Cardinal (open source VCV)

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tested Cardinal 23.02 also under macOS Mojave 10.14.6 in Ableton Live 10.1.43 as a VST3 plugin.
There, I don't get the crashes I have in Linux with Cardinal Native standalone version.
In particular, I can correctly open the example patch "JTB - Waves" as well as properly use the Surge XT modules "Wavetable VCO" and "Modern VCO".
Too, no problems with initially disturbed/scratchy audio nor hanging MIDI notes.

In short, everything seems to work smoother in macOS / Ableton Live using the Cardinal VST3 plugin than in the Linux Native standalone version.
Cylinder Xeon Hexacore 3,5GHz, 64GB RAM, SSDs. DualBoot Mojave/LinuxMint. Steinberg UR22mkII USB audio. M-Audio Axiom 61.
Ableton Live 10, Cubase Pro 12, Logic Pro X
https://www.youtube.com/@landosonic/videos

I will give this a chance tonight. congragulations to the devs for this project looks awesome. I have some experience with VCV rack but all my experiments never made it into tracks due the the lack of DAW integration. Looks like a perfect little beast for some proper techno experiments. I was hesitant to try Cardinal at first but reading this thread it seems like you guys are updating quite frequently with new modules and bug fixes. Cheers!
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Yes, the latest version does indeed crash when adding oscillators from Surge XT. Win10, FL20, Bitwig.

In Surge XT, the modulator has a MSEG mode, does anyone know why it was removed from the modules? And in general, are there any alternatives other than shape master?

Alexander137 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:51 am Yes, the latest version does indeed crash when adding oscillators from Surge XT. Win10, FL20, Bitwig.
same here Ableton 11, window 10, VST3 version
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hi, when new version out? also virustotal flagged the last version dll files as containing viruses, please fix
thanks
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hi, i was just asking, not trying to be rude, i will love to contribute but i know nothing about coding, playing synths is just my hobby
have a nice day :hug:
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Testing builds and releases and providing feedback with system information and reproducible setup is a very good start to contribute.

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:48 pm no rudeness taken, the windows stuff is just getting frustrating as quite a lot of people complain but there is not much possible to do. do these antiviruses tools even say what is the "threat"? as in, technical details, which functions are marked bad or trigger some flag.

the only thing I found is OBS (the streaming software) deliberately obfuscating some function names in order to bypass those antiviruses. see https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studi ... cate.h#L10
and example usage in https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studi ... ook.c#L933

but this is extremely ugly and not something any project should be proud of doing. they resorted to purposefully obfuscate the runtime, just like other viruses, in order to get around the antivirus stuff.

the whole thing is quite ridiculous in my opinion.
We have not reached a point yet where consumers verify, test, and/or trust open-source software over trusting a third-party entity's claims of safety/security, or really any other matter, based on credibility alone. That being said, I appreciate your commitment to keeping your code clean and steadfast against these "flags". Your awareness and disapproval of workarounds across other open-source software to accomodate this issue has garnered hard-earned respect from me.

A few questions from someone who hasn't used modular/racks...
I'm interested in learning a bit about synthesis through setting up virtual racks, and also want to be able to sequence & create ambient/environmental stuff, both fully automated as well as manually sequenced/triggered if possible.

My main DAW is Ableton Live 11 Suite.

Something I read seems to suggest Cardinal can't use parameter automation, but I wasn't able to find out more about that. I definitely need parameter automation.

Honestly I'm not sure where to start, and whether it's here (Cardinal) or if this would require VCV. There are so many devices included & available I figured it might be good to ask here too.

Also, I'm in the market for a MIDI controller as my son took his Akai MPK back to school :) so if anyone has a suggestion for devices that seem to work well with Cardinal/VCV I'd be happy to know.
thanks
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

-Bob Newhart

Not sure where you read this, but Cardinal certainly can be automated through the plugin parameters.

In Cardinal there is the special Host Params module that exposes these to Rack.

DRMR wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:28 pm Not sure where you read this, but Cardinal certainly can be automated through the plugin parameters.

In Cardinal there is the special Host Params module that exposes these to Rack.
Thanks - on this page:
https://github.com/DISTRHO/Cardinal/blo ... ERENCES.md:

it says:
Arbitrary parameter automation: No

Also.. how the heck do we link text here? Can't seem to get it to show up properly... :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

-Bob Newhart

Return to “Modular Synthesis”