Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:27 am
jamcat wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:07 am I find Studio One's scratchpad+arranger track+sync mode to be a really good way to work out song arrangements. Clip launchers seem like a dumber version of that.

This video does a great job of demonstrating it. Just try not to get distracted by Gregor's moustache.
https://youtu.be/56f8HzMiRJQ
I find that a ridiculously complicated way of doing something simple. First he goes to the trouble of setting up an Arranger track, which is tedious. Then he goes through the rigmarole of saving a new version. Then he has to move everything to a scratchpad, which compresses it to half the width of the screen. After he's done all of that, he can finally start to do some actual work on the arrangement. Then, when/if he's happy, he has to move it out of the scratchpad and replace the main arrangement with the new one. It's stupid.

All you need to do is press CTRL+S to save a version you're happy with, then work on the new arrangement and, when you've got something else you are happy with, save it as a new version. If it doesn't work out, just revert the file to the last saved version and try again. It couldn't be simpler but people seem to enjoy making their lives far more complicated than they need to be, just because they can.

I tried out scratch pads when I first moved over to Studio One but I never really saw any advantage to them.

You're talking about "Save New Version" as demonstrated in the video below, right?

https://youtu.be/WkSIN8juZu4

That is indeed an awesome way to work, and you can just keep multiple versions of the song within a single song (technically different files in the History folder, but it behaves as one.) So you can have, for example, an album version, a radio edit, and an extended mix under a single song title in your Songs list. Then you just pull up the specific version you want at any given time. 8)

But the Arranger track and the Scratch Pad both serve important functions, as well.

I had always used markers to label my song sections. That’s the Cubase way of doing things, and It's something I brought over to Studio One from Cubase. But recently I've gotten into using the Arranger Track instead. It's not only better for keeping track of song sections, but it's great for easily building and rearranging the song structure. Because it doesn't just exist linearly in the timeline. There is also a side-panel for it that opens in the Inspector on the left. There, the sections appear as a stack, from top to bottom. Move a section to a different location in the stack, and the song arrangement in the timeline switches up to match it. Duplicate a section in the stack, and it is automatically duplicated in the timeline. Instant extended mix. And then, "Save New Version." 8)

The scratchpad is exactly that—a temporary sidebar. It's not meant to be a permanent fixture. It's a blank workspace where you can work out a song section in isolation, without having to worry about moving other sections around to make room. Once you've got it sorted out, you just drag it over to the Arrange Track where you want it in the song, and then hide the scratchpad again. It's like a wide margin to work out the maths.

Say you came up with a new section or a variation that you want to keep, but you don’t know what to do with just yet. You can tuck it away for later in a scratchpad, and you get it out of the way of your main timeline, so you can move forward.

The best part is you can later drag it from the scratchpad directly to where you want it in the song, all within the Inspector. When you start using it like that, it actually makes quite a lot of sense.

8)
Last edited by jamcat on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I'm not a S1 owner and I don't plan to become one but this is a very handy, useful feature and workflow improvement. Thanks for describing it, jamcat.

Here's another example of Studio One's slow development.

Waveform 13 just got a clip launcher, who's next Cubase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Wd7HAWzlA

eerie_audio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:53 pm Here's another example of Studio One's slow development.
It depends on what you consider as „Slow development“: Presonus seems to be quite strict on their voting system for new features. If a Clip Launcher has not enough votes, it probably won’t ever happen.

I personally couldn’t care less about Dolby Atmos, but now it‘s there. But in each of the past releases, there was something to like for me.

eerie_audio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:53 pm Here's another example of Studio One's slow development.

Waveform 13 just got a clip launcher, who's next Cubase
No, it’s an example of Studio One’s smart development, because it doesn’t have a clip launcher and Studio One users overwhelming don’t want one and lobby PreSonus not to ever add one, by a 10:1 ratio.

So if you want that shit in your DAW, Studio One is not for you and you should GTFO.

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:05 pm

No, it’s an example of Studio One’s smart development, because it doesn’t have a clip launcher and Studio One users overwhelming don’t want one and lobby PreSonus not to ever add one, by a 10:1 ratio.

So if you want that shit in your DAW, Studio One is not for you and you should GTFO.
I have to say +1...
besides the fact that they implemented a kind of Clip launcher in the way they wanted to already years ago...
So it´s more of a prove of Waveform´s slow development...

Second... it´s always funny how some push some niche funtionality as if it would be the absolute DAW standard...
If you have a look on i.e. YT far more than 80% of Ableton user vids presented, never touch on the clip launcher at all... they all work just on the arrangement page... so cannot be the "must-have" feature if even a big part of Ableton users themselves don´t touch it...

I came up with my own little concept of a clip launcher years ago...back in 2016.

To quote myself

"The Nodal System

The advantages of a node approach over the conventional workspace system we are use to in Studio One 3 / 3.5, is that tracks can be both controlled on a horizontal and vertical basis within a node environment system, independently or in conjunction with the normal sequencing arrangement.

On a vertical basis, it allows tracks within the main sequencer to be organised simply and quickly without having to dive into the sequencer, zooming in and out, and dragging up and down. With the node system, tracks can be re-configured and include an ID which is assigned to them.

The single or grouped tracks within a container node can be reorganised by colour, alphabetically or data-type - eg wave data, note data, automation data etc at track level. This organisation happens in a non destructive way inside the node environment and allows the user complete freedom in how they want to present the track at node level which you typically have with node based systems.

Nodes themselves can be re-configured themselves when selected, presented in different patterns and be save as a user preset. The track node organisation parts can then be then transferred to the main sequencer. The node environment is really split into two parts of which either one or both can be displayed..vie a click of a button. 'The Nodal Track Manager' or 'NTM' and the 'NSM' the Nodal Sequence Manager, the latter of which, I'll come to next.

__

The nodal sequence manager, or 'NSM', works on a horizontal plane but of course can be viewed in any way you wish to display it. When tracks are copied over to the node environment, the clips / events on those tracks are then represented as individual nodes connected by lines and I/O points.
The type of data a clip/event contains is identified on each and every node vie a pictorial image and represented colour.

As you can imagine, configuring and managing how these clip/events nodes can be organised to playback, provides more flexibility for the composer. You are also able to access the data contained within the node which you can then edit as you normally would but in the safety of the node framework environment.

The difference between the node system and that of the scratch pad system which follows the similar non-destructive editing process is that you have an overview and complete connectivity system in which to connect and playback parts or sections of track in any way which you desire. Split and set up different playback timings for each node to play back, and to trigger other nodes to stop or play, change the volume, speed up or down, apply volume curves and any other possible parameters which are difficult, time consuming or impossible to do conventionally.

The node system would contain a panel with sliders for controlling how these each of nodes would function as well as vector curve and line displays.

The play position mark of a node or connected nodes is indicated by a descending bar to indicate the time left, (or point in time it is currently) and optionally a numerical value and total time.

A Node Control Track would be transferred to the main sequencer track if nodes are copied from the node environment, with various options such as overriding any other similar sequence data.

The node system provides a different but familiar framework to manage and compose in for a user in essence and new ways to work if they so desire, in perhaps a quicker and more flexible way.

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

eerie_audio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:53 pm Waveform 13 just got a clip launcher, who's next Cubase?
I doubt that a clip launcher is planned in Cubase.

Yes, I know that it often comes up on forums as something people want to see in every DAW out there, but, let's be honest, it's much better to keep it focused, than to create something which can do a bit of everything, but isn't really comprehensive and good in anything. It's the typical mistake people make who don't have a clue about the demands of professional software.

TBH, most DAWs already have too many features.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scratchpad, Clip Launcher , Reason (Blocks) . I think they are all great tools , but maybe NOT for everyone .To be fair to Waveform13 . They have totally done a great job with there clip launcher . You don't even have to SEE or KNOW it's there . That's a win win for everyone. It was done very tastefully .

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:35 pm Yes, I know that it often comes up on forums as something people want to see in every DAW out there, but, let's be honest
it’s only this forum and it’s the same small group of loud clip launcher boosters every time.

Yeah, I guess it's what happens when you own 10 different DAWs, can't decide which one to choose as your main DAW, and you have to Frankenstein your pesonal feature monster. ;)

And also when you make endless ambient techno soundscapes instead of real songs with real instruments and a definitive beginning, middle, and end. Hi, KVR! :P

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:35 pm most DAWs already have too many features.
This is true
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:05 pm

You think that old school guitar players on an old school forum is the direction the entire Studio One community wants? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but guitar music isn't popular anymore, maybe there's a reason for that. People have moved on to electronic and digital forms of creating. I know it's hard for you to understand this, but artists shouldn't be limited by their tools, so providing them can only be a benefit. If you don't have the mental capacity to find it's usefulness, but you can with a scratchpad, than there's a breakdown in your theory.

Try not to get so worked up over an idea or feature that a lot of people want, and you don't have to use by simply toggling off. I'm sure you're busy with that Dolby ATMOS along with 99% of the other users that begged for it, so I'll let you get back to jamming.

eerie_audio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:47 pm You think that old school guitar players on an old school forum is the direction the entire Studio One community wants? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but guitar music isn't popular anymore, maybe there's a reason for that.
Did you notice that Fender, not KORG, owns PreSonus? Lucky for us Studio One users, old school guitars is their business.
People have moved on to electronic and digital forms of creating. I know it's hard for you to understand this, but artists shouldn't be limited by their tools, so providing them can only be a benefit.
Stop trying to make Studio One something it isn’t, and move on to a DAW that already caters to your wants. Ableton and Bitwig are waiting for you with open arms.

And BTW, Studio One actually has something like a clip launcher in the Show page, which is the place for something like that, where it’s been for quite a while. But no one talks about it because no one cares about that sort of thing, and the handful of people clamoring for it don’t even know it’s there already, because they are largely ignorant to how Studio One works and all of the features it already offers.
Last edited by jamcat on Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”