Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 am
ELEX wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:33 pmIt's just perfect like this ! Now all X-MOD timbres can be perfectly tuned. Thanks very much for adding it!
It's perfect for one thing when it could be more useful for other things as well.
I'm probably going to keep the current one, but also add octave transpose buttons. Just need to figure out where/how to place them.

How about top-left?
GR-8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:53 am How about top-left?
:tu:
I suggest it should be called "Octave" and have five settings -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.

Phuturetone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 pm
It's not a bug - it's a disaster. Hope it's only a dream.

Please let me know which DAW, what system and what the previous version of GR-8 you used to create the song.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've just compared, parameter IDs of the new version match all the previous versions. Phew!
OK the consistency in drum sounds was so good in the latest version that I just couldn’t go back to the old version so I spent the whole afternoon yesterday copy - pasting automation envelops and double checking that my sounds are OK.

Btw some sounds weren’t OK as after a certain channel all instances of the plug-in had the same sound and I can’t figure out what happened. Had to go back and reload my presets on these channels then resaved and all is good now. Only one patch gave me trouble but after some tweaking well I like the new version more than the old one.

My DAW in Reaper 6.36, OS is Windows 10 and the previous version of the plug in was the 1.0.7.

Saffran wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:33 am
I suggest it should be called "Octave" and have five settings -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.
Octave is standard for OSC level, but normally it's Transpose for the whole synth (in hardware anyway)

AnX wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:43 am
Saffran wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:33 am
Octave is standard for OSC level, but normally it's Transpose for the whole synth (in hardware anyway)
As usual i go a bit deeper. What sort of people are most likely to search for and use free synths?
I would say that it is beginners making music in their new daw.
To them octave should mean just that. One octave = 12 semitones.
Transpose probably would raise the question about how many semitones it is. Which means you'll have to show 49 settings instead of 5.
ADDED: Remember that this is only for a quick way to change octave. You already have the finetune in place.

Is it only for me, that the Filter Cutoff knob in 1.1.0 doesn't work?
All other knobs work, but Filter Cutoff always jumps back to 100 if I move the mouse down.

I will provide further info about my OS etc, in case it's only an issue on my machine.

Thanks Sasha for this wonderful GR-8, which I now really appreciate in this version with velocity support.

ZonderP wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:26 pm Is it only for me, that the Filter Cutoff knob in 1.1.0 doesn't work?
All other knobs work, but Filter Cutoff always jumps back to 100 if I move the mouse down.

I will provide further info about my OS etc, in case it's only an issue on my machine.

Thanks Sasha for this wonderful GR-8, which I now really appreciate in this version with velocity support.
Hi Zonder,

I assume that you've accidentally assigned some MIDI key or control to the Filter Cutoff. Right-click the Cutoff knob and select UnLearn. Hope that helps.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the plugin. :)

Cheers!

A question for all interested in the Octave control:

Shall it be saved within a preset or just within a song file?

Thanks!

I would say within a preset but maybe i first should ask the meaning of "song file" ?

Saffran wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:43 pm I would say within a preset but maybe i first should ask the meaning of "song file" ?
Means the control doesn't change as you're changing presets, but it gets saved when you save a song in a DAW - it doesn't return to the default state when you reopen the song.

Definitely in the preset - it can instantly turn a bass patch into a pluck. "Octave" or "Transpose" makes absolutely no difference to me, they tell any user the same thing. But the other one is labelled "TRANS", so maybe "OCTAVE" will work better for this one. Same with the range, +/- 2 or +/- 1 octave makes no difference to me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Preset it is then. :hug:

Thanks, guys!

Here's the updated plugin:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

Cheers!

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:08 am Thank you very much for listening and committing that much. This synth is quickly becoming a serious contender for these moments I just want something great sounding and very quick and easy to set and dial in what I want.

I still think you should improve the preset browser, however. It would be great to be able to create new user categories.

Finally, a suggestion: I think you should seriously consider releasing the FX tab from the GR-8 as an independent plugin. I bet it would become a VERY popular FX plugin.
Thank you!

The handling of preset categories in SynthEdit is set in stone. Many SynthEdit users have requested assignable categories and the creator of SynthEdit added the request to his TODO list. So there's a hope that one day we will be able to add that feature.

Thanks for the idea for the FX plugin!

Cheers,
Sasha

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”