Is talent born or created with hard work and practice

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VOODOO U wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:58 am
vurt wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:38 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:36 pm
You can actullay spell
you can't.
You forgot to capitalize the letter "Y" at the start of your sentence.
And hear you are pointing at me for not bieng able too spell.
I'm certain vurt didn't forget to, he never does. New here?

If you're dyslexic, I am sorry.

Don't flunk the test and then expect to pass
Don't understand and yet afraid to ask
So why you wanna waste your time?
(Daryl Hall, Beanie G and the Rose Tattoo)

(The thread exists purely to justify no musical talent as though that isn't a thing. No, look around for one minute and see the vast majority of folk don't have talent in any artform, or sport, even.)

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:57 pm If at least one person likes what you have created, based solely on the creation, then they see you as aesthetically talented, at least. The more you can please, then the more will praise you as "talented."
these people who are good at pleasing other people, do they have a talent for it or do they have to put in the work?

polarsky wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:34 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:57 pm If at least one person likes what you have created, based solely on the creation, then they see you as aesthetically talented, at least. The more you can please, then the more will praise you as "talented."
these people who are good at pleasing other people, do they have a talent for it or do they have to put in the work?
It depends. They have to do something, that's for sure. What qualifies as putting in the work. One of my favorite albums is Walk Among Us, by the Misfits. Doyle, their rhythm guitarist, was a power chord maniac. I've heard him say in interviews that he wasn't a technically skilled guitarist. I loved the sounds he created, as part of the band, but I'm pretty sure anybody could match his sound, with a bit of training. I'm sure he put in work, too, beyond the drag of touring, but I don't think he knows much more than powerchords.

What well-known appreciated artist has put in the least work--but had that aspect of talent that could please others?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Yngwie Malmsteen came out of the womb grasping a scalloped fretboard guitar (which he built in there) and instantly started playing entire Paganini concertos with one hand while ranting about how much he disliked donuts. If those aren't innate qualities then I don't know what is.

widdle.

lotus2035 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:52 pm Yngwie Malmsteen came out of the womb
No he didn't. He came out of the hole of an acoustic guitar.

twaddle.

polarsky wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:34 pm
LMMFAO.
because I'd said "not going to do point-by-point with this nonsense" I missed the second part of this particular bit of turdage. For once, thanks for quoting the shit, in a good mood this is just comedy gold.
So I called argument to popularity wrong, did I? (reminder: I did not call it at all, which you know if you read the whole sentence) It's a two mints in one fallacy: 1) any individual liking some music amounts to the definition of musical talent; 2) this concept but amplified rather quickly to argument from popularity.

"at least one person likes what you have created, based solely on the creation"
Are people supposed as liking what one does for some other reason than the thing itself? Maybe it's this "aesthetically talented" thing, ie., they appreciate the hairdo and/or makeup job.

I guess I should be glad my parents never seemed all that impressed with what I was doing, let alone my guitar professor whose best pat-on-the-back was "I have nothing to say about that performance.". As her job was to be critical, not foster a false sense.
Test yourself against the world some day and see how that works.

lotus2035 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:52 pm Yngwie Malmsteen came out of the womb grasping a scalloped fretboard guitar (which he built in there) and instantly started playing entire Paganini concertos with one hand while ranting about how much he disliked donuts. If those aren't innate qualities then I don't know what is.
But his music sucks. I bought records, wanting to learn technique from him. There isn't a song I remember.

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:42 pmtwaddle.
Chris Waddle

jumpers for goalposts...

Dear JanCivil, please to stop bullying me.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:34 pm
lotus2035 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:52 pm Yngwie Malmsteen came out of the womb grasping a scalloped fretboard guitar (which he built in there) and instantly started playing entire Paganini concertos with one hand while ranting about how much he disliked donuts. If those aren't innate qualities then I don't know what is.
But his music sucks. I bought records, wanting to learn technique from him. There isn't a song I remember.
His amazing talent hampers his ability to write good songs. It's complicated, just like Yngwie.

Interesting that someone who writes "shitty" songs managed to headline arenas. At least in the States he did when he was with Rising Force.
Frank Zappa is right, there's no such thing as shitty music. What you consider shit is liked by many others.
Likewise, what you admire is despised by many others.
Talent is just a descriptive word for people witnessing something which they've never experienced because they don't like to do anything.
I'm "talented" with music and when I witness another being good at something I'm not, I don't say they're "talented", I say they're in love with what they do.
Yngwie loves playing guitar as opposed to writing songs with hooks.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”