Semi note change for no reason

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

this is a problem that occurs sometimes. Not too often, but it happens and it is quite annoying. I don't think I have mentioned it before:

When I reopened a REAPER project, where the classic ZynAddSubFx is one of the plugins, one of the parts – part number three – had suddenly all by itself changed key. I think it was one semi note too high or too low, I didn't bother to listen too carefully, but when it happened the last time it was one semi note too high (or too low). The strange thing is that the other parts (ten parts; multi mode) weren't affected.

The problem, in this case, was easy to solve: just clear that part and reload. So maybe that's how I will handle it. But it's a little bit annoying, really, when you're not prepared. You open the project you worked with last night, and suddenly it sounds as if a maniac has done the job.

Now, of course this isn't criticism against the developers, who have created great software. I just thought that you might want to know. (And maybe there is a solution?)

Cheers
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

Interesting. I haven't heard of a similar bug report before, so I'm guessing this might be some MIDI binding specific to the jackoo version?
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

fundamental wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:35 pm I'm guessing this might be some MIDI binding specific to the jackoo version?
Well, I have been using the .521 beta version for half a year or so, now. But the last time I had this problem - I think it probably was two years ago (but I'm only guessing). What version I had then, I don't know. But it wasn't .521 beta.

Hi,
I might try to have a look in the weekend.
Do you have anything that might help me to reproduce the issue?

1. If a part is not in key, and you save the project, the next time you open the project will it still be out of key?
2. How often does this happen? Do you know a way to easily reproduce it?
3. If you see this issue, then just save the whole zyn state file (without reloading the part), and then reloading this state file does it still happen?
4. Is reaper sending pitch bend signals at startup? (in the last modification, I might have limited the number of pitch bend signals that can be processed within a short time period... if this is the issue, I can fix it...)
5. If you see the issue, but instead of reloading the part out of key you just move the pitch bend, does it solve it? (you somehow have to move the pitch bend and sent the PB signal to the channel that the troubling part is receiving...)

So my first idea would be to see if the issue is "pitch bend" related. But it's strange...

I anyhow can update /remove that limitation in an update.
I introduced that when I created my smoothing of the pitch bend signals... (for instance if the pitch bend is not continuous, and jumps, then intermediary points are being artificially introduced so that the pitch does not jump over a period of 50ms or so...). There are MIDI controllers which don't send the pitch bend state very often, and if you move it very fast, zyn receives a jump in the pitch data.

I know that PB, and also all CC are "continuous controllers" so if you receive messages that they jump from one value to the other, the synth should react by creating a smooth continuous transition. When I implemented this transition I limited the number of MIDI messages to 300. This could be a very poor design choice from my side :( :P :help: sorry for that

Thanks for the feedback.

PS: Also an explanation of all the options in the cfg file is is well overdue :D
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

Hi jackoo!

The strange thing is that when I reopened the project this morning, the bellpad was not out of tune. And if it doesn't happen again in the nearest future, it will be very hard for me to hand over more information of any kind. But if it happens, then of course I will try to follow your instructions.

As I remember it, the last time this strange behavior occurred, then the same thing happened over and over again. I don't remember any longer if I replaced that instrument with another plugin, or what I did.

It does not happen often (but I had expected that I would not get rid of the problem as long as I'm working with this particular song/project). I don't have any idea how I could reproduce it.

I don't know if REAPER is sending pitch bend signals at startup (and I don't know how to find out if it does).

If you don't hear anything from me for a while, it simply means that the bug (if it's the right word) disappeared as quickly as it came.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”