Nettle is now available for Windows. Scanned synthesis reaches further…

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A direct link to Nettle's KVR page can be found here. This Windows version is the same build as the one that’s been available for MacOS since its initial release. Sometime after DC21 comes to a close, a universal update will be released with some new features - some of those having been suggested by fellow KVRers!

Thanks so much to those who have tried out my instrument already. It means a lot.

Of course, please feel free to hit me up for any questions and feedback.

- fellusive

very excited by this - your demo is beautiful, do you have a bandcamp site?

Thanks for the Windows version :)

fairlyclose wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 pm very excited by this - your demo is beautiful, do you have a bandcamp site?
Thanks so much! I don't have a bandcamp, but I've been using Nettle a bit more recently and it's inspiring me to make some stuff, so at some point I might finally post some music online or something!

Excellent, thanks very much. :tu:

Nettle VST3i Windows is immediately automuting the track in Reaper (VST2 does work).
Also: the installer asks for the VST2 path, but I can't choose which format will be installed.

beingmf wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:53 pm Nettle VST3i Windows is immediately automuting the track in Reaper (VST2 does work).
Hmm for some reason I can't reproduce this issue on my machine, even if I play some notes. One quick fix could be turning off Automute in Options > Preferences > Audio > Mute/Solo, or maybe raising the Automute threshold. I'm not too sure what's causing this but I'll keep looking. Upon searching some stuff up online, other possible causes could be related to your audio device settings or latency amount, but I'm not sure.

Note taken about the installer. The directory chosen by the user is for the VST2, as there are multiple possible folders that VST2s can be stored in (but you probably already know that). The VST3 is automatically installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3. In the future I'll make sure to include a step in the installer that shows the user/allows the user to choose exactly what files are being installed.

loving Nettle - love the way the sound evolves. Hope you keep expanding scanned synthesis as a synthesis method.

I am getting no audio at all out of this thing on Big Sur. Tried the AU under HostingAU, and the VST under Bitwig and Ableton. I can see the MIDI going in. The meter is absolutely dead coming out.

I am on macOS 11.4. I'm assuming there is no VST3 for Mac?

reaper 6.30 64-bit here. windows 7.
no problem with the install.

had problem automating program changes though.
can other reaper users do that? is there another way?
i was able to automate program changes on WhispAir.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

teilo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:03 pm I am getting no audio at all out of this thing on Big Sur. Tried the AU under HostingAU, and the VST under Bitwig and Ableton. I can see the MIDI going in. The meter is absolutely dead coming out.

I am on macOS 11.4. I'm assuming there is no VST3 for Mac?
Hmm weird... I know this'll sound dumb but have you tried restarting your computer or reinstalling the plugin? Also, were there any permissions errors that popped up, prompting you to "Open Anyway" in System Preferences > Security & Privacy?

Also, you're correct about there not being a VST3 version for Mac at the moment. The framework I used to develop Nettle has had some weird issues with VST3 exports so I'm waiting for that to get fixed before I distribute VST3 versions for MacOS.
harryupbabble wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:51 pm had problem automating program changes though.
can other reaper users do that? is there another way?
I totally overlooked the use of program change messages, so this is more than likely a mistake on my end. Thanks for bringing this up though - I'll look into getting those to work properly.

I'm unable to get sound out of it. MIDI is going in but nothing comes out! Windows 10, vst2. I'll check again with the vst3. Love scanned synthesis as a method. If you can, the visualizations for scanned synthesis are really useful beside pretty!
my experimental improv duo, rreplay.
more of my music
occasional experimental sound blog all things vst, guitar synth, and more.
The Digital Guitarist.

rcrath wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:22 am I'm unable to get sound out of it. MIDI is going in but nothing comes out!
This may be some kind of security issue that arises when installing via the installer (whether it's .exe or .pkg for Windows or Mac respectively). Strangely enough it seems to be rather rare and inconsistent... user "teilo" reported the same issue earlier as well, except on Mac. He was able to extract the installer contents and install the files manually - and while I can also provide an option to install the plugin files manually, doing that on Windows would be unnecessarily tedious. I'm a bit puzzled since users with the same OS as you two have been able to successfully install and use the plugin, but I'll keep looking into this.

As for the idea of a waveform display, I had been toying around with the implementation of one in the earlier stages of development but I decided to scrap it (as cool as it looked) due to CPU usage. I think visualizers are super cool though so I'll be experimenting with the concept more in the future, whether it's in Nettle or anything else I make c:

Brilliant! Thanks & good luck! :tu:

For those who wish to install this manually on Mac, here's the procedure. If you are re-installing, first delete the existing Nettle.component and Nettle.vst in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and VST.

Open Terminal, and navigate to that folder where you have the installer.

From there:

Code: Select all

pkgutil --expand-full Nettle.pkg NettleInstaller
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine NettleInstaller
sudo mv NettleInstaller/AU.pkg/Payload/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Nettle.component /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
sudo mv NettleInstaller/VST.pkg/Payload/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Nettle.vst /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/
killall -9 AudioComponentRegistrar
What this does: Expands the package and any payloads within the package, to the NettleInstaller directory (which must not exist before running this command). Removes any quarantine flags to get around Gatekeeper in Big Sur and Catalina. Copies the AU and VST from the expanded package into the appropriate directories. Restarts the AU registrar so the AU will show in your DAW without a reboot.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”