About CLAP

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AirwindowsClap.zip(1.1M) (also on my Mediafire)

On January 24th, 2022, in a KVR forum, I stated the following: "By 2023, every Airwindows plugin will be available as CLAP natively in Linux, Windows and Mac Intel and native M1."

The Kalevala (in my grandmother's translation) says, "Only I am left to sing these tales learned from riddles, snatched from the wayside, broken from the heather, torn from bushes, drawn from the waters, rubbed from blades of grass" and it may literally be true, now or tomorrow or in this next year. And I may sing the tales, and they'll be riddles and they'll be lies and they'll be true, especially the ones that are lies. I've already begun and I will share this singing, that being all that is left of me now, as soon as I can stand to do so.

And here's a lie: I did not keep my word above. I don't have Linux, or Windows, and am not sure if I have both Intel and M1 Mac.

But much like in Finnish folklore, in my travels I met someone, going by 'BaconPaul', and it so happened that I could gift him something in the way of open source plugin code. And he and his friends used it in their Surge Synthesizer project.

And then, just casually, Paul sorta whipped up a port of my stuff to a new plugin format. For fun. Because he was 'the-man-who-writes-new-synthesizers-and-things', and what was impossible for me was light work for him (like in Finnish folklore). And so he weaved a Terminal spell of cmake and compile, and his magic spit out a 3.4 meg file (1.1M, zipped), and it was plugins… in CLAP format.

Which plugin? ALL OF THEM.

This is for you, those of you who can use it, for now. I think I can make it include new plugins as they come out. I don't know if I can run it on Windows and Linux as my machines for doing those builds are air-gapped and don't get internet access, but I might end up able to cover those bases as well. Or, I can direct you to the project and someone out there can attempt to make and share their own Windows and Linux builds for now. If it doesn't work for you, I can get back to Paul and I'm sure it can be fixed. I don't know how he did what he did but I can share it…

Thank you! 😎👍🏼
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

jinxtigr wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:34 am AirwindowsClap.zip(1.1M) (also on my Mediafire)
And here's a lie: I did not keep my word above. I don't have Linux, or Windows, and am not sure if I have both Intel and M1 Mac.
Chris,

So, this is actually an Apple Silicon-only build. No Intel. But they do appear to be working.

Not sure if this is realistic, but since many u-he plugins already have NKS mappings: Would it be a future possibility to also expose these kind of macro / control mappings standardized via CLAP?

So when e.g. using Bitwig you can automatically get your Device Pages from the CLAP plugin when the preset loads. That would be really great. I do have a Komplete keyboard, but somehow I just don't get around with their Komplete Kontrol software and would prefer not needing such an intermediary. Also when I switch presets within an u-he plugin, the new control mappings are not updated.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:14 am Not sure if this is realistic, but since many u-he plugins already have NKS mappings: Would it be a future possibility to also expose these kind of macro / control mappings standardized via CLAP?

So when e.g. using Bitwig you can automatically get your Device Pages from the CLAP plugin when the preset loads. That would be really great. I do have a Komplete keyboard, but somehow I just don't get around with their Komplete Kontrol software and would prefer not needing such an intermediary. Also when I switch presets within an u-he plugin, the new control mappings are not updated.
That's what the remote controls extension is for. It's still in draft, but it will allow the plugin to expose grouped pages of 8 parameters.

robbert-vdh wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:01 pm
Fannon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:14 am Not sure if this is realistic, but since many u-he plugins already have NKS mappings: Would it be a future possibility to also expose these kind of macro / control mappings standardized via CLAP?

That's what the remote controls extension is for. It's still in draft, but it will allow the plugin to expose grouped pages of 8 parameters.
Thanks! That's great to hear that this is on its way. The proposal looks simple and straightforward. If this comes, Bitwig should then probably add support for named sections and NI should adopt CLAP :)
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Here is an Airwindows CLAP universal binary build for Mac.

This represents the current state of the Airwindows Github respository as of 12-Jan-2023.

Unzip it. Dequarantine:

Code: Select all

xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine Airwindows.clap
... and move to your CLAP plugin folder

This should work on Intel and Arm.

Fannon wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:28 am
robbert-vdh wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:01 pm

Thanks! That's great to hear that this is on its way. The proposal looks simple and straightforward. If this comes, Bitwig should then probably add support for named sections and NI should adopt CLAP :)
Just a speculation (but KVR is the perfect place for rumours like this :P) ...
The list of contributors for CLAP also contains Vadim Zavalishin:
https://github.com/free-audio/clap/blob ... ibutors.md
He is this guy: https://youtu.be/e61n8qZAOBU
Maybe this raises the chance for NI secretly developing CLAP support? :hyper:

+ I think I somewhere read that the Maschine+ Firmware is Linux-based (correct me if I'm wrong!) ...
So if NI is into CLAP, Linux CLAP plugins might be a cool opportunity for NI to get third party plugins running on Maschine+. They could offer Maschine+-specific extensions (e g. for snapshots) and if a plugin supports them and fulfills all criteria (correct number of audio-/note ports, correct note format, all necessary extensions supported) it could be installed on the hardware. Just imagine the possibilities!

Just imagine NI being innovative again!
Hell freezing over and all that... ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Hoping maybe BaconPaul or someone very familiar with CLAP from a dev perspective can jump in on this issue. Not sure where else to post to ask but...

How does CLAP handle stepped parameters when it comes to DAW/plugin control from a relative encoder? Here's my issue: I use the Reaper CSI Extension for FX control. If I use a CLAP plugin with stepped parameters [in this case Audiority Space Station UM282 but happens with others] and assign that to an encoder, the plugin parameters don't move at all as I turn the encoder. The VST2 version of the same plugin behaves the same.

But in a rare instance of VST3 doing something "better", if I load the VST3 version of the same plugin and map to an encoder, turning the encoder moves through the steps as expected without issue. It's like the VST3 format itself considered the existance of relative encoders and how they should impact stepped params.

Is there anything that can be improved on the CLAP side to get this work more like VST3 out of the box? I really don't want to "favor" VST3 plugins in Reaper, but for my particular use-case, they just work as expected out of the box and CLAP doesn't unfortunately.

Or maybe JUCE or whatever framework has something built-in to address this in VST3 that doesn't exist in the CLAP extension? No idea how any of that stuff works.

In Bitwig, u-he CLAP plugins work better than VST3/2 for stepped parameters.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:50 pm In Bitwig, u-he CLAP plugins work better than VST3/2 for stepped parameters.
Are you using relative encoders? I’m honestly not sure if it’s the plug-in format itself, the development framework, something missing from the DAW implementation, etc.

I think that would be a question about host implementation.

If you MIDI Learn any parameter in our own plug-ins you can specify one of two types of relative encoders, and it should just work.

I'll be happy to report this to the Reaper developers. Is there a particular extension or something I should be pointing them to? I just checked again using Audiority's Space Station plugin. I can modify the "Program" parameter with the VST2 and VST3 versions and Reaper's built-in MIDI learn system, but the CLAP version doesn't cycle between the various parameter steps as expected when being controlled by a relative encoder.

Return to “u-he”