SSL Native Channel Strip 2 & Bus Compressor 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wish SSL didn't use iLok...
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

If you ever have to reinstall all your plugins and you have a iLok, you'll be glad.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:04 pm If you ever have to reinstall all your plugins and you have a iLok, you'll be glad.
I barely have over 10 plugins installed, I'm very selective as to what I install and actually use. Besides, reinstalling happens once a while, usage happens everyday...

has anyone compared this to the Softube 9000 K-Series?
is that oranges and apples? must be closer than comparing this to a 4000e?
this current JRR price is a no brainer really. The bus compressor is instant expensive sound.

Recourt wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:54 pm
The only PA strip that can compete with SSL Native is the BX 9000J which is actually very good. The other PA SSL strips are not even in the same ballpark as these two imo. I have them all and have closely compared them.
What about the SSL native strip puts it in a “different ballpark” than the 4000E/G strips? Just curious as I have the E.

sqigls wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:42 am has anyone compared this to the Softube 9000 K-Series?
is that oranges and apples? must be closer than comparing this to a 4000e?
this current JRR price is a no brainer really. The bus compressor is instant expensive sound.
whoa, I didn't realize it was even cheaper on JRR, I was still wrestling with the decision whether to buy it or not, but at that price, I might as well. Only thing bugging me is the iLok.

The price at JRR showed $49 for me. Same as at SSL

LFO8 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:56 am The price at JRR showed $49 for me. Same as at SSL
once you add it to the card and go to checkout, they bring it down to $44.99, $5 less than what it's available at other stores.

Too late! I already bought it this morning at Plugin Boutique for €47 :hihi:

LFO8 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:48 am Too late! I already bought it this morning at Plugin Boutique for €47 :hihi:
haha nothing to lose, as plugin boutique might have given you a free reverb from Dear Reality. Also, you earn Virtual Cash with plugin boutique, and don't forget, once you rate the plugins you purchased, you get more virtual cash, so it's a win win :D

nights_blood wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:47 am
Recourt wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:54 pm
The only PA strip that can compete with SSL Native is the BX 9000J which is actually very good. The other PA SSL strips are not even in the same ballpark as these two imo. I have them all and have closely compared them.
What about the SSL native strip puts it in a “different ballpark” than the 4000E/G strips? Just curious as I have the E.
The PA E and G consoles compression characteristics do not sound like SSL compression and I think both consoles in general make a mix sound too soft or round when placed across the entire mix where SSL is more punchy and hard. Waves SSL EV2 or even the original waves strip capture that important characteristic better and I struggle less to achieve the sound I expect from them.

SSL native and BX 9000J, both based on the cleaner 9000 series, sound very similar and both have great SSL style compression characteristics. Both are also very easy to dial in as opposed to BX E. I do actually like the sound of BX G but again, the compressor feels weak to me.

Yes, tight, defined and clear is how I would describe the sound SSL native channel strip. Also ‘highf-def’

Recourt wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:13 am The PA E and G consoles compression characteristics do not sound like SSL compression and I think both consoles in general make a mix sound too soft or round when placed across the entire mix where SSL is more punchy and hard. Waves SSL EV2 or even the original waves strip capture that important characteristic better and I struggle less to achieve the sound I expect from them.

SSL native and BX 9000J, both based on the cleaner 9000 series, sound very similar and both have great SSL style compression characteristics. Both are also very easy to dial in as opposed to BX E. I do actually like the sound of BX G but again, the compressor feels weak to me.
I experienced this a couple weeks ago myself.. When Waves announced the whole sub thing, like everybody else I started freaking out and looking for replacements. I use the E v2 and their bus comp on everything. First plugs I pulled out were the PA ones I haven't used in ages. Set the E channel to the exact same settings, etc.. When I turned off the Waves channels, 'soft' is the best way I could describe it. All of sudden this track went from hard and heavy to 'tiny and spongey' sounding if that makes sense? It was like all the energy was sucked out of it. Not to mention they're about 10db short of input gain compared to the Waves (and SSL), which I use quite often.

Don't think I'll be pulling those plugs out any time soon. I had switched to those awhile back up until the Ev2 came out and man that thing was night and day. Pretty much moved away from the Waves now as well, finally pulled out the SSL Native ones I bought awhile back and never really used and man oh man, those things both rule.. Cant wait for the 4KB to go on sale now..

I wish they were resizable. They are just slightly too small on a 4k screen. Give me another 10-20% and they'll be more comfortable.

I like the SSL Channel 2 very much, very transparent but somehow "grippy". Also sounds a bit different than the Brainworx 9000J (even if you turn down THD). Especially for electronic music I like the 9000 better than, for example, the 4000.
Many still swear by the old Waves (4000e or EV2) but I do not really like them.
Has anyone switched from the Brainworx 9000j to the SSL Native Channel Strip 2?

Return to “Effects”