Any news on the Cubase dongle divorce?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New products (ex: Cubase 11.5) will be the new auth system only and will not use e-licencer.
Old products will also benefit from the new system but e-licenser won't be abandoned for some time but eventually it will.

Chapelle wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:31 pm
elxsound wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:28 pm I thought so, but Jan’s bold text I’m hoping makes it more clear.

I hope.
I think "existing licensing models" isn't referring to the copy protection method at all.

The way I read it, I think it just means that they will continue to sell perpetual licenses, and not switch to a subscription-based licensing model.

But I'm probably wrong. English is not my native language.
There will not be any changes is not an equivocating statement. Whether or not one can determine its truth is another question. The writer of that sentence may well mean 'not moving to a subscription model' and this a translation to English from German, I don't know.
Copy protection is licensing, the model so far has been a USB key and elicenser.

My totally cynical suspicion: the dongle will remain an option for perpetual licenses, and the new system will be for folks who want to subscribe.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:42 am My totally cynical suspicion: the dongle will remain an option for perpetual licenses, and the new system will be for folks who want to subscribe.
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 09.43.35.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

They just created a subscription model for Dorico on iOS though. Different product, but it's clearly not a company wide policy.

Cubase would be the only product where I’d consider a subscription, if the price was right. That is, not some insane 19.99 per month and to make it seem justified, you get some stupid presets or useless sound packs, but for the price of the yearly update in a sale. Say 5-6 bucks a month, and maybe 3-4 smaller feature updates per year.

fese wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:41 pm Cubase would be the only product where I’d consider a subscription, if the price was right. That is, not some insane 19.99 per month and to make it seem justified, you get some stupid presets or useless sound packs, but for the price of the yearly update in a sale. Say 5-6 bucks a month, and maybe 3-4 smaller feature updates per year.
Actually, it pretty much does have an annual subscription, I just paid mine. But its pretty reasonable in the May sale.

fese wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:41 pm Cubase would be the only product where I’d consider a subscription, if the price was right. That is, not some insane 19.99 per month and to make it seem justified, you get some stupid presets or useless sound packs, but for the price of the yearly update in a sale. Say 5-6 bucks a month, and maybe 3-4 smaller feature updates per year.
$5-6/mo. For Cubase Pro?

Lol. Even dreams can be unreasonable, I see.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

dellboy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:36 pm
Actually, it pretty much does have an annual subscription, I just paid mine. But its pretty reasonable in the May sale.
It just has a yearly update cycle. Not the same. They're cheap, though, so I don't mind. If they updated every 2 years it would only be $160, which is roughly comparable to the upgrade price of Studio One and still cheaper than something like Digital Performer.

Pricing is not an issue for Cubase. The Dongle and how it limits the way you use the DAW has always been a bigger issue.

Cubase has some of the better cross grade discounts, as well.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 pm
$5-6/mo. For Cubase Pro?

Has nothing to do with dreams.
I paid €60 for the yearly update from 10.5 to 11 in the summer sale. Divide that by 12 and you get €5/month. Even with the full price it’s ~8 bucks per month. Why would I want to pay more?

But yeah, realistically, if they ever went subscription, it’d probably be more like 15-20/month, and to make up for the overpriced fee, you’d get some useless presets and sound packs every month, most of which you’d never use, or some tutorial videos by some guy you’ve never heard of…
In the end I am fine with the current system, every autumn i can decide if the update is worth the price for me, or if I wait for a sale..
I also have no problem with the dongle at all, because i don’t use notebooks.

fese wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:49 pm
Trensharo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 pm
$5-6/mo. For Cubase Pro?

Has nothing to do with dreams.
I paid €60 for the yearly update from 10.5 to 11 in the summer sale. Divide that by 12 and you get €5/month. Even with the full price it’s ~8 bucks per month. Why would I want to pay more?

But yeah, realistically, if they ever went subscription, it’d probably be more like 15-20/month, and to make up for the overpriced fee, you’d get some useless presets and sound packs every month, most of which you’d never use, or some tutorial videos by some guy you’ve never heard of…
In the end I am fine with the current system, every autumn i can decide if the update is worth the price for me, or if I wait for a sale..
I also have no problem with the dongle at all, because i don’t use notebooks.
You're being intellectually dishonest. Cubase Pro is $500+ up front, you don't start paying for upgrades and updates until you actually buy the software.

Additionally, you'll be waiting for seasonal sales forever just to snag a lower upgrade cost, and you aren't even guaranteed to get it at that price. The upgrades and updates are cheap enough. They can easily just stop putting it on discount. What then?

You pay what you want. There are $0 DAWs that are actually really good, these days. No one has to pay for a DAW. If the price is too high, then simply find something else to use. It's not really worth arguing over, but expecting a $5/mo. subscription for Cubase Pro and trying to concoct some weird math to back it up... No.

Trensharo wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:48 am
You're being intellectually dishonest.
No I’m not. And you’re being unnecessarily rude.
Cubase Pro is $500+ up front, you don't start paying for upgrades and updates until you actually buy the software.
I “own” Cubase since 2003 or so. I would be very unhappy if I had to pay the same subscription fee as someone who just starts using it. Call it loyal customer discount, if you want :wink:
Additionally, you'll be waiting for seasonal sales forever just to snag a lower upgrade cost, and you aren't even guaranteed to get it at that price. The upgrades and updates are cheap enough. They can easily just stop putting it on discount. What then?
Then I’d pay the regular price. Or not, depending on the perceived value for me. Have done so in the past. No problem there, but if i can get it cheaper, why not?
You pay what you want. There are $0 DAWs that are actually really good, these days. No one has to pay for a DAW. If the price is too high, then simply find something else to use. It's not really worth arguing over, but expecting a $5/mo. subscription for Cubase Pro and trying to concoct some weird math to back it up... No.
It’s actually rather simple math, nothing weird. And I’m not the one who started arguing about it, i just wrote what I as a long term cubase user would consider paying for a subscription. Totally subjective, sure, and I don’t expect it to become reality. Why do you feel the need to become all aggressive and insulting about it? Lighten up, don’t take it too seriously, it’s just a forum :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:42 am My totally cynical suspicion: the dongle will remain an option for perpetual licenses, and the new system will be for folks who want to subscribe.
I'll be OK with that :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Cubase's annual update policy is pretty much a yearly subscription model. If you don't update and remain a version behind then support isn't guaranteed.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

TBH I'm upset they took dongle protection off Nexus, now all the pirateboys have my exclusive software, I wish they'd keep dongle protection on Cubase atleast, once it's off it's gunna become the most pirated daw then I won't feel special anymore for owning it

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”