Pigments 3.5 vs Dune 3.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

pierb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:26 pm Both have their own tricks and peculiarities but basically:

Dune sounds great but has terrible GUI.

Pigments sound meh but has a great GUI.

No surprise that Pigments is more popular.
Pigments neither sounds meh nor has a great GUI.
Dune has a fine GUI, very far from terrible.
It's a surprise that Pigments is more popular, cause probably it's not.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:39 pm It's a surprise that Pigments is more popular, cause probably it's not.
Just look at the number of new libraries released for Pigments which is only 3 years old. Or Youtube videos, or Google trends. Pigments is all over the place.

I don't like Pigments myself and I think Dune is a far better synth DSP wise but I'm pretty sure most people prefer Pigments because of the GUI and ease of use. I mean, the sequencer in Dune or the mod matrix are abysmal in comparison. The preset browser has been improved recently but it's still nowhere nearly as polished as the one in Pigments or PhasePlant.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:35 am Look at freeware poly synths before deciding. https://u-he.com/products/zebralette/
THIS looks like a clever suggestion ..!

P.S. :P :P :P :P :P :P

SamDi wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:37 pm
carrieres wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:02 pm
Chipi wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:41 pm Pigments is a piece of crap if you compare the sound it has against the sweetness of Dune's sound, unparalleled. Pigments sounds cold and digital, Dune sounds fat, creamy and analog, however Dune lacks other syntheses to be considered and accepted massively, it should have an exclusive drum kit module and some more generic sounds like guitars, pianos, brasses and choirs.
Did you listen to these presets Hey! That’s What We Call Bass from Luftrum ?
Or this one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1Q0H8qRoI&t=646s

Pigments is killer, if you know how to use it!
What I find interesting, wether it's Pigments or Phase Plant, the to me good-sounding sounds in the demos or presets are always use the sample/granular engine. For wavetable or classic subtractive sounds I would still prefer one of my trusty workhorses.

Don't get me wrong, Pigments and Phase Plant are not bad synths at all. It's probably a matter of taste....

pierb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:09 pm
Dencheg wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:39 pm It's a surprise that Pigments is more popular, cause probably it's not.
Just look at the number of new libraries released for Pigments which is only 3 years old. Or Youtube videos, or Google trends. Pigments is all over the place.

I don't like Pigments myself and I think Dune is a far better synth DSP wise but I'm pretty sure most people prefer Pigments because of the GUI and ease of use. I mean, the sequencer in Dune or the mod matrix are abysmal in comparison. The preset browser has been improved recently but it's still nowhere nearly as polished as the one in Pigments or PhasePlant.
Let's say, regardles of the number of libraries, Dune is far more used for film scoring.
Perhaps there is a reason for that.
I don't know if I can find a similar comparison in the music production field, but for movies I'm 99% sure that Dune's got the upper hand.

And yes, I checked the new browser, it's fine. You're making an accent at the part of a synth which the listener won't hear
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

I have Pigments and I've just been demoing Dune. Both sound great and Dune has some interesting and powerful features like individual voice control. That said, modulation in Dune only implements unipolar mode, no bipolar (I mean... really?) and the filter envelope cannot be inverted which is a necessity when using the HPF. I need to shoot Synapse a email and request these features.

Scoox wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:01 am I have Pigments and I've just been demoing Dune. Both sound great and Dune has some interesting and powerful features like individual voice control. That said, modulation in Dune only implements unipolar mode, no bipolar (I mean... really?) and the filter envelope cannot be inverted which is a necessity when using the HPF. I need to shoot Synapse a email and request these features.
Read last post

https://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtop ... =5&t=13543

Scoox wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:01 am I have Pigments and I've just been demoing Dune. Both sound great and Dune has some interesting and powerful features like individual voice control. That said, modulation in Dune only implements unipolar mode, no bipolar (I mean... really?) and the filter envelope cannot be inverted which is a necessity when using the HPF. I need to shoot Synapse a email and request these features.
Just use MSEGs and/or negative values in the matrix, really

Scoox wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:01 am the filter envelope cannot be inverted which is a necessity when using the HPF.
There is no traditional inversion switch but we can apply a negative value:

D3 030524-2.png

The advantage here is that we can have different values per Voice Layer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

pierb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:26 pm Both have their own tricks and peculiarities but basically:

Dune sounds great but has terrible GUI.

Pigments sound meh but has a great GUI.

No surprise that Pigments is more popular.
We are talking about Arturia with a powerfull marketing, a toon of product and many influencer.
Dune is from Synapse Audio a little dev with few products on a big market.

pierb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:26 pm No surprise that Pigments is more popular.
what are your sources for this statement or is this just your opinion?

just asking, because i put pigments up on the 'sell & buy' forum here, and... no takers (which, as with your own post, proves nothing)...

fisherKing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:45 pm
pierb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:26 pm No surprise that Pigments is more popular.

just asking, because i put pigments up on the 'sell & buy' forum here, and... no takers (which, as with your own post, proves nothing)...
Feedback thread shows "domtak" bought it from you? ...

But you're right IMO for not really proving anything like popularity.
I'd say reselling either has more to do with whether one becomes NFR on secondhand purchase. That alone would make Dune less "popular".
It certainly is the defining aspect which has kept me from Dune (1,2,or3)
Regardless of that, subjectivity of individual synth character seems closer to the bottom line and I'm not really sure how that can be quantified in terms of popularity.

Personal subjectiveness for me is that Pigments has more character to my liking. And if someday I decide I like something better to replace it, I can do so easily knowing the buyer can do the same.

pierb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:09 pm

It's pretty clear to me that you're listening with your eyes and not your ears, or picking the one that has the presets that you like more. I own both of these and have compared them and used both of them a lot. They are on equal caliber in terms of sound quality, and by that I mean they are both excellent. That doesn't mean they are equal in all things. For instance, Pigments holds together all the way up the keyboard when using filter FM, where Dune 3 starts to break and alias quite a bit on high notes. I like Pigments' MINI filter more than Dune's 24 db transistor ladder. You can get a lot of screamy resonance out of it, and when you use the drive you can get it to distort nicely, where Dune's resonance and drive are a lot more tame. Pigments has much better and more flexible oscillator engines. One engine can already give you a 3 analog style osc setup and you still have two oscillators to work with.

Of course, Dune had a ton of great things about it. Wavetable import and editing is big to me. The dual unison engine sounds awesome and is easy to use. Lots more filter types. I could go on all day, but the idea that somehow Dune trounces Pigments in terms of sound quality is absurd. Bolderdash, I say!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BBFG# wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:19 pm
fisherKing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:45 pm

Feedback thread shows "domtak" bought it from you? ...

But you're right IMO for not really proving anything like popularity.
I'd say reselling either has more to do with whether one becomes NFR on secondhand purchase. That alone would make Dune less "popular".
It certainly is the defining aspect which has kept me from Dune (1,2,or3)
Regardless of that, subjectivity of individual synth character seems closer to the bottom line and I'm not really sure how that can be quantified in terms of popularity.

Personal subjectiveness for me is that Pigments has more character to my liking. And if someday I decide I like something better to replace it, I can do so easily knowing the buyer can do the same.
lol, true. i did eventually sell it (sold so many plugins). anyway, it's all subjective. i love dune 3, but never found a place for pigments in my music...

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 pm Pigments holds together all the way up the keyboard when using filter FM, where Dune 3 starts to break and alias quite a bit on high notes.
FM is tha ability to modulate the filter with any OSC or noise as audio rate.
Dune does that in the mod matrix

How do you setup that in Pigment?

Aliasing in Dune did you setup modulation as audio rate ?

Return to “Instruments”