M51 Galaxy: a preview

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

The Dr and I have been busy. While still working on the M42FX, th Dr took a break, and tried Phase Distortion OSCers with the M42 concept. A bit of feedback between us and we have a new synth: the M51 Galaxy! Take a look:

This has TWO Warp modules ( one for each synth) plus several new functions including a "stepped" LFO which gives a very unique sound on the filter ( or whatever)There is also a ring modulator in there with a parameter we call "metal", which makes this have a unique sound and way different then the original M42 nebula. The PD Oscillators has a sound all it's own as well, and gives very "lush" sound. Also notice the click in parameters, so no more scrolling thru parameters any more.The GUI as a result is much smaller and easier to handle for Orion and FL Studio Users now :-)

Sound demo's to follow soon, but thought we would give you a sneak peak. We have not been sitting around!! :-)

Comments welcome

TC

:o

Arrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh 8)

Its hurting my eyes :oops:

:-o :shock: :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Looks great! Looking forward to hearing this.

:shock: :shock: :shock: ...... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

HI

SO whats the Cross-grade deal for M42'ers :cry: !

Flipper.

ooooooooooooh if it's as good as M42 then i want it :D

Jim

I remember driving up the M51 and it wasn't as pretty as that. 8)

Is M51 the culmination of the M42 suggestions thread or is that the forthcoming V2 of M42?

Some thoughts...

The new curvy ADSR diagram looks as though exponential percussive slopes are available for decay and release? That would be excellent.

I'm confused by the presence of two warp controls. I only have two hands and one mouse. How can I play the keyboard with one hand and control two XY pads simultaneously without using my teeth? Also, that dark lavender background is not a great color. The original space image is more attractive.

The smaller size of the GUI is cool. You could keep going in this direction... I noticed how the Chorus section has 6 controls and 2 leds but it's smaller than the envelope sections which only have four controls and an led. Unless you are consciously trying to avoid knobs because you like sliders better, knobs are more space-efficient.

If there was one Warp control and the DCA and MOD EGs were combined into one section with two horizontal rows of knobs, then the whole GUI could shrink horizontally. This could give room for a more flexible mod matrix. Bones' M42 review wasn't cool... but I did agree with him on one point: it would be good if a mod source could be applied to more than one destination. Please review the link below:

http://wave.prohosting.com/jzero/m51suggest.html

I really like that metallic bronze. It really suits the good Doctor's love affair with orange!

Best Regards,
jzero

Just watch out before all them BONESian people will criticize it sounding too plain ;)

Looks rather promising, and the PD oscillators sure have a nice sound.

Regards,

JMH
Now available with added Inherently Suspect Justification!

jzero wrote:Is M51 the culmination of the M42 suggestions thread or is that the forthcoming V2 of M42?

Some thoughts...

The new curvy ADSR diagram looks as though exponential percussive slopes are available for decay and release? That would be excellent.

I'm confused by the presence of two warp controls. I only have two hands and one mouse. How can I play the keyboard with one hand and control two XY pads simultaneously without using my teeth? Also, that dark lavender background is not a great color. The original space image is more attractive.

The smaller size of the GUI is cool. You could keep going in this direction... I noticed how the Chorus section has 6 controls and 2 leds but it's smaller than the envelope sections which only have four controls and an led. Unless you are consciously trying to avoid knobs because you like sliders better, knobs are more space-efficient.

If there was one Warp control and the DCA and MOD EGs were combined into one section with two horizontal rows of knobs, then the whole GUI could shrink horizontally. This could give room for a more flexible mod matrix. Bones' M42 review wasn't cool... but I did agree with him on one point: it would be good if a mod source could be applied to more than one destination. Please review the link below:

http://wave.prohosting.com/jzero/m51suggest.html

I really like that metallic bronze. It really suits the good Doctor's love affair with orange!

Best Regards,
jzero

Hi Jzero

Thanks again for all the work in your re-design. I mailed the DR, and we will see what we can do. There are some suggs for ver 2 of M42 in there to answer that Q. I also like the space images, but the Dr and I are discussing it. We want the GUI's to look as proffessional as possible.

TC

space is very professional ...

dare i say,sweet :o

Hi jzero,
jzero wrote:Is M51 the culmination of the M42 suggestions thread or is that the forthcoming V2 of M42?

Some thoughts...

As for now only for the amp envelopes...
jzero wrote:I'm confused by the presence of two warp controls. I only have two hands and one mouse. How can I play the keyboard with one hand and control two XY pads simultaneously without using my teeth? Also, that dark lavender background is not a great color. The original space image is more attractive.
Actually, having 2 warps is very cool, at least imo, you don't HAVE to use them simultaneously!
Also, each warp has a mode switch now: "CL": original warp effect (so, distortion plus lowpass filter with cutoff and resonance), "LP": lowpass only and --- (off). On top of that Wx (filter cutoff frequency) is now in the mod matrix.
I don't agree with you about the space image, and especially not because then there would be 2 of them. Would look very silly that way imo.
The dark lavender color gives some nice contrast, but I have an orange version as well I can upload if you like...
jzero wrote: The smaller size of the GUI is cool. You could keep going in this direction... I noticed how the Chorus section has 6 controls and 2 leds but it's smaller than the envelope sections which only have four controls and an led. Unless you are consciously trying to avoid knobs because you like sliders better, knobs are more space-efficient.

Thanks for that. But unfortunately the synth you are proposing would be next to unusable, unless we all had 6 GHz computers. I tried only one synth made by this BONES guy (Karmakiller, wasn't impressed, btw:-) and most, if not all, presets were mono. One particular preset used up to 35% cpu on my 2.8 GHz PC when i played some fast arpeggio's!
The small knobs are not very precise, so i use them only there where precision is not that important.
jzero wrote: I really like that metallic bronze. It really suits the good Doctor's love affair with orange!
Our national colour!
Long live our good Queen:-)

Best Regards,
DrA

Return to “AlgoMusic”