Before I buy pluginguru Unify, some questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. Is there a way to set global default velocity curve so I don't have to tweak every patch?
2. Can I install the library on an external drive?
3. Are there any free plugins that do a similar job? :D For the Mac.

You may want to ask those questions here to get quicker answer:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=535636&start=1005

keyman_sam wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:30 pm 1. Is there a way to set global default velocity curve so I don't have to tweak every patch?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

Go buy it, it worth the money and really cool to play in standalone. :hyper:

It’s a lifesaver if you have AU plugins that don’t work with Mac M1 Silicon computers. Definitely worth getting just for that apart from all the other amazing features.

Well I bought it. I didn't get a purchase receipt with download instructions - just some instructions on the website on how to authorize. Thank god I copied the serial number or I wouldn't have known how to authorize the demo plugin.

I still don't know how to install the factory sound bank - the install procedure takes me to a dead link.

On top of it, I try to register to log-in and find my customer info - the login page is a Wordpress app that shows passwords in plain text. Are you kidding me? :?

Wow. That is definitely not how it should be. You should have received an email. I also just looked and my password is hidden on the website. I have purchased many items from PluginGuru over the years and have not run into problems.

The sound bank for Unify is a separate file with a .guru file extension. Once you login, you will have a Unify zip file listed in your account. It almost sounds like you are unable to get into your account. The .guru file is in this Zip file. Once you install the latest release (I think the Demo is a few releases behind), run Unify, then drag and drop the .guru file into Unify to install.

I'll try that but the confusing part is they ask you to install only the update file if you have the demo already installed. Well I do have the demo installed but it looks like I need the full file because Unify deleted the factory content while uninstalling the demo.

FWIW, I recognize these are growing pains for a new product. Just stating my frustration. Once the install issues are sorted, these will be bygones and I"ll be a happy customer sipping along.

I finally got it working..The instruction to only install the "update" if you have Unify already installed is misleading.

Anyways, I'm digging some of the patches. I really like the ability to layer instruments - a lot easier than working with logic's tracks.
However, the CPU usage is through the roof. I'm using AUs, could that be it? Is it only optimized for VSTs? While playing Unify and Logic is stopped, there's no issues. When Logic is playing, I get dropouts like crazy.

Mind you this is with one of their stock patches (some bells) with an added Omnisphere layer, that's it. And it's stuttering for that. I doubt if it's my Mac mini because that thing can handle a dozen more omnispheres without issues.

May 2010 Mac Pro 12-core 3GHz 32G macPOS 10.13 has no issues with patches with multiple layers of 3rd party poly's etc. I can hit the CPU limit but otherwise I am not blocked by CPU for most of the things I like to do with Guru. Just giving you another mac datapoint to consider.

keyman_sam wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:33 pm Well I bought it. I didn't get a purchase receipt with download instructions - just some instructions on the website on how to authorize. Thank god I copied the serial number or I wouldn't have known how to authorize the demo plugin.

I still don't know how to install the factory sound bank - the install procedure takes me to a dead link.

On top of it, I try to register to log-in and find my customer info - the login page is a Wordpress app that shows passwords in plain text. Are you kidding me? :?
Thank you for purchasing Unify. I'm sorry to hear that your experience wasn't great. Did you purchase direct from PlugInGuru.com, or from another site?
Last edited by getdunne on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keyman_sam wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:30 pm 1. Is there a way to set global default velocity curve so I don't have to tweak every patch?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes: https://kushview.net/element/ ($2 so not 100% free, but worth every penny, and can also be used with Unify.

keyman_sam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:03 pm ... they ask you to install only the update file if you have the demo already installed.
Where does it say that? The update (which updates the content, i.e., samples and patches) is for updating a previous full Unify install. Perhaps we (or did you see it on some other site?) need to update the instructions to clarify that.

keyman_sam wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:08 am However, the CPU usage is through the roof. I'm using AUs, could that be it? Is it only optimized for VSTs? While playing Unify and Logic is stopped, there's no issues. When Logic is playing, I get dropouts like crazy.
Issues like this are best discussed on our Forum (https://forums.pluginguru.com) where we can work back and forth.

Unify should work as well with AU plug-ins as any other type. Are you using a lot of automation in Logic? That could affect CPU usage.

Waiting for my registration confirmation email so I can post. I'll post detailed notes on your forum.

But before I forget:
1. Unify standalone keeps bugging me to delete the demo folder though I've said "yes" everytime
2. Global velocity curve is not taking precedence over the patch's volume curve. I need to modify every patch to a playable curve.
3. The "reverb baked into a patch" is a nice concept, except for when you pitch bend a note and all the preceding notes (the tails) get bent, so it's kind of useless for that. Better approach would have been to include a convolution reverb with those reverby patches. Having no control over them sucks.

That being said I enjoy the one-click approach to loading patches. Wish there was a "global mute" button so I can mute the standalone app. The standalone app is pretty useful for "instant inspirations", etc.

Return to “Instruments”