Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know how Studio One works. That is what I use. If I wanted to use Ableton instead, I would.
So you stick to Ableton and I'll stick to Studio One. And then everyone is happy.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:42 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm But there was actually quite a demand for ATMOS, particularly after Studio One introduced video editing.
Funny how I do not hear a peep about ATMOS in S1 these days.

It's almost like they built the best ATMOS intergration possible - and then everyone scattered.
You hear a lot about it from PreSonus themselves. Most of the major new features in the past few Studio One updates, including 6.6 that was just released, have revolved around ATMOS.

If you hung out on a forum for people who did film composition and sound, instead of one for people who do ambient techno soundscapes on SoundCloud, you'd probably hear a bit more about ATMOS (and a lot less about clip launchers.)

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 pmIf you hung out on a forum for people who did film composition and sound, instead of one for people who do ambient techno soundscapes on SoundCloud, you'd probably hear a bit more about ATMOS (and a lot less about clip launchers.)
This is just one (of many) forum stops for me.

The ATMOS party is quiet vs say the "WFT PRESONUS - WHERE's ATMOS?" blowout prior to the launch of v6.5.

Then again members of the much larger "post" crowds I hang with - do not use Studio One anyway - so it's really moot point.

VP

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:49 pm I know how Studio One works. That is what I use. If I wanted to use Ableton instead, I would.
So you stick to Ableton and I'll stick to Studio One. And then everyone is happy.
Your head is that far up your butt I don't think you'll ever manage to pull it out again - here's some facts:

- you badmouthed Live i.e. you talked about it

- you did so even though you obviously have no clue how it actually works

- I don't use Live

- I just corrected you because I genuinely enjoy roasting stupid people saying stupid things - I really do - shoot me. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:06 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 pmIf you hung out on a forum for people who did film composition and sound, instead of one for people who do ambient techno soundscapes on SoundCloud, you'd probably hear a bit more about ATMOS (and a lot less about clip launchers.)
This is just one (of many) forum stops for me.

The ATMOS party is quiet vs say the "WFT PRESONUS - WHERE's ATMOS?" blowout prior to the launch of v6.5.

Then again members of the much larger "post" crowds I hang with - do not use Studio One anyway - so it's really moot point.

VP
Yeah, that's just the way it goes. People make a lot of noise about something until they get it, and then they stop making noise. Who knows if the silence is because they're happy with it or because they didn't actually need it and haven't actually used it?

PreSonus added clip launching to Studio One but the people demanding it don't even know it. They just like making noise.

jens wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:08 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:49 pm I know how Studio One works. That is what I use. If I wanted to use Ableton instead, I would.
Your head is that far up your butt I don't think you'll ever manage to pull it out again - here's some facts:

- you badmouthed Live i.e. you talked about it

- you did so even though you obviously have no clue how it actually works

- I don't use Live

- I just corrected you because I genuinely enjoy roasting stupid people saying stupid things - I really do - shoot me. :hihi:
- I wasn't even talking about Ableton. I was talking about Studio One and what it offers.

- I actually just said "here's Joe showing you how you can already use Studio One as a looper" and posted a video of... Joe showing you how you can use Studio One as a looper.

The rest of that statement (which you omitted) is key: "So to me it looks like they are already quite happy with where they are right now. I think if you are anticipating any big change on this front, you are going to be very disappointed for a very long time."

- You mostly just "roast" your own straw men and misrepresentations. I don't even bother refuting you much anymore because you're such a muppet.

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:20 pm I wasn't even talking about Ableton.
lol...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:20 pm - I wasn't even talking about Ableton. I was talking about Studio One and what it offers.
Humm...
^ I thought you did.... :hihi:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:06 amThat's one way that songs end up permanently on the unfinished list.
I don't have any unfinished songs. Something either becomes a song or it doesn't. And songs that don't make it onto an album are very quickly lost for all time. I'm pretty ruthless that way. If something isn't working, I'll drop and never come back to it so the idea of keeping things around on a scratchpad seems like a waste of time, just more clutter.
But that's why I also said this:
jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:19 pm It can be compatible with certain types of live performances, though, which is why you will find it where it belongs, on the Show page.
That wouldn't work for Reggie, though, would it?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 am
But that's why I also said this:
jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:19 pm It can be compatible with certain types of live performances, though, which is why you will find it where it belongs, on the Show page.
That wouldn't work for Reggie, though, would it?
I think it would. Why wouldn’t it?
In fact, even this live looping method in the Song page that Joe demonstrates would work for Reggie in a live performance. Isn’t this exactly what Reggie does?

https://youtu.be/ev-OQxF0ZtU

Hallo Spaceboy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 am Live has an almost completely different workflow from a more traditional linear DAW like Cubase or Studio One. Of course, you don't have to use any of the "clip launching" features of Live. But then I would ask, "What's the point?" Live's linear workflow is inferior to that of Cubase and Studio One in almost every respect, IMO.

I guess I just don't see the value in "jamming" with clips to work out your song arrangement. Is it really that hard to figure out the structure of your song in your head? Of course I'm not denying that interacting with clips in this fashion can be fun and perhaps even inspiring. But at the end of the day I'd like to think of myself as a thoughtful (and even methodical) songwriter and not an improviser.

Plus, I don't use audio loops (drum or instrument) at all. I program my own drum parts and if I want a guitar or other instrument in my song I'll just hire someone to come in and play. I've even hired student string players to lay down string parts.

So if you are like me, it's not worth putting up with Live's deficiencies for features I will never use. I'm just glad that Steinberg and Presonus have so far resisted the misguided (in my opinion) calls to add a clip launcher to their respective DAWs. As I mentioned in a previous post, Cubase is already bloated enough for my tastes.
I don't think I've used the clip launcher or "session view" thing much. Admittedly, Abelton is just the first thing I ran into that I liked. It's also great for actual Live audio stuff in my opinion, but I can't say whether or not its better than anything else. I used Reaper once for a live show and it seemed to work just fine, even though I was a little unfamiliar with it.

jamcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 amI think it would. Why wouldn’t it?
Because he starts with nothing, so what would you set up on the Show Page?
In fact, even this live looping method in the Song page that Joe demonstrates would work for Reggie in a live performance. Isn’t this exactly what Reggie does?
Yep and you don't need the Show Page to use it. In fact, I'm not sure how you'd use the Show Page for this.

What I find interesting about JG's video is that he talks like doing this kind of thing isn't a completely obvious workflow, that's it is some kind of revelation. It's pretty much exactly how I use Studio One and every other DAW I've used, only with MIDI rather than audio.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hallo Spaceboy. I use Live for traditional recording. While I wouldn't recommend it for the studio or engineers because of the non-traditional mixer and workflow, for my home use it's quicker and easier than anything else I've used. That said, it took three tries for that to actually sink in. It was when I stopped trying to adapt it to my habits and adapted to its, that I was finally won over. But to each their own.

As to the topic, I'm not a lover of tiny icons and busy interfaces. I find that it takes me far too long to find, and for my eye to settle on the feature I want. Not to mention the required precision with the mouse. Of course it gets easier over time, but after a couple of years I still found this to be true. I still think S1 is a fine program for the people it fits.

eerie_audio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:53 pm Here's another example of Studio One's slow development.

Waveform 13 just got a clip launcher, who's next Cubase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Wd7HAWzlA
Well it's not exactly Cubase, but the next best thing from Steinberg, VST Live Pro 2 and Flex Loops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psxl4TJbOKI&t=16s

eerie_audio wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 pmWell it's not exactly Cubase, but the next best thing from Steinberg, VST Live Pro 2 and Flex Loops.
AKA - Steinberg just copied the Show Page from S1.

Wow.

VP

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”