SSL Native Channel Strip 2 & Bus Compressor 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:05 pm
Razzia wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:00 am Have they overhauled the DSP in the plugins? Their site is bad enough on desktop but I’m on mobile right now and it’s even harder to find my way around.

I’ll be very happy to try this out when I get home from work. Would not have expected SSL of all companies to give a free ver. 2 update.
It's a pretty significant update. The Bus Comp sounds much better (tighter, but in a good way), the Channel Strip EQ looks like it wasn't just decramped but straight up rewritten. The E-channel setting on the EQ adds harmonics that didn't exist on the prior version. It's a big improvement all-around IMO.

I wasn't expecting a free update from SSL either, but kudos to them. Some companies take care of their users and earn goodwill.
Thanks man. Today is my day off and I'll finally have time to give them a proper run through the paces, but it's worth saying that I always appreciate you for being a guy who provides helpful responses without any off the grudging grumpiness that's sort of pervasive on here. Have a great day dude.

I just did a quick test on a few loops and its night and day. BC2 makes the previous version sound like a toy. Very happy with this incredible free upgrade. So glad I picked these up on random sales.

This duo is on sale now for $49.99. I'm demoing it now, well, because SSL! I have the Waves E-Channel and the G Bus Comp. Will do a bit of side-by-side testing, but so far in Plugin Doctor, the filters are basically the same between the two, but the Channel Strip 2 has seemingly more musical EQ curves overall. The Waves version's bell curves are much more narrow and surgical, while the native SSL's are more broad and "soft", which I'm assuming is more true to life on a real console? This to me would make the SSL version more of a joy to use for adding color and overall tonal changes quickly. Furthermore, the high band shelf has a nice push-pull curve to it.

It's a really nice looking interface, but it's more geared to be used with the SSL controller. And most of us have a number of clones already. For myself, there's the SSL by Softube, UAD and I think by Native instruments and IK -which I never use, then the Slate clone and Plug in Alliance, so unless this is something really spectacular.. a pass.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

2:43AM wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:06 am the Channel Strip 2 has seemingly more musical EQ curves overall.
I watched a shootout, I think it was waves & PA & SSL and the top end sounded sweeter for the SSL. But remember the SSL Channel is a 9000k emulation?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

musicdoc wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:58 am but it's more geared to be used with the SSL controller.
What makes you say that? I had the PA SSL4000e plugin before the SSL one and they are almost identical in use withiin the DAW.

There is the 360 controller which is free and you don't need any hardware to use..but I tend to use the channel strip in the same way as any other plugin rather than use the 360 degree thing.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

the plugins sound great! The tiny GUI without an option to resize is not great. Especially on the channelstrip.

I just noticed that the Channel Strip 2 has the option to select either the E or G channels. In my previous post, I was using the G channel mode (default), and it is more "mellow" with bigger curves, plus the shelves have the push-pull effect. E-channel allows for more Q, and the shelves are "normal." The filters of the SSL native are more accurate, to a degree, where the 3dB cutoff freq more closely lines up to what's on the dial. Still a bit of a difference, which is fine. Compression knees in the SSL native are a bit harder and grabbier, and I prefer the sound of the SSL native, for sure, compared to the Waves. CPU load is very light, which is awesome, even on HQ mode.

This is a no-brainer deal, really, at least for me. The GUI is a bit bloated, especially for the Bus Comp; lots of wasted space, but the Waves version is retiring to the plugin closet.

How do you like the SSL plugins compared to others like PA ?

musicdoc wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:58 am It's a really nice looking interface, but it's more geared to be used with the SSL controller. And most of us have a number of clones already. For myself, there's the SSL by Softube, UAD and I think by Native instruments and IK -which I never use, then the Slate clone and Plug in Alliance, so unless this is something really spectacular.. a pass.
These are modelling the SSL 9000J console and most others are modelling the 4000 Series...

I heard the difference as soon as a started using them...

To quote a rather infamous ornithologist...

"These are the duck's nuts" 🌞
No auto tune...

ChamomileShark wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 am
2:43AM wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:06 am the Channel Strip 2 has seemingly more musical EQ curves overall.
I watched a shootout, I think it was waves & PA & SSL and the top end sounded sweeter for the SSL. But remember the SSL Channel is a 9000k emulation?
Correct.

2:43AM wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:51 am I just noticed that the Channel Strip 2 has the option to select either the E or G channels. In my
I dont think I've ever needed to read the manual, but are you sure the defaults are G curves (are they still using those same specs today)? Its a model of the 9000K, not the 4000G. I think the E is our 'vintage' option, with that button off, its a good old modern 9000K emulation.

mothra wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:41 pmI dont think I've ever needed to read the manual, but are you sure the defaults are G curves (are they still using those same specs today)? Its a model of the 9000K, not the 4000G. I think the E is our 'vintage' option, with that button off, its a good old modern 9000K emulation.
The 9000K hardware used the G series curves by default, with a button to switch to the E series behaviour - this is also what the channel strips do, as they model the behaviour of the 9000 series. More info in the manual...

beely wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:32 pm The 9000K hardware used the G series curves by default, with a button to switch to the E series behaviour - this is also what the channel strips do, as they model the behaviour of the 9000 series. More info in the manual...
LOL! Well damn, maybe I should read that PDF one of these days. I went through all the Brainworx ones I have, never did the SSLs. :lol:

Harmes wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:02 pm How do you like the SSL plugins compared to others like PA ?
The only PA strip that can compete with SSL Native is the BX 9000J which is actually very good. The other PA SSL strips are not even in the same ballpark as these two imo. I have them all and have closely compared them.

Return to “Effects”