Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:24 pm That's fine, but, if you set the plugin's latency to anything but 0, it won't report the correct CPU usage to the DAW.
It may not report correct, but at 0 also uses the most of cpu

Lbdunequest wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:36 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:24 pm That's fine, but, if you set the plugin's latency to anything but 0, it won't report the correct CPU usage to the DAW.
I think that was kind of the point he was making.

I tried it now setting latency to zero and in Logic overloading one core and getting clicks and crackles. However when having it on 1 (default latency setting) no clicks, crackles and pops and consumes almost no CPU.

So my question then is; is there any benefit sound-wise of setting the latency to 0 ?

Side note: I wish there was a way for us to make custom skins for this. The running skin is shown as a menu item, but no option to select or add a different skin.. unless the devs are planning on making alternate skins?

LFO8 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 pm

I tried it now setting latency to zero and in Logic overloading one core and getting clicks and crackles. However when having it on 1 (default latency setting) no clicks, crackles and pops and consumes almost no CPU.

So my question then is; is there any benefit sound-wise of setting the latency to 0 ?
No, it really just affects the latency.

But, as you can see when you set it to 0, it already is at the limit of what a single core on your computer can do. It's a really CPU heavy plugin. They did some things to improve performance, but, it's still quite a hog. Nice sound though. :)

SNOW sounds amazing. Very nice work indeed.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 pm
LFO8 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 pm

No, it really just affects the latency.

But, as you can see when you set it to 0, it already is at the limit of what a single core on your computer can do. It's a really CPU heavy plugin. They did some things to improve performance, but, it's still quite a hog. Nice sound though. :)
Ah I see. For me the standard setting at "1" is fine for playing and still plays very nice with my CPU :D

Sure. I don't think you'll notice any difference with it. If you still experience crackles, you can also change the ROM to the Snow ROM, which only uses a single DSP, and has less voices. Or, you can right-click somewhere in the GUI, and choose to underclock the DSP, which results in less voices as well, I think.

Does any one know how to edit the patch tags?

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:12 pm Sure. I don't think you'll notice any difference with it. If you still experience crackles, you can also change the ROM to the Snow ROM, which only uses a single DSP, and has less voices. Or, you can right-click somewhere in the GUI, and choose to underclock the DSP, which results in less voices as well, I think.
Thank you. On my system, using Snow saved about 2% and using DSP Clock 50% saved another 2%, with no apparent loss in sound quality. Latency made even less of a difference and I'm not seeing any benefits from setting it higher than 1.

LFO8 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 pm Side note: I wish there was a way for us to make custom skins for this. The running skin is shown as a menu item, but no option to select or add a different skin.. unless the devs are planning on making alternate skins?
there is
go to the discord
a few alternative skins are already there for download

you put them into a folder called "skins_OsTirus" next to the plugin

you add skins by right-clicking on the plugin and select one of skins in the "GUI Skin" directory of the contextual menu

hth

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:27 pm Yep, Supernova would be nice. :) 8 of those DSP chips though, so, I think you should have 8 cores at least... and, knowing that they already had some performance issues with only 2 DSPs (Virus TI), it's a bit questionable whether something like the Supernova would run on home PCs.
I know everyone's situation is different, but with the OsTirus, as a quick test I loaded up 8 instances of it (so 16 DSP's total) each running the same random patch using 8 voices. I'm on a Ryzen 9 5900x and saw about 50% usage across all 12 physical cores. For me, in my usage, anything I'd use OsTirus for this would be more than enough. I'm perfectly happy rendering/recording to audio as needed. Yes, not scientific at all and does nothing but prove that it works for me, in my use case.

I get it though and the SuperNova might not be realistic or possible. Then again, many (myself included) didn't think OsTirus would see light of day for one reason or another, but here we are. I'm simply hoping the same happens for at least one of the Novation synths.

muki wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:18 pm
LFO8 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 pm Side note: I wish there was a way for us to make custom skins for this. The running skin is shown as a menu item, but no option to select or add a different skin.. unless the devs are planning on making alternate skins?
there is
go to the discord
a few alternative skins are already there for download

you put them into a folder called "skins_OsTirus" next to the plugin

you add skins by right-clicking on the plugin and select one of skins in the "GUI Skin" directory of the contextual menu

hth
Oh that’s cool! I don’t have Discord though. I’d like to see a skin that’s close to the Access plugin for the TI series:
I like the oscillator section that uses the wheels and wave form window in the midle.

DEFINITELY leave the latency buffer set to “1”. Setting it to “0” just means it’s a lot more likely to generate buffer overloads, and you won’t get anywhere near the same instance count in your host (at least on Apple Silicon.) An Ultra seems to handle 28 OsTirus instances at full poly (or at least trying to ;) ) before overload, with a 75% system load. For comparison Osirus (C Rom) could do 43 instances, with a 16 note unison patch, before overload, with 85% system load.

Unfortunately, 1.3.10 of Osirus VST3 won’t open here, so had to revert to 1.3.6, which is a pity as .10 adds version A support. Likewise the latest Vavra’s .mid file support is broken here (Can’t browse any patches and will only generate syx)

sl1200mk2 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 pm I know everyone's situation is different, but with the OsTirus, as a quick test I loaded up 8 instances of it (so 16 DSP's total) each running the same random patch using 8 voices. I'm on a Ryzen 9 5900x and saw about 50% usage across all 12 physical cores. For me, in my usage, anything I'd use OsTirus for this would be more than enough.
Agreed. There are better synths for big chords and lush pads.

PAK wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:46 pm Likewise the latest Vavra’s .mid file support is broken here (Can’t browse any patches and will only generate syx)
Same for me.

LFO8 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm I like the oscillator section that uses the wheels and wave form window in the midle.
there is a dark theme called "darkstar" (sic) that has something alike
not the same but rather alike
checkout the discord...it's a cool one

Return to “Instruments”