What kind of notations are used for rap lyrics?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's review the shit that started my animosity towards you. Shall I find it?
(Oh, you've felled me have you?* Kiss_my_ass, ya mosquito.)

I definitely remember deleting the PMs. Hypocrite. *Is what you said today "nice"?
I'm not nice. f**k people that expect the female is nice and won't push back. You pushed me in the beginning and ad hom'd me with some of the most f**ked up shit I've ever witnessed.
You're pushing me again making a shite little poem to gaslight me about my own feelings (ASSH0LE) and it's either pushing back or hold onto it, which I have found as an older person is no f**king good.

I'm good to people irl, and here I have taught stuff tirelessly here when I was literally dying.

What are you doing?
Why are you here making up shit about music's history and all of this rubbish?
If you have some good stuff on offer I'll be even-handed and will share with you. I was kind of tidying shit up here and found a long thread where you and I were actually in a conversation. [experiential discovery VERSUS knowing the mechanics of music. A false dichotomy BTFW.]
THE ONCE. Right? And then you spoil it with the shitposting.
On what grounds did you accept their authority to judge you?
{Using my statement to posit a rhetorical question to state you don't recognize authority. I had been real articulate about that situation, so this is just pure shit AFAIC. BTW this is a heavily self-censored reply.}
My mood turned. So sue me. If you're going to use me to make some ancillary point while at the same time insulting my intelligence it's on.
I remember most things, if something has impressed me (negatively) to this level I def will. I don't usually hold a grudge for two years, but the quality of our if not absolutely initial exchange prob. the second time was such shit and with such animus and absurdity on your end I guess I simply can't abide with you.

Back to the topic such as it is. With Michael there with some insight, and after a couple of years an actual discussion on poetic meter. Ask yourself how that came about.
It's your idea, do you want a conversation or what? Oh you can't post because "Due to previous misunderstandings" I understood you perfectly when you pulled that shit, & right from the outset.

So, our problem begins with you coming at me 'You're just intolerant of diversity' by PM and a kind of schmear of more of that. For correcting something that you supposed as 'quartal harmony', sus2 chord etc.; there is no public evidence of the incident past that one, because I only just touched on it publicly.

And I showed you, and by extension the room over and over again what quartal harmony is and does (most of it readable, some of it opaque and poorly written) which you had at me personally for, telling me I was alienating the poor student by positing Satie, or Zappa with the "2 chord" (eg., C D B) which isn't a quartal usage, it's just an avoidance of thirds in the chord because it's more open and allows for things a major or minor might f**k with); the poor student who thinks Martin van Buuren or somebody is the shit. I showed you so much, I exceed being a "nice person" kind of majorly after that offense but I kept on trying to provide knowledge about the thing. You're not my student, you ain't paid me one cent. I owe you exactly nothing. You're posting stuff that has to be countered all the time. Using pitch class for simple diatonic analysis. It's an irritant and it seems never not to be the case!

And I see upon examination that in your threads, I have nearly written books on the subject, inspired by your mistaken notions. Sure, I'm the asshole, why not. It can't be a two-way street at all can it. :hyper:

"A lifetime of regret
befalls another knight in sour armor

A silence so profound
like that inside a whale
And all they ever chase in life
is someone else's tail"

That's some ugly shit right there. Show us the real you, do.
I'll not forget this, believe that. I have a lifetime of accomplishment and insight you'll never come within the remote vicinity of if you live a billion years with your lame-ass approach, your excuses and delusion. I've revisited the threads you sharted forth, your pagro shit at me is all over the place while I'm imparting knowledge despite your poseur bullshit. How desperate, how bleak, how empty, to seek to insult and impugn my integrity with this shit. It's exactly the same stupid attempt to get at me as we start with here, 'you're intolerant of diversity' (itself looking copy/pasted from like a Relativist wiki page or some shit.
"Relativism has been, in its various guises, both one of the most popular and most reviled philosophical doctrines of our time. Defenders see it as a harbinger of tolerance and the only ethical and epistemic stance worthy of the open-minded and tolerant."
Oh muy, you were corrected on a factual issue and can't recognize it. Your ass is hanging way out there, son.)

"A Knight In Sour Armor believes in the rules and breaks them only when absolutely necessary,"
Oh really?
https://youtu.be/gamYpnuWUcI

:idiot:
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:56 pm [...] when I was literally dying. [...]
You having health issues was becoming obvious from the way you write.

Regarding the rest: I'm just someone on the internet, not your doctor nor your relative.

For what it's worth, if I was in your situation, I might write an autobiography instead of wasting time on folks on forums (and obsessing about one of them in particular).

Then again, the addiction to social resonance (sympathetic or otherwise) I cannot claim to be entirely free of, either.

That's right, change the subject and characterize my anger as a psychological issue, "obsession" with you. :lol: No, I'm just getting the shit off my chest; and you're here doing a back and forth with me with your own insults (it's aggravating but I don't see how I can really be insulted by someone as lame as you (in this field. You're a bright little guy, as sad as you are trying to fake music theory.... whatever it is you think you're about here. I'm sure there's a field you do better at.)

Who tf are you kidding with that lame psychobabble? For what it's worth: you probably understand negative numbers, yeah?

You want to insult me find something less silly and adolescent. Or keep showing me exactly what you are now that your surface was scratched.

You do have one hell of a lot of gall. I'm not that interested in myself or expect anybody to care about me going on even this much, "autobiography". It would be interesting in a morbid kind of way that I avoid in that form. There's no demand for it. You telling us about your ego structure?
I'm not looking for social anything, Mr. Phony Mahoney and the Baloney Show. You're telling us about you there.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

"instead of wasting time on folks on forums"
I am wasting time. You're a waste of time. Everything you've ever done here, and some of it is so wildly self-involved it would also be a very morbid interest were I interested, is an utter waste of everybody's time. The only thing interesting about you, let alone a person I'm obsessing over, is your consistent arrogance while your input is always wanting, either unforced error or just going on and on about some incredibly basic shit that, instead of pages to scroll past could be encapsulated in a couple of sentences.

"becoming obvious from the way you write." or maybe it was obvious after I mentioned it several times? What's your excuse for how you write? It's embarrassing.

At this moment I have to clean out my shit bag every couple hours, I'm not sleeping and I flat do not have the concentration to do it, so the current project is on hold. I've made more music in five days that you'll ever do, shittalker. This here is easy to do. I have a right to my own emotions, I don't think you have even the tiniest room to talk such shit given where our problem starts. Fatuous stupid adolescent insults talking utter hogwash "intolerant of diversity".

You're not repping diversity, you're repping delusion. I think deep down you may recognize it as it comes out in your own words. You're not a musician, but you think you're owed the status of one by the world. FOAD.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:59 am [...]
You do have one hell of a lot of gall. I'm not that interested in myself or expect anybody to care about me going on even this much, "autobiography". It would be interesting in a morbid kind of way that I avoid in that form. There's no demand for it. [...]
Folks like me might have read it. Seems like you've had plenty of adventures in past decades. Might even be enough there for a film script - a documentary, at least.

If I may: thinking too little of yourself in terms of taking agency seems to be part of your problems. And so, there you are, obsessing about someone on a forum again.

What's with all the passive aggression? You're in a fight trying to insult somebody. Find a f**king pair.
I'm sure there's enough for a very interesting screenplay, I've lived. I'm personally not fascinated with it, because I lived it. How old are you? Are you of the generation that doesn't know what living in the moment is because if you ain't shared it on your smart phone it never happened?

You have no idea what you're talking about. Taking agency to what? I got sick. I had a diseased colon that I tried multiple times to get treatment for, I have a lot of lab results that show I was sick enough to be hospitalized (and have spinal issues that people undergo surgery for), the fourth or fifth 911 call the ambulance service refused to take me. This is my fault, for being that sick?

You have no f**king clue what my life is like and the fact you're telling stories about me shows me yet more about what a no-empathy-having little prick you are. I don't trust doctors. I'll tell you one reason why: I have a skin disease - prurigo nodularis - that every time I sought help for I was treated like an asshole and as though it was a lifestyle thing, me having all of these sores all over my body. It went undiagnosed for almost 15 years, finally after the amputations someone listened to me - for the very first time -in Skilled Nursing. When my feet went septic I wanted to die and knew that gangrene could do it.
It's f**king hard for me to die, failing at suicide is not my idea of using my own agency well at all. I don't have a gun, but that may change.

Next time there was an ambulance I was as close to DOA as it gets before brain death.
I had to have extraordinary measures taken. I'm more pissed off at that than I could ever be with some miserable big talker I'll never have to be in the same room with, on the internet FFS. You push my buttons. This may be your real talent, I see you going at it all over the place here. The ridic 'NI is tracking your user stats' posturing strawman argumentation. I get the sense of an arrogant teenager every time you open your shitegob. If you're just now 18 it's forgiveable.

I took the agency to try and off myself. I still do but failing isn't an option.
Go head-on and get it over with then
Find you a bridge and take a jump
Just make sure you do it right the first time
'Cause nothing's worse than a suicide chump

I had the agency to get into a major conservatory after a little under 3 years of prep to expose myself to people that did it since early childhood with material advantages I didn't have. I was accepted at two others, and then my transfer to SFCM was accepted. Where have you done anything where you tested yourself against the wider world? Rhetorical question, it's fully evident your game is to pretend and by self-talking rhetoric insulate yourself from that: your problem with following a course seems like a great excuse? Oh, but you're neuroatypical, like that means you can't be expected not to be entirely up your own rectal cavity.
You seem to have a very poor sense of reality and the failure of self-awareness at this point is next-next level.
You seem to want to be a peer with people having not done the work to be. No one draws huge graphs to explain some basic Intro to theory concept like it's anything. It's bizarre. If there was a true block function here, this personal animus that I allowed to fester isn't a thing.
But people quote your nonsense, because so much is wrong with it. I would recommend looking at a thread as though at a distance, but I'd have nearly zero confidence you can. Borders on clinical delusion. I'm not doing that to insult, but you need help with it.

Neuroatypical or not, you're not dealing straight with people. My empathy is so high it's a double-edged blade, I see you. Everyone has this scared to deal, scared to know yourself problem. You're projecting like mad. I held onto to too much as regards this and now I just don't give a f**k so I'm externalizing my problem.

Is Festivus already over? Shit. Because I got a real problem with some of you people. :lol:

If it's all mutual disrespect, what do you want from me to keep pushing me.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NB: it's not so much you as what you represent: it's fully emblematic of a lot of shit in this world. It'd be like being very intensely focused on a MAGA hat person.

N__K wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:16 am there you are, obsessing about someone on a forum again.
I'll put this to you again with this context: why are you still pushing me? You keep replying but it suits you to say I'm 'obsessing about someone'. I'm just telling you what I think of what you do here. I type pretty fast and construct these sentences in the time it takes to type them: I be free-stylin' like a mo fo and it's cathartic, as opposed to trying to hide from it. Take your psychobabble and shove it where the sun don't shine.

As a personality, and as far as we're ever going to get that stands for your person, you're practically non-existent to me, I see a fraud that can't face not belonging in a class they aren't fulfilling the assignments for; except for the arrogance and peculiar cluelessness, there's not much apparent on the surface. I scratch that surface and find a sadist.
I've said enough. If you disrupt threads in here expect to hear me on it, though. Unless I'm banned for this. I'm way over the line. Did I say I don't give a f**k?

Feel free to do your damndest, I guess I've expressed pretty much the whole of it.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:16 am [...]
Where have you done anything where you tested yourself against the wider world? [...]
In the music business, among others - with relatively small achievements, but enough to know that indeed I can. It's part of where my attitude comes from, and part of why I don't usually post links to my work on forums.

You push my buttons. This may be your real talent, I see you going at it all over the place here.
[...]
A few exceptions aside, I don't so much intentionally push your buttons as you seem to latch onto my tail. As if mere existence of me bothers you?

Which it indeed seems to:

jancivil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:27 am NB: it's not so much you as what you represent: it's fully emblematic of a lot of shit in this world. It'd be like being very intensely focused on a MAGA hat person.
You seem bothered by young(er) people in general, as if they were responsible for misery in your life. Obviously they're not, most of them weren't even born when the seeds of your pain were planted.

Speaking of MAGA and DJT: misery, bitter complaints, fear of the new - sound familiar? Dumping own pain onto others is exactly what you have in common with the political side you dislike.

You and DJT (and VVP, and XJP etc.) are of the same generation - and from where I'm looking, the difference between you and them is somewhat like the difference between Vorlons and Shadows in Babylon 5.

Me & my are perhaps being too nice to y'all, but behind that we're taking your existential bitterness as a lesson of what not to become in our old age.

To spell it out: if all your generation can pass on are methods of becoming similarly miserable, you have nothing to teach.

Going back to the topic, I'm reminded of trap, which is currently the top genre for venting and dumping. You appear to still have the energy to play a queen bee here, and there you went mentioning a gun as well. So if you still have it in you to be an entertainer instead of just complainer, why not rhyme up more stuff and see what that brings?

Get FL Studio, some 808 samples, watch a tutorial made by a kid 1/5 your age, record the vocals and so on. Then put the result up to a peer review on FL Studio forums - I promise to give feedback if I notice it there :)

N__K wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:15 am Get FL Studio, some 808 samples, watch a tutorial made by a kid 1/5 your age, record the vocals and so on. Then put the result up to a peer review on FL Studio forums - I promise to give feedback if I notice it there :)
Solid advice LOL. I'll commit to some feedback...um...for the community. I have minimal experience recording rap, well, one rap artist, so there's that. He liked the results. I'm not sure that I'd invite a convicted felon into my studio today. I took more risks in my youth. FTR, his lyric sheet was a scrappily written flow-diagram but he had managed to memorize it by the time I recorded him. I don't know if anything came of it for him, but the recording got me some paid work, so yeah, I guess that makes me a profeshional and shit.

I am still curious about this notation topic.

I got a tip from Ethan Hein's blog about this Tumblr with transcriptions { not notations for performance } of great hip hop passages made with pen, graph paper, ruler and the great ear of Charlie Hely:

https://hiphoptranscriptions.tumblr.com/

Check out the rhythmic sophistication!
-
I Aint No Joke.png
-
“I Ain’t No Joke” by Eric B and Rakim
-
Sunshowers.png
-
“Sunshowers" by M.I.A.

Ethan Hein has his own system for notating beats, the famous Groove Pizza:
https://www.ethanhein.com/wp/groove-pizza/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

N__K wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:15 am
You push my buttons. This may be your real talent, I see you going at it all over the place here.
[...]
A few exceptions aside, I don't so much intentionally push your buttons as you seem to latch onto my tail. As if mere existence of me bothers you?

Which it indeed seems to:

jancivil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:27 am NB: it's not so much you as what you represent: it's fully emblematic of a lot of shit in this world. It'd be like being very intensely focused on a MAGA hat person.
You seem bothered by young(er) people in general, as if they were responsible for misery in your life.
You seem incabable of being corrected (or of being able to deal with me as an actual f**king person rather than a strawman where you can bash). I just don't like you. There are OTOH quite a number of young people that take music seriously I quite appreciate. You're transparently about trying to make being a non-musician - this is your words before I would even go here - seem the same thing as what people who do the work are engaged in.
indeed I can. It's part of where my attitude comes from, and part of why I don't usually post links to my work on forums.

Do you even read this shit back to yourself? :help: If you know you can the proof is you won't share what you do? What did I just say about testing yourself against reality? I've seen what you do. If I had a child whose development was not going anywhere better than that by age 14 (I would be able to assist in a way my parents were not) I would be about trying to find what they ARE going to be able to become. It's unearned attitude. I don't even have that attitude. I started guitar lessons at 18 and at 20 I was accepted at three conservatories, knowing I was going to be at the bottom of the totem pole. An adolescent 'testing authority' is your attitude afaic.

Again, get this through the layers of defense you have up against the inconvenient truth of it all, my problem with you starts with you unable to deal straight; eg., coming at me in Private Message to tell me the same quality of stupid bullshit as this right here, 'You are intolerent of diversity'.
That's a memorable buzz phrase (that reminds me of everything I hate about pseudo-intellectualism, eg., postmodern relativism as pertains to knowledge), the rest of the shit you said in that PM I only recall the tone of. You are not diversity in music's representative. Shitty music by clueless persons is not diverse like say Indian Classical Music must represent to your normal "western classical' person working within that frame to the near or full exclusion of all else.
My own efforts span a range, I've even had a C&W band, albeit my former musical partner called it Frank Zappa doing Jimmy Webb and oddly used the phrase "best band you never heard in your life" (name of an FZ album he probably doesn't know). So I'm running a gamut from singing like Hank Williams Sr and being the kind of guitarist that my bass player who joined Satriani in 2010 was wowed by in that country band (I found myself overrated a lot of the time), to "2001 A Space Odyssey" Ligeti, to what some are only going to consider noise (embracing noise as music). But your bullshitting represents diversity I can't deal with? You're delusional.

You're bullshitting, it's what you do. I don't owe you a goddamned thing.
(I'm only seeing this because I was curious to see if was banned or suspended and Michael L has replied. Of course you want to make my problem with you about some deficiency in me as a person (there are quite a few, my assessment of the quality of your contribution is another matter), so again you make up a story because you can't handle not being whatever you think you should be - to me? Ok, I'm done, and especially given that by your continuing to come back gaslighting and telling bullshit stories about my person, you show us you're as focused on me as a person as you want me to be with you. You're, again, a stand-in for all the bullshitters in the world, eg., the EDM children whose experience of music is shallow and narrowed to a bizarre extreme. In my day you want to be celebrated for music you learn music and can do it in a room for real, live. Feel free to kid yourself all you like but right in front of me at this juncture, nope.

You're singularly dull, and other than the fact I'm beyond sick of what you represent after a particular exchange of zero interest. You have *nothing* new on offer for the topic 'music theory' (you need a spectrum analyzer to know what's happening in simple diatonic usage), objectively. When you post a new topic I can either ignore the whole of it, which seems wrong, or try and make lemonades out of the lemon.
So finally a grown person and I got into scansion (which is maybe kinda sorta a music theory question. However, as I was a capable poet years before becoming a capable musician, I honestly don't find a discussion of poetic meter, measuring feet in an Iambic Pentameter etc a musical question; as I put it we aren't talking about scanning against a pulse which, to speak sensibly on demands we know where "1" is.)

I am letting go of it. You have not the first clue, as we got to witness from your own language, what a person that can play an instrument well enough to write from that vantage point does, so how exactly do you feature you're any musician's peer? "Get FL Studio, some 808 samples, watch a tutorial made by a kid 1/5 your age, record the vocals and so on." Oh, sorry I can't revert to being at the level of an 11 year old ever again. :lol:

Everyone must be only able to do the same throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks (NB., you didn't counter that at all but only sought to project it) as you do from no instrumental ability to speak of? This shows me your particular capacity for growth in this field of endeavor is well-arrested. I suppose that's my fault, right?
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BTFW, the main person I would hang with from 2006 through I think 2014 when she moved to San Diego was a woman 24 yrs my junior. She was not an intellectual or a musician or artist, just my pal because we vibed together well after becoming roommates during a challenging time. Don't talk about people you know not at all, it's just a stupid, stupid look. Also comparing the shit you think is a challenge, to me at 11 seems extraordinarily generous upon a moment's reflection. At least I could nail the drum part of Mary, Mary at that age. speaking of the topic...
Michael L wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:34 pm I am still curious about this notation topic.

transcriptions { not notations for performance } of great hip hop passages made with pen, graph paper, ruler and the great ear of Charlie Hely:

https://hiphoptranscriptions.tumblr.com/

Check out the rhythmic sophistication!
When I came back to the world, by dribs and drabs I guess around 2003, I had high hopes for hip hop. Weirdly (to me) there was a big book of hip hop rhythms notated in the SF Public Library, notated on drum staves. I became rather occupied trying to suss Cubase and learning to hear again as though I had a form of amnesia, so I didn't follow up past sitting there tapping them out on my lap, or follow what was happening at all closely. So all I hear is on the street, and as a whole I was disappointed, as what I was privy to represents such conformity; but if my experience of other music was restricted to 'what's on the radio' like that I'd have remained ignorant more broadly (I'd still have a wider if not deeper view than whomever thinks a martin van buuren is something). I do have to admit I wanted to do a rap number more than once and it takes a talent I ain't got. And I can rhyme quite easily.

You're, again, a stand-in for all the bullshitters in the world, eg., the EDM children whose experience of music is shallow and narrowed to a bizarre extreme. In my day you want to be celebrated for music you learn music and can do it in a room for real, live.
Yep, that seems to be the core of your thesis.

Speaking of celebration and EDM: one of the main things to celebrate in it remains Peace, Love, Unity and Respect.

The extent to which I am a child of that celebration generation, every reader can judge for themselves. But I do make efforts to maintain enough R of the PLUR to avoid directing blunt insults and profanity at you.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:16 am [...] Oh, sorry I can't revert to being at the level of an 11 year old ever again. :lol:
That's my point exactly. Perhaps you should try that, and rediscover some joys in life, as they appear nowadays?

In that regard, I dare to claim that you have things to learn especially from those EDM children, of which there are now three generations (with fourth getting there).

Or you can continue towards the Q continuum [ of the Star Trek kind, ST:VOY S02E18, youtube.com/watch?v=zp9cL458Qns ], while insulting phantom menaces you imagine in folks like me.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:18 pm BTFW, the main person I would hang with from 2006 through I think 2014 when she moved to San Diego was a woman 24 yrs my junior. She was not an intellectual or a musician or artist, just my pal because we vibed together well after becoming roommates during a challenging time. Don't talk about people you know not at all, it's just a stupid, stupid look.
[...]
I tend to reply with references to what you tell about yourself (which you keep doing a lot of).

What I haven't told you is much about me, and that's intentional. It's sometimes interesting to see what you imagine there. You do more of that than most people, which makes you stand out somewhat - and it's part of why I still reply.

Speaking of vibes and places, the internet offers means for expanding personalities beyond confines of physical realities. In other words, the physical pot is always there, but the virtual plant growing from it is not limited by the window. So perhaps growing some new stems into directions previously unimagined could be a fun thing to do.

Return to “Music Theory”