Know how to build zynaddsubfx on a Raspberry Pi?

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Following the instructions on the github wiki page (zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusion-build/wiki/Building-on-Linux) leads to errors when building on an RPi3B+, but to be fair, that page states the target system is a different platform, and that the page could have errors. (I am avoiding links due to posting rules, please search on the terms to locate web pages.)

If you have any experience building zynaddsubfx on any version of Raspberry Pi it would be awesome if you would kindly share your experience.

Floyd Steinberg (ZYNADDSUBFX on Raspberry PI Linux - open source synthesiser) has a cool youtube video showing building on an RPi400. In the description are links to the wiki where he got the instruction list. He shows running the instruction list without errors, but when I run those instructions there is no build-linux.rb in the folder zyn-fusion-build.

So I tried using build-rpi3.rb instead of build-linux.rb, but that led to a make error.

Things seemed to be going OK after I made a little substitution.
pi@raspberrypi:~/zyn-fusion-build $ ruby build-linux.rb
Traceback (most recent call last):
ruby: No such file or directory -- build-linux.rb (LoadError)
pi@raspberrypi:~/zyn-fusion-build $ ls
build-rpi3.rb docker-builders Makefile.mingw64.mk README.md
Common.mk Install-deps.mk Makefile.windows.mk z
COPYING linux-system-testers mingw64
docker Makefile.linux.mk no-net-build
pi@raspberrypi:~/zyn-fusion-build $ ruby build-rpi3.rb

Then the build quickly failed
ruby rebuild-fcache.rb
length(IR) = 208
Total time is 2278.082733 ms
make setup
make: *** No rule to make target 'setup'. Stop.
ERROR: 'make setup' failed
pi@raspberrypi:~/zyn-fusion-build

I would not mind buying a different RPi if the RPi3B+ is not supported, but I don't really want the form factor of an RPI400.

Anybody have any experience building on a Raspberry Pi?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I'm doing a headless pi-synth with zyn. I managed to build on both raspi 3B+ and 4 by following this blog entry (https://lucidbeaming.com/blog/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-3-to-run-zynaddsubfx-in-a-headless-configuration/) from lucidbeaming's blog. there are a couple of tweaks necessary as certain optimizations are not supported on ARM processors (zyn will crash).
Launching zynaddsubfx with ssh -x brings up the old 2.x interface and not zyn-fusion, however. Not sure if it is compatibility or anything else, but it's a start.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”