IKs MixBox

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I bought Mixbox last year during one of the IK promos and I’m trying get the upgrade price for the Sunset Reverb collection. It says Im not eligible for the upgrade even though I have a legit license for the thing. I updated Mixbox and still it’s not available to me. I already tech support we all know that Ik’s tech support is lind of slow with responding.

Any one else have this issue or overcame it?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 am So, I bought Mixbox last year during one of the IK promos and I’m trying get the upgrade price for the Sunset Reverb collection. It says Im not eligible for the upgrade even though I have a legit license for the thing. I updated Mixbox and still it’s not available to me. I already tech support we all know that Ik’s tech support is lind of slow with responding.

In my case I have both MixBox and the TRacks Sunset Reverbs. I logged into my IK account on the web and checked upgrade/crossgrades in the account nav. There was the offer to buy Sunset for MixBox for $9.99 and I used $3 bucks to get it for $6.99.

plexuss wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:50 am In my case I have both MixBox and the TRacks Sunset Reverbs. I logged into my IK account on the web and checked upgrade/crossgrades in the account nav. There was the offer to buy Sunset for MixBox for $9.99 and I used $3 bucks to get it for $6.99.
Even at $7 I just can't help but think, why the hell would I pay them for a plugin I already have, in a worse format? I frankly think it's outrageous they're trying to sell Mixbox modules to owners of the same T-Racks plugins, but at the same time, it's totally expected from IK.

Softube has got it right: when they release a standalone product that makes sense in Modular, they add those modules to Softube Modular for free. When they release a standalone plugin that makes sense in Amp Room, they release those Amp Room versions for free. It actually encourages customers to buy the products because you're getting multiple versions at one price - so they're great value-adds. IK does the exact opposite. They'll try to sell you the same gear 3 or 4 different ways - then give it away later on during a 50 for the price of 1 style group buy where you already own 46 of the pllugins on offer. :lol:

I dunno, I'd rather just use the big boy Sunset Sound. I don't begrudge anyone for buying it for $7 bucks, I just wish IK thought more of their customers and didn't try to sell us the same product over and over again.

Plus there is no Custom Shop for MixBox CS, despite it literally being MixBox Custom Shop. Have they forgotten about the actual Custom Shop application they made everyone install, or have they just abandoned it as a failure?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Saukar30 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 am So, I bought Mixbox last year during one of the IK promos and I’m trying get the upgrade price for the Sunset Reverb collection. It says Im not eligible for the upgrade even though I have a legit license for the thing. I updated Mixbox and still it’s not available to me. I already tech support we all know that Ik’s tech support is lind of slow with responding.

Do you own Sunset Sound Studio Reverb for T-RackS?
That's who gets the discount. Because they paid for it once already.

I got Mixbox “for free” in the group buy, but I never ended up using it. In comparison to T-Racks, the GUI and the graphics are really bad (unsharp, fake 3D, fake aging and dirt…) and oberall usability is lacking (audio dropout when using the DAW bypass button, value popups that get in the way of the other knobs and have to be “closed” explicitly).
And it seems like withthe sunset reverb, you get five different modules, so if you want to switch between the reverb types, you have to load another module, which means some menu diving…
(Maybe they fixed some of those issues with 1.5? That would be a reason to install the update)

Even if I could get the SSSR for a couple of bucks, where is the incentive for me? Usability with the T-Racks version seems much better to me…

jamcat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 am

Do you own Sunset Sound Studio Reverb for T-RackS?
That's who gets the discount. Because they paid for it once already.
I got that too. IK just sent an email regarding this and it was a problem on their end. So all is good.

plexuss wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:50 am

In my case I have both MixBox and the TRacks Sunset Reverbs. I logged into my IK account on the web and checked upgrade/crossgrades in the account nav. There was the offer to buy Sunset for MixBox for $9.99 and I used $3 bucks to get it for $6.99.
Thx, That was my case as well. I have both. It was a problem on IK's end and they sorted it out.

Personally, I'm weening off the IK stuff.I have been purchasing from them for almost 2 decades. It always seems like everything is a cash grab (ironic that my posts are about buying something from them lol). Compared to other developers, the products they've been putting out have been subpar, with the exception of MODO Bass, in my opinion. Blurry graphics, lots of issues that don't get addressed until after the products have launched, etc. At this point, I'm just content about what I have. Personally, I just want to make music, not be a beta tester.

With Mixbox, I personally like the smaller lunchbox format. I have most of the T-Racks modules but sometimes I just don't want to work with multiple plugins on a track. Having that flexibility is nice, because IK kills it on effects. Should something like the Sunset Sound reverbs be free for Mixbox? Probably, but I actually use this more than the T-Racks setup. It doesn't take up too much screen real estate and it's just easier to work with. Bear in mind, I also use Waves plugins and I also use the Studiorack a lot as well.

Saukar30 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:39 am Personally, I'm weening off the IK stuff.I have been purchasing from them for almost 2 decades. It always seems like everything is a cash grab (ironic that my posts are about buying something from them lol). Compared to other developers, the products they've been putting out have been subpar, with the exception of MODO Bass
I’ve been replacing T-RackS stuff, mostly with Brainworx, because of lack of native M1 support.

I don’t think IK stuff is subpar, though. I use AmpliTube and MODO DRUM on every song. Both of those are indispensable. I could never go back to canned drums again.

I use both T-Racks and Mixbox. I use both all the time. Mixbox is a different tool than T-Racks. Mixbox is really handy and easy to use. To each their own. But it's worth trying out the presets first to see how other engineers use it.
all the best

niterateaudio wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:31 pm I use both T-Racks and Mixbox. I use both all the time. Mixbox is a different tool than T-Racks. Mixbox is really handy and easy to use. To each their own. But it's worth trying out the presets first to see how other engineers use it.
Hey, some people really like the workflow of a 500-series style plugin like this with a single preset covering multiple modules. If you're just starting out, I can definitely see the appeal in that. My only beef is IK trying to nickle and dime customers who already own the full versions of these products. And it's not new from them. They did the same thing with the IK Leslie Collection, selling a T-Racks plugin, then a separate Amplitube plugin. Again, in the Softube model, the Amp Room version would've been free. That's a much more customer-focused way to handle this type of thing. When I buy an iPhone app, I don't have to pay again for the iPad version. IK have one of the most annoying sales models in the business, and that's saying a lot (others in contention include Plugin Alliance, Waves with WUP, Izotope)!

Its not "nickle and diming" - it takes time and salaries to make this stuff. Totally new UI (with possibly some asset reuse), code to hook into MixBox, testing, refinement and marketing let alone executive bonuses. $7-10 is more than fair IMHO.

Wish some of that money and time went into support. I sent a ticket in last week, and still haven't even received confirmation. Doesn't impress me favourably.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

plexuss wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:35 pm Its not "nickle and diming" - it takes time and salaries to make this stuff. Totally new UI (with possibly some asset reuse), code to hook into MixBox, testing, refinement and marketing let alone executive bonuses. $7-10 is more than fair IMHO.
Right, but I'd much prefer a model of "hey, here's a reasonably priced plugin, we're not going to do crazy 50 for the price of 1 sales, we're going to offer upgrades with a good discount when a new version comes out (versus the 'everyone gets the same crappy crossgrade price'), we're not going to charge you multiple times for the same products, we're not going to have such confusing terms that any time a new product comes Peter needs to spend days on the forums explaining all the ins and outs of the promotion, you can use JamPoints to buy IK Bucks, etc."

It's annoying and comes across as scammy. I'd rather have a much more traditional and transparent sales model from them. But their business model seems to be all about bringing in new customers and it clearly works for them. Frankly, I think they'd be taken a lot more seriously if they took more of a Softube approach. But other people like the 56 for the price of 1 Group Buys (like seriously, how many T-Racks modules even f*cking exist that a 56 for the price of 1 Group Buy is necessary - who doesn't already own most of them?). They'll give you 56 T-Racks plugins for the price of 1, then charge $7 to get one of those plugins into Mixbox. That's insane to me. And the new Joe Chicarelli strip is just $10 more than the next highest priced modules, so that you figure "hey, let me spend the extra $10 in the Group Buy because that gets me everything and I don't want to miss out on just 1 module". It's playing into FOMO.

Just my opinion of course. I'm clearly in the minority and that's fine with me.

Return to “Effects”