Erae Touch - All-around MIDI 2.0 controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:48 am
BONES wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:50 pm It seems Embodme have a new product line to show off at CES -

https://www.embodme.com/superiris

Non-touch MPE controller, anybody?
Looks like bad news. No target at musicians and very expensive. Triggers the experience with Sensel. They delivered their technology to the medical market which seemed to be more attractive financially. The investors might want to push them away from us...
Yes, I was sad when Sensel went, I liked my Morph (actually replaced it with the AERE). That said, morph was more than just music anyway, had video editing overlay, gaming even QUERTY etc…they always seemed to have more demand than product so who knows why they dropped it.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Oh well, worst comes to worst I end up losing less than $1k if it breaks and I can't replace it.

It would be a shame if they went downhill but hey, all this mass produced gear gives them not so much room to move.

I don't know why some mass producer can't come up with flexible MIDI poly-AT and MPE?

It's not that hard is it? Or will we just see cheap generic stuff that doesn't allow the musician to express themselves properly?
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

What's cheap about Erae Touch? Mine is really well made and feels anything but cheap.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hi guys, I just received my Erae Touch, and have a couple of questions for users.
Is there a place to register the hardware, and receive the free Audio Damage Synth that's supposed to come with it?

Also, it's not as sensitive as expected, even when changing the sensitivity to -20 in the control app, is there another way, like on the unit itself?

It didn't come with a manual, and the online one is pants.

I haven't touched mine in 6 months - been working on an album and the Erae is too much of a distraction when Iam trying to work - so I can't really answer your questions, sorry. That said, I don't think they were offering anything from Audio Damage when I got mine and the only way I can remember to adjust the sensitivity is via the Lab app.

I tell ya what, though, I'm a little annoyed that neither Erae nor Roli were in the list of brands of MIDI controllers in the survey.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Try sending an email to: omar@embodme.com

He may be able to help you out. The code I got covered most of Continua (AD product). It may have cost me around $5, due to some timing issue.

simmo75 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:02 pm Hi guys, I just received my Erae Touch, and have a couple of questions for users.
Is there a place to register the hardware, and receive the free Audio Damage Synth that's supposed to come with it?

Also, it's not as sensitive as expected, even when changing the sensitivity to -20 in the control app, is there another way, like on the unit itself?

It didn't come with a manual, and the online one is pants.

How cool would it be to have 11 Erae Touches!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZot3ykgll0

Good Lord, what about just learning to play the piano? And then you can trigger whatever you want from your actual keyboard controller. If you really prefer programming drum parts from a pad controller, there are plenty of these at various price points.

All of these silly controllers like Ableton Push are just a hack for people who are too lazy to learn how to play keyboards. Just the act of playing different pieces of music while you practice the piano will give you invaluable insights into how to construct a memorable melody and how to create an interesting harmonic structure for your song, cue, etc.

Even if you never go beyond Bach Two-Part inventions in your music studies, that should provide you with a strong foundation in counterpoint to write more intricate songs.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Who would want to learn piano? I can't think of anything more boring or pointless. You obviously have no understanding of stagecraft or performance. Elton John sits at a piano onstage and who the f**k wants to be like Elton John!?!

Four would be sufficient.

Thinking about it, having that many actually dilutes the impact of them, I think. I'd love to be able to get up on stage with one Erae Touch each for my bandmate and me and no other visible equipment. It would look super-cool, I think, but it's not really our schtick. Maybe for a TV appearance?

I have so many smaller midi controllers like Roli Block, Launchpad X, Nektar Panorama P1, Touche and 0-Ctrl. And in terms of keyboard controllers, I have K-Board Pro 4 and Roli Seaboard RISE (1st Gen.). I've wanted a Linnstrument.

I have this idea if I got an Erae Touch, I could consolidate most of my controllers into one device and that would be amazing. Is that wishful thinking? Seems like I could set up any control I already have and switch screens to provide the same functionality and would be easier for live performance. (I love my Seaboard RISE so would never get rid of it. It is a very special whole instrument in it's own rite.)

killmaster wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:45 am I have so many smaller midi controllers like Roli Block, Launchpad X, Nektar Panorama P1, Touche and 0-Ctrl. And in terms of keyboard controllers, I have K-Board Pro 4 and Roli Seaboard RISE (1st Gen.). I've wanted a Linnstrument.

I have this idea if I got an Erae Touch, I could consolidate most of my controllers into one device and that would be amazing. Is that wishful thinking? Seems like I could set up any control I already have and switch screens to provide the same functionality and would be easier for live performance. (I love my Seaboard RISE so would never get rid of it. It is a very special whole instrument in it's own rite.)
I have read many Erae Touch threads of users experiencing issues with them. Here is a recent example thread on Poly Expression, and another recent post.

I have the LinnStrument 200, and it is the only MIDI controller I own. I acquired it a few years ago during the pandemic to replace the piano/keyboard. It compares favourably in terms of fine musical expression compared to other MPE hardware controllers, but it has a learning curve unless you come from a guitar background.

All the teething problems I had with my Erae Touch were resolved with the first update and we've had another one since then to address other issues. Mine is great and there is no other MPE controller that comes close to it, because it can be whatever I want it to be, I'm not stuck with anyone else's idea of what it should be.

Reading those posts, they don't even make sense. They are talking about it being a bad playing surface, yet really useful as a MIDI controller, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Well if you want more issues from other users, there is no better place than the embodme Forums. It looks abandoned and neglected.

In contrast, Roger Linn is very responsive and is far more accessible for questions and support. He can be reached on his contact page, and more broadly on the Roger Linn Design forum here at KVR Audio. You can also see most of my forum activity there.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”