Erae Touch - All-around MIDI 2.0 controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:06 pm Well if you want more issues from other users, there is no better place than the embodme Forums. It looks abandoned and neglected.

In contrast, Roger Linn is very responsive and is far more accessible for questions and support. He can be reached on his contact page, and more broadly on the Roger Linn Design forum here at KVR Audio. You can also see most of my forum activity there.
Aren’t you the guy who is constantly modifying your Linnstrument to make it better?

Erae Touch made me sell my Linnstrument, i way prefer the feel, and it’s way more flexible.

Have you played one?

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:25 pm Aren’t you the guy who is constantly modifying your Linnstrument to make it better?
There are other LinnStrumentalists that modify their LinnStruments as well, so I am not sure if you are referring to them or me. Recently though, I have been intensely modifying my LinnStrument, although I have kept a very low profile for the last month or so about it. Roger knows all about my project though, since he has been personally helping me with it.
simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:25 pm Erae Touch made me sell my Linnstrument, i way prefer the feel, and it’s way more flexible.

Have you played one?
No I have not. Over here in Canada, and specifically British Columbia, MPE hardware controllers are no longer available to demo at local music retailers.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:32 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:25 pm Aren’t you the guy who is constantly modifying your Linnstrument to make it better?
There are other LinnStrumentalists that modify their LinnStruments as well, so I am not sure if you are referring to them or me. Recently though, I have been intensely modifying my LinnStrument, although I have kept a very low profile for the last month or so about it. Roger knows all about my project though, since he has been personally helping me with it.
Do you realize how ridiculous this post reads, lol 😂.
I think the fact that you’re constantly trying to make something better, rather than play, speaks volumes.

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:36 pm
I think the fact that you’re constantly trying to make something better, rather than play, speaks volumes.
I do both, not one or the other exclusively. There are inherent issues with the silicone playing surface's grid layout that causes my fingers to get stuck while sliding chords diagonally. With my hardware modifications, I no longer experience that.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:41 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:36 pm
I do both, not one or the other exclusively. There are inherent issues with the silicone playing surface's grid layout that causes my fingers to get stuck while sliding chords diagonally. With my hardware modifications, I no longer experience that.
Yep, the playing surface sucks, that’s for sure.

Save yourself the time, get an MPE controller that feels good in the first place, it sounds like you’re trying to make the Linnstrument into an Erae Touch, lol 😂

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:43 pm Save yourself the time, get an MPE controller that feels good in the first place, it sounds like you’re trying to make the Linnstrument into an Erae Touch, lol 😂
I already have committed to this, and I have no time nor interest to deliberate on another one. My LinnStrument hardware modifications feels great now, but I am waiting on some pan head screws for the finishing touch. My objective is to develop proficiency with the new playing surface without visual or tactile feedback. The playing lights and the silicone playing surface's grid layout were hampering my potential, and I went through a long-winded journey to get to this point. No other MPE hardware controller fulfills my criteria, and especially not the ERAE Touch.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:55 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:43 pm Save yourself the time, get an MPE controller that feels good in the first place, it sounds like you’re trying to make the Linnstrument into an Erae Touch, lol 😂
I already have committed to this, and I have no time nor interest to deliberate on another one. My LinnStrument hardware modifications feels great now, but I am waiting on some pan head screws for the finishing touch. My objective is to develop proficiency with the new playing surface without visual or tactile feedback. The playing lights and the silicone playing surface's grid layout were hampering my potential, and I went through a long-winded journey to get to this point. No other MPE hardware controller fulfills my criteria, and especially not the ERAE Touch.
Which you’ve never tried… So how would you know? Mod on! Lol!

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:03 pm
That is easy to answer. Everything I use requires the capability to be used with Linux without using proprietary software and/or drivers. I have to be especially thorough with my research when it comes to music equipment.

An important criteria I use is longevity. What does the manufacturer do to ensure that their products receive updates after launch for years to come? With the LinnStrument, there are user-serviceable/replaceable parts, schematics by request, and the firmware is open-source. I do not want to be left as an orphan like the Sensel Morph users. I need to be financially responsible and avoid placing myself in a position where all I have left is discontinued/obsolete electronic waste.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:11 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:03 pm
That is easy to answer. Everything I use requires the capability to be used with Linux without using proprietary software and/or drivers. I have to be especially thorough with my research when it comes to music equipment.

An important criteria I use is longevity. What does the manufacturer do to ensure that their products receive updates after launch for years to come? With the LinnStrument, there are user-serviceable/replaceable parts, schematics by request, and the firmware is open-source. I do not want to be left as an orphan like the Sensel Morph users. I need to be financially responsible and avoid placing myself in a position where all I have left is discontinued/obsolete electronic waste.
You really need to do more homework before chatting so much spew. Honestly…..

You don’t like it, we get it, mod on!

You’re either telling complete lies, or are completely misinformed about the touch.
Your posts are pointless in this thread, all you’re doing is trying to tell people that the Linnstrument is better, by spreading false info.
Proper Trumpian vibes from you mate.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:06 pm Well if you want more issues from other users, there is no better place than the embodme Forums. It looks abandoned and neglected.
What sort of sad loser would hang around a product specific forum like that anyway? I'm glad Embodme don't waste their time there. As a customer, I hear from them several times a year, which is more than enough for me, thanks. When I had a problem, they fixed it in a week or so and I've had no problems since. That link I posted the other day was from an email newsletter from Embodme.
In contrast, Roger Linn is very responsive and is far more accessible for questions and support.
Who cares when you can't try his product at any shop, anywhere in the entire continent I live on? His business model is so deeply flawed he's almost wasting his time bothering at all. To be fair, Embodme doesn't have a retail presence, either, but I was far more confident it would suit my needs, and I really wanted to support what they were doing, whereas I see nothing at all that makes me want to even try a Linnstrument.
FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:41 pmThere are inherent issues with the silicone playing surface's grid layout that causes my fingers to get stuck while sliding chords diagonally. With my hardware modifications, I no longer experience that.
With my Erae Touch, there are no such issues in the first place. So maybe your perspective is skewed by your need to fix your device to make it usable? We have no such issues here.
FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:11 pmEverything I use requires the capability to be used with Linux without using proprietary software and/or drivers. I have to be especially thorough with my research when it comes to music equipment.
Why? This is an excellent example of the stupidity of choosing your OS first - it makes for some massive headaches down the line. I don't choose products that work with my OS, I choose the OS that works with the products I want to use.
An important criteria I use is longevity. What does the manufacturer do to ensure that their products receive updates after launch for years to come?
Who cares? If it's working now, it will continue to work for as long as I ne3ed it to, unless I break it. I don't care if Embodme never update it again.

OTOH, Roger Lin is not a young man, what happens if he drops off the perch tomorrow?
... avoid placing myself in a position where all I have left is discontinued/obsolete electronic waste.
That's what I said about my TB 303s in 1986. If only I hadn't got rid of them, I could have multiple Erae Touches now.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:53 am
In contrast, Roger Linn is very responsive and is far more accessible for questions and support.
Who cares when you can't try his product at any shop, anywhere in the entire continent I live on? His business model is so deeply flawed he's almost wasting his time bothering at all. To be fair, Embodme doesn't have a retail presence, either, but I was far more confident it would suit my needs
This is just an FYI. Roger Linn has many times gone out of his way to arrange for people interested in a Linnstrument to get a demo from a willing owner who lived nearby. He stopped doing it when Covid shut everything down. Roger's service is great.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:53 am OTOH, Roger Lin is not a young man, what happens if he drops off the perch tomorrow?
The firmware for the Linnstrument is open source.
The Linnstrument does not need any computer software so nothing there to get out of date.
The parts of the physical instrument can be purchased and replaced by the user.
Roger also stated that if he ever makes a Linnstrument 2, current owners would be able to upgrade.

The Linnstrument may not be of interest/use to you, but it is one of the most secure purchases to make as far as not becoming obsolete.

Linnstruments are built like tanks, the 'Moog' of MPE controllers with a nice bit of wood! They also hold their value, you rarely see one second hand so people obviously like them! Roger Linn is a class act, unfortunately I dint think we will see too many like him in the future...everything will be owned by InMusic and Behringer!

My Area touch is now listed on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325689913624) as I decided there is just too much over lap with the PUSH 3 (and having an OSMOSE). I would have kept it just for percussion but I also have a Roland V Drum kit so it just wasn't getting used.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:35 am Who would want to learn piano? I can't think of anything more boring or pointless. You obviously have no understanding of stagecraft or performance. Elton John sits at a piano onstage and who the f**k wants to be like Elton John!?!
Hey genius, you don't learn to play the piano to become a better performer. You do it to become a better musician. Your laziness with regards to actually learning to play an instrument contributes to the flood of shit masquerading as contemporary music. You are everything that is wrong with modern music. Just an obnoxious troll who couldn't play "chopsticks" if your life depended on it.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

It’s almost like June 2023 isn’t your KVR join date.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”