VCV Rack 2

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dayjob wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pm currently the AU crashes Live/Logic. Had to force scan of the plug in in Logic and when instantiated it throws and error and i have to quit. so, currently for me on apple silicon/monterey 12.6 it only works stand alone or in Bitwig. it is unavailable/crashes latest version of Logic and Live
What Live Version?

AU crashes Live 10 one time, but currently not Live 11. I'm also on Monterey 12.6.1. In general it would make sense to me, to use VST3 plugin in Live....

Rastkovic wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 pm
dayjob wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pm currently the AU crashes Live/Logic. Had to force scan of the plug in in Logic and when instantiated it throws and error and i have to quit. so, currently for me on apple silicon/monterey 12.6 it only works stand alone or in Bitwig. it is unavailable/crashes latest version of Logic and Live
What Live Version?

AU crashes Live 10 one time, but currently not Live 11. I'm also on Monterey 12.6.1. Basically it would make sense to me, to use VST3 plugin in Live....
my mistake. it won't work on ARM computers unless you run your DAW in rosetta. i thought in logic it would work via that translator app that allows non-native plug ins to work in Logic when running it natively.

it works fine in bitwig because of the sandboxing or whatever.. but it won't work in live or logic when running in native mode.. so, i guess i'll just stick to bitwig and standalone when i want to use VCV rack.

xbow wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:04 pm
andy-cytomic wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:02 am
SiliconDeath wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:45 pm Does VCV Rack 2 have Poly Unison? How is the CPU usage in Poly Unison mode compared to VM? I'm noticing in Voltage Modular (in conjunction of Polyphonic Unison module), that CPU usage is very high with more than 9 voices selected (also depends what other modules are in use).
VCV Rack 2 supports polyphony up to 16 voices. From what I can see there is no unison mode, if you want unison it looks like you have to copy and paste the modules you want to be in unison - but if anyone here knows of some other method then please post.
You can use polyphony to get unison, where every polyphonic voice is just slightly detuned from the others. Bogaudio's Unison module creates multiple detuned voices from a monophonic voice, as documented here.
do you know if its possible to use polyphony for chords and unison at the same time?

BogAudio unison takes a mono pitch signal and creates voices in unison but it doesnt take poly cables as input to add unison to chords. I'm trying to find a workaround, such as using a midi splitter to separate the different chord notes to make them mono, then sending each of the notes to a BogAudio unison to make unison voices for each chord note. Then using a midi merge to turn it back into 1 poly cable with chord voices and unison voices.

It hasn't worked so far. I think if you make 3 unison voices with BogAudio they go to midi channels 1, 2 and 3. So as I'm using multiple BogAudios, 1 for each chord note, I think the midi channels might need rerouting as all voices are going to channels 1, 2 and 3 (I think). Some notes disappeared and some of the unison modules were not active. I tried using a 'roly pouter' module to reroute the midi channels and spread them out over the 16 different midi channels. This seems to work, the notes were still there and the unison modules were all active, but for some reason the voices were all completely out of tune even with no detuning. This might be something to do with the module itself.

It might also be possible to make your own unison by taking the 1v/oct input, multiplying it and offsetting it, which could be the solution, other than just duplicating the oscillators themselves

j wazza wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:06 pm do you know if its possible to use polyphony for chords and unison at the same time?

... I'm trying to find a workaround, such as using a midi splitter to separate the different chord notes to make them mono, then sending each of the notes to a BogAudio unison to make unison voices for each chord note. Then using a midi merge to turn it back into 1 poly cable with chord voices and unison voices ...
Interesting question! I don't really understand what you write about the different (midi?) channels. But the challenge seems to be merging multiple polyphonic cables together into an even thicker one. The merge module seems to only work with mono cables (not quite sure). So what about splitting each unison voice into mono cables and then merging them all back into a new poly cable? See the screenshot, this worked for 4 polyphonic voices with 4x unison each.

Too bad it's only in mono :D
2023-05-18 22_03_35-VCV Rack Pro 2.2.2 - _Poly Unison.vcv.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I think the Bogaudio Unison module does Polyphonic unison on its own, it says it’s polyphonic. Maybe there’s a right click menu option?

Edit: ah ok, the manual is clearer. Just mono in unfortunately does mean you’re stuck with the usual merging and splitting fun.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

xbow wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:13 pm Interesting question! I don't really understand what you write about the different (midi?) channels. But the challenge seems to be merging multiple polyphonic cables together into an even thicker one. The merge module seems to only work with mono cables (not quite sure). So what about splitting each unison voice into mono cables and then merging them all back into a new poly cable? See the screenshot, this worked for 4 polyphonic voices with 4x unison each.

Too bad it's only in mono :D
Thanks a lot, got it working with that setup! I tried that way before but must have made a mistake.

Now I'm thinking about how to modulate each voice separately. I think you could use this same poly 1v/oct signal as a modulator, or use keytracking, or a random poly lfo.

Ideally I'd like a way to modulate the unison voices separately from the chord voices. Eg to modulate a filter and spread out the modulation for the unison voices. Is there something like a voice number modulator? I'm thinking similar to the unison modulators in dune, falcon or bitwig's grid.

I'm not sure what you mean its in mono? its polyphonic

j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:06 am
Now I'm thinking about how to modulate each voice separately. I think you could use this same poly 1v/oct signal as a modulator, or use keytracking, or a random poly lfo.

Ideally I'd like a way to modulate the unison voices separately from the chord voices. Eg to modulate a filter and spread out the modulation for the unison voices. Is there something like a voice number modulator? I'm thinking similar to the unison modulators in dune, falcon or bitwig's grid.

I mean it's not stereo. Probably you could use a mixer to pan the voices but that's a lot of patching again.

xbow wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:29 am
j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:06 am

I mean it's not stereo. Probably you could use a mixer to pan the voices but that's a lot of patching again.
Stereo stuff works a bit weirdly in vcv. You could use the poly 1v/oct signal to modulate a poly pan module to pan each voice differently.

The problem with this way is it is basically keytracking modulation, using pitch as a modulator, with big modulation differences between the chord notes, but really small modulation differences between the unison voices that are only slightly detuned.

I'm thinking it's possible to change the modulation amounts for the unison voices with split/merge grabbing the correct channels and maybe using multiples to use the same unison modulation for each chord note. Eg the 1st note has 3 unison voices, the other notes have the same voices multiplied. Then using this poly signal as a modulator.

You also could use a poly random lfo (set to zero or a slow frequency) to modulate a pan module instead

I've tried a few different ways to add slight differences to each voice and think the easiest is the goly penerator module by computerscare, it outputs a constant for each voice and lets you control the spread. This changes the chord notes as well as unison voices by similar amounts. It should also be possible to patch it so that it only affects unison voices. For panning you probably dont want some notes being panned wide, you probably want the 1st voice from each note to be in the middle and just spread out the unison voices.

Is this any good? Description suggests it may be useful for generating pitch drift though I don’t see any mention of if it can handle polyphony.
https://library.vcvrack.com/LifeFormModular/Driftgen

Are you safe?

That looks useful, you might have to use split/merge and duplicate it to make it poly. I think drift modules are basically smooth random lfos, but I can't find a poly one of those either. Found lots of poly random generators without smoothing though, and maybe you could use a slew module to smooth it.

edit: I think the surge lfo is poly and has a smooth noise shape. Maybe vult caudal could be used for this too.

Just noticed that Synthesis Technology have released four premium modules, available either individually at $15 each or all four bundled for $39.
https://vcvrack.com/SynthesisTechnology

Been intrigued by the hardware modules I’ve seen pop up on Reverb used usually for over £300 each so could be a decent way to check them out.

Are you safe?

People are complaining about the noise in the Prophet filter from ST

Korg Supporter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:03 pm People are complaining about the noise in the Prophet filter from ST
I read a comment (if it’s about this issue in particular) saying it’s when people apply FM and goes away if they run VCV at 96kHz rather than 48kHz so I’m assuming there will be a fix out soon because the DSP people are probably used to coding against a set engine resolution rather than a variable one. They normally just need to use a ratio and apply a small bit of slew to avoid aliasing.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:02 pm Just noticed that Synthesis Technology have released four premium modules, available either individually at $15 each or all four bundled for $39.
https://vcvrack.com/SynthesisTechnology

Been intrigued by the hardware modules I’ve seen pop up on Reverb used usually for over £300 each so could be a decent way to check them out.
I really wish there was a way to demo 3rd party modules.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Modular Synthesis”