Making music artwork. Alternatives to Adobe?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did buy the 3 Affinity products (then, not the updates), but i didn't uninstall Gimp either.

enroe wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:00 pm. You can
tell that GIMP is professional by the fact that it can also process
the HEIF format natively!
Does it do CMYK yet?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:27 am I did buy the 3 Affinity products (then, not the updates), but i didn't uninstall Gimp either.
Well, I did uninstall Gimp just for that reason. Affinity does everything that Gimp did, but twice as fast and easily.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:30 am
enroe wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:00 pm You can tell that GIMP is professional by the fact that it can also process
the HEIF format natively!
Does it do CMYK yet?
Of course: look here!

But I admit: Recently I always used Photoshop for this. :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:03 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:27 am I did buy the 3 Affinity products (then, not the updates), but i didn't uninstall Gimp either.
Well, I did uninstall Gimp just for that reason. Affinity does everything that Gimp did, but twice as fast and easily.
Aye. Then this is definitely an advantage for you.

Not for me though. The myriad of filtering algorithms and customization
options that GIMP offers are incredible. When I look at Affinity, this
program has maybe just a percent of that on offer. Hardly comparable.

But for simple, quick adjustments to images that are "common", that's
where Affinity is really good.
:wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Photoshop is still the best for me, but I don't use any filters, just color. Gimp is a good choice as well, always has been in the over 20 years since I've been using it off and on. I would rate gimp over affinity myself, but I do know how to use it well. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:39 am I would rate gimp over affinity myself
I wouldn't. Never ever. :P I used Gimp for quite a while before first buying Photoshop Elements and then Affinity Photo, and both are signinficantly easier and faster to use, and also come with more content and automatisms. Although Affinity Photo is pretty poor in terms of content (brushes, textures, assets etc.) as well.

See what AI can do for you: https://www.mage.space/

chk071 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:56 am
pekbro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:39 am I would rate gimp over affinity myself
I wouldn't. Never ever. :P I used Gimp for quite a while before first buying Photoshop Elements and then Affinity Photo, and both are signinficantly easier and faster to use, and also come with more content and automatisms. Although Affinity Photo is pretty poor in terms of content (brushes, textures, assets etc.) as well.
I also don't do a lot of photo editing, if I use a photo it's just to get the lines or perspective. I am
going to paint over it. I pretty much only use one brush and no textures as the human eye is super
good at spotting repeating patterns. It's all about color and compound shapes for me. :shrug:
Vortifex wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:39 am See what AI can do for you: https://www.mage.space/
Not a lot it seems, heh. At least for me, my results were pretty weak. heh

pekbro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:48 am Not a lot it seems, heh. At least for me, my results were pretty weak. heh
You have to use the right prompts. It can chuck out rubbish, but it can also make some really cool stuff.

Vortifex wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:39 am See what AI can do for you: https://www.mage.space/
What the hell, this is so dope.

Anyone has any experience with paint shop pro. I don't use affinity photo that much so not planning to upgrade to v2. Eying the humble Bundle instead.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I don't know if they fixed it in a more current version, but, I had massive issues with the GUI rendering in an older version of Paint Shop Pro I got with an older Humble Bundle. The GUI was so slow, it was almost unusable.

satYatunes wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:29 pm Anyone has any experience with paint shop pro. I don't use affinity photo that much so not planning to upgrade to v2. Eying the humble Bundle instead.
I've been using it on and off since the 90s I guess, to me, just seems intuitive, works how you think it should where I've found things like gimp and affinity counter-intuitive a lot of the time. Could be experience though.

I found my old 'X' version ran fine on a new-ish machine with Win11. I recently got the 2022 version (thanks Pekbro!) and it 'generally' still runs fine. I have noticed occasionally it takes the tool options a second or two to update when switching tools and the zoom can be a little laggy but it runs fine where it counts, actual creating stuff, drawing etc etc... the AI bits are pretty cool. I had to resize a photo, making it significantly bigger and the 'AI' assisted algo really made a decent job of it, not nearly as blocky as a traditional resize.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”