 after jam points to upgrade to the full Mixbox just to get mostly the same plugins I already own?

Anyone who owns a version of TRacks has the Suite plugin which allows us to load multiple plugins similar to MixBox but using their original GUIs (which in my opinion are superior).

So the question to me really isn't how much work IK put into the plugin it's what value do I get for paying the upgrade price?

I might be a buyer at somewhere under $50 but $70 is probably more than I would pay at this point. A system that would take into consideration the plugins we already own then reduce the price of the upgrade based on that seems fair but unlikely to happen.... :shrug:
Yeah, well I'm not upgrading myself.

But to give that statement more context, a little while back I decided to invest in their Total Studio Max, ultimately to reduce the cost of upgrades like this.

So the reason why I'm not upgrading now is with the expectation that sometime in the near future there will be another Total Studio upgrade where I will get fill in the missing blanks, usually for a better price, providing I haven't bought too much of their new things.

The downside is you are usually getting stuff a while after their release, so they aren't ultra new any more, Komplete is like this too. But that's not always an important thing and I think its a fair trade-off.

It's not always a good thing to get IK plugins when they're new. Let the public beta testing find the bugs first. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

plexuss wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:14 pm I would be surprised if IK doesn't have costs associated with the MixBox Sunset reverb product. Maybe they $10 upgrade is, to them, a token jesture to try and find more common ground?
Or it could be that Sunset Sound gets paid royalties for each license that is distributed, and giving away the second license for free would come at a loss for IK?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:17 pm
plexuss wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:14 pm I would be surprised if IK doesn't have costs associated with the MixBox Sunset reverb product. Maybe they $10 upgrade is, to them, a token jesture to try and find more common ground?
Or it could be that Sunset Sound gets paid royalties for each license that is distributed, and giving away the second license for free would come at a loss for IK?
I'm sure that's closer to the truth.

There's all sorts of stories from other developers. Waves in particular was restricted by SSL in how much they can charge and how the plugins can be bundled. Or something to that effect.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the studios involved in the IK plugins were getting a fair cut from plugin sales but also had their own limitations stipulated in the deal. Possibly.

Return to “Effects”