Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

Phuturetone wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:27 pm
For SynthEdit-built plugins to work they need some common support files called the "Visual C++ Redistributable Package". These need to be installed only once on each PC that uses plugins.
You can find it on this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -downloads

I think you'll need the x64 version:
https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Hope that helps.
...aaand homerun!

Everything works fine now. It was the Visual C++ Redistributable. Thank you Sasha. :tu:

Hi All,

GR-8 has been updated to 1.1.0:
  • Added version number to the GUI.
  • Added Synth/Effects Randomize and Reset functions (per request).
  • Changed Arp controls to drop-down menus (per request).
  • Fixed popup hint text for all switches.
  • Removed random phase from Oscillators in Mono and Poly modes.
  • Moved Pitch Bender and Mod Wheel controls above the wheels.
  • Added Pitch Transpose control (+/- 6 semitones) (per request).
  • Added Velocity to Filter Cutoff and Amplitude (per request).
  • Optimized LFOs to save CPU.
  • Added LFO Retrig button - this will affect some old presets (per request).
  • Added internal ON/OFF switches to Chorus, Delay & Reverb to save CPU.
  • Preset List returns to the top on a Category change.
  • Improved Preset List scrollbar motion.
  • Updated GUI and About screen.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

Cheers,
Sasha

Phuturetone wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:59 am Hi All,

GR-8 has been updated to 1.1.0:
  • Added version number to the GUI.
  • Added Synth/Effects Randomize and Reset functions (per request).
  • Changed Arp controls to drop-down menus (per request).
  • Fixed popup hint text for all switches.
  • Removed random phase from Oscillators in Mono and Poly modes.
  • Moved Pitch Bender and Mod Wheel controls above the wheels.
  • Added Pitch Transpose control (+/- 6 semitones) (per request).
  • Added Velocity to Filter Cutoff and Amplitude (per request).
  • Optimized LFOs to save CPU.
  • Added LFO Retrig button - this will affect some old presets (per request).
  • Added internal ON/OFF switches to Chorus, Delay & Reverb to save CPU.
  • Preset List returns to the top on a Category change.
  • Improved Preset List scrollbar motion.
  • Updated GUI and About screen.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

Cheers,
Sasha
Thank you very much for listening and commiting that much. This synth is quickly becoming a serious contender for these moments I just want something great sounding and very quick and easy to set and dial in what I want.

I still think you should improve the preset browser, however. It would be great to be able to create new user categories.

Finally, a suggestion: I think you should seriously consider releasing the FX tab from the GR-8 as an independent plugin. I bet it would become a VERY popular FX plugin.

Wow! This has made GR-8 so much more usable than it was. TBH, I haven't used it much for a while because of the lack of Velocity but it will now be the first thing I try when I want to change or add something to what I'm working on. Excellent work, Sasha!!! And thanks heaps.

One question, though - why only +/-6 semitones for the transpose, why not a whole octave?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:08 pm One question, though - why only +/-6 semitones for the transpose, why not a whole octave?
Thank you!

I wanted to make sure that it is possible to tune the pitch to each cent in that range, so the number of cents has to be less than the knob range in pixels.

+/- 6 Semitones is +/- 600 cents, so totally 1200 cents (one octave). The range of the knob + CTRL key is 2000 px.

I could make it go +/- 1200 cents, but then it would be a bit harder to handle precise tuning and impossible to select some cents.

If you guys want a wider range, but less precision, let me know.

Cheers!

Its great!!!! Thanks Phuturetone!!

Thanks for the update!

Not really a bug, but the macOS installer doesn't seem to replace an already installed AU GR-8 component. I first had to delete the previous version manually, before I could install the new one.

1980-F wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:16 am Thanks for the update!

Not really a bug, but the macOS installer doesn't seem to replace an already installed AU GR-8 component. I first had to delete the previous version manually, before I could install the new one.
I'm sorry about that! SynthEdit exports all plugins as 1.0.0 version. I tried to change the version number manually in the previous version but that didn't work. I think because of that change Mac now thinks it's not the same plugin. I assume now all Mac users will have the same problem when installing the latest version. :(

Phuturetone wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:01 pmIf you guys want a wider range, but less precision, let me know.
I would definitely prefer a whole octave. I cannot think of a situation where I would want to detune the whole synth by a number of semitones, let alone a number of cents. OTOH, being able to quickly detune up/down an octave makes it much easier to preview an instrument in a song without having to transpose the MIDI or retune individual oscillators.

Last night I put GR-8 into two more songs where it has instantly made the mixes sound better. Thanks again for the update, it's made the synth even GR-8er.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I would like to report some kind of a bug or not.

It seems on the latest update the reporting of automation parameters to DAWs has changed. I have an automation heavy track made with GR-8 for OSC151 and after the update the track is a total mess as my XMOD automation has turned into Pulse Width automation, my Cut off Filter automation to Env 2 Release etc. I don’t know if this is intentional and unavoidable or not. But I am reporting it.

On the positive side the phasing issues are fixed with "Sync" on and no longer my layered kick sounds like a DJ trying to mix two different songs :tu:.

Phuturetone wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:01 pm
BONES wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:08 pm One question, though - why only +/-6 semitones for the transpose, why not a whole octave?
Thank you!

I wanted to make sure that it is possible to tune the pitch to each cent in that range, so the number of cents has to be less than the knob range in pixels.

+/- 6 Semitones is +/- 600 cents, so totally 1200 cents (one octave). The range of the knob + CTRL key is 2000 px.

I could make it go +/- 1200 cents, but then it would be a bit harder to handle precise tuning and impossible to select some cents.

If you guys want a wider range, but less precision, let me know.

Cheers!
It's just perfect like this ! Now all X-MOD timbres can be perfectly tuned. Thanks very much for adding it !

Cool!

phankiejankie303 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:30 am I would like to report some kind of a bug or not.

It seems on the latest update the reporting of automation parameters to DAWs has changed. I have an automation heavy track made with GR-8 for OSC151 and after the update the track is a total mess as my XMOD automation has turned into Pulse Width automation, my Cut off Filter automation to Env 2 Release etc. I don’t know if this is intentional and unavoidable or not. But I am reporting it.

On the positive side the phasing issues are fixed with "Sync" on and no longer my layered kick sounds like a DJ trying to mix two different songs :tu:.
I had the same but I'm getting a crash in the latest version so I'm going back to the older test version I was using. Seems to have some of the latest features but not all. Not sure if possible but could try renaming the new version vst3 installing the old one aand seeing if it loads the old one whilst letting you Use the new one

phankiejankie303 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:30 am I would like to report some kind of a bug or not.

It's not a bug - it's a disaster. Hope it's only a dream.

Please let me know which DAW, what system and what the previous version of GR-8 you used to create the song.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've just compared, parameter IDs of the new version match all the previous versions. Phew!
Last edited by Phuturetone on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ELEX wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:33 pmIt's just perfect like this ! Now all X-MOD timbres can be perfectly tuned. Thanks very much for adding it !
It's perfect for one thing when it could be more useful for other things as well.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”