Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:32 pm Looping is antithetical to creativity.
It’s a sure way to get in a rut and never move forward. Literally and figuratively.

It is the bane of songwriters.
Arguably one of the most popular and talented singer, songwriter and guitar players on the planet at the moment, maybe you've heard of the wee ginger lad, Ed Sheeran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiSgX-T_oPw

Just in case you haven't heard of him or seen what a looper/clip launcher can do for performances. And even the actual creation process, you might learn a thing or two from him, even if you don't enjoy his music.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:59 pmLoops are the foundation building blocks in the process of creating popular music and have been for hundreds of years. Whether that's repeating melodies, sound effects, or drums and percussion.
Don’t confuse repetition in music with looping, whether you’re being deliberately obtuse or not.

It's not your DAW to decide what others want to see developed for it
Want all you want.

To quote John Lydon, “This is what you want… this is what you get.”
Last edited by jamcat on Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

You guys should stop fighting.

Accept each other's different point of view (ref. workflow, needs, style ...).

Like we say in our area: Every idiot is different. I'm sure we all are meant by this proverb. :wink:

eerie_audio wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:18 pm Just in case you haven't heard of him or seen what a looper/clip launcher can do for performances.
Let me repeat what I’ve already said a few times: Studio One already has a clip launcher for performances on the Show page. So you can give it a rest.

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:19 pm it is incompatible with linear creation of music of determinate length with a definitive beginning, middle, and end (aka a “song.”)
No, it isn't.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:32 pm Looping is antithetical to creativity.
It’s a sure way to get in a rut and never move forward. Literally and figuratively.

It is the bane of songwriters.
No, it isn't.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Despite all the sparks in here - it is very clear to me (judging by past/ongoing work on the Show Page) PLUS that spanky new transfer format (between Bitwig and Studio One) released in S1 6.5 - that a very elegant clip launcher is most definitely part of the future plans for S1.

Took me about 2 minutes watching that Lukas video (5 Ways to use the Show Page) to tell me this will be very easy for them to do - and I cannot see why they would ever bother devoting ANY dev time whatsoever in teaming up for the new .DAWProject format with Bitwig - if one could not actually - you know - transfer a Bitwig project accurately AND in it's entirety.

Makes no sense if a source song from Bitwig (100% based around a clip launcher) has no "home" coming into an S1 environment - with no clip launcher.

Sounds like a great V7 new feature candidate to me.

VP

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm Sounds like a great V7 new feature candidate to me.
But then the entire voting system is utter BS and we can wholeheartedly ignore it.

But the .DAWproject format exists right now in Studio One. So what happens with those loops?
It seems like if they were going to support that sort of thing in the Song page, they would have implemented it before .DAWproject went live.

Also remember, this is an open standard created by PreSonus for sharing across any supporting DAW (they do that a lot). Bitwig just so happens to be the first to get onboard. But PreSonus' aim is for all DAWs to eventually adopt it.

So does that mean Studio One is going to have to support every feature of every DAW? Of course not.
The point of it is to be able to load not just MIDI and media files, or pan and volume settings, but also plugin settings and automation. DAWproject is all about being able to move from one DAW to another to capitalise on each DAW's unique feature set and strengths as needed, not to make all DAWs the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdK5YyhO7k

And here's Joe showing you how you can already use Studio One as a looper.

https://youtu.be/ev-OQxF0ZtU?si=0YxjEGoVl0PxWKUz

So to me it looks like they are already quite happy with where they are right now.
I think if you are anticipating any big change on this front, you are going to be very disappointed for a very long time.

Crossinger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:07 pmBut then the entire voting system is utter BS and we can wholeheartedly ignore it.
Same thing happened with ATMOS - and that got in - big time.

Despite popular myths - the entire Studio One work plan is not 100% based on what item is at #8 on the old feature chart.

Give what they have accomplished in just versions - their dev roadmap is most likely very deep, very detailed and very into the future.

VP

But there was actually quite a demand for ATMOS, particularly after Studio One introduced video editing.
And perhaps most importantly, it aligns with PreSonus' vision for Studio One, which is to compete in the same market as Pro Tools and Nuendo, not Ableton and Bitwig.

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:21 pmBut the .DAWproject format exists right now in Studio One. So what happens with those loops? It seems like if they were going to support that sort of thing in the Song page, they would have implemented it before .DAWproject went live.
Hey - I am merely speculating thru my eyes and putting together some thoughts.

If/when something like this materializes - just ignore it like I do with ATMOS.

Problem solved - should not effect you in the least.

VP

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm But there was actually quite a demand for ATMOS, particularly after Studio One introduced video editing.
Funny how I do not hear a peep about ATMOS in S1 these days.

It's almost like they built the best ATMOS intergration possible - and then everyone scattered.

But one look at how they did it (and how elegant it is) - shows that this was boiling in the dev pot for a very long time.

VP

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:21 pmBut the .DAWproject format exists right now in Studio One. So what happens with those loops? It seems like if they were going to support that sort of thing in the Song page, they would have implemented it before .DAWproject went live.
Hey - I am merely speculating thru my eyes and putting together some thoughts.

If/when something like this materializes - just ignore it like I do with ATMOS.

Problem solved - should not effect you in the least.

VP
And I am merely making a case for why that sort of speculation is likely off base and certainly misguided.

Demanding Bitwig features in Studio One is like going into Pete Luger's and demanding they serve Happy Meals.

Last edited by jamcat on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:21 pm And here's Joe showing you how you can already use Studio One as a looper.

https://youtu.be/ev-OQxF0ZtU?si=0YxjEGoVl0PxWKUz
It's painfully obvious that you have at best a just a very faint idea of what Live's Session View (and similar functions in other DAWs) actually is - hint: it's not at all just "a looper".

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”