Do I need to know more music theory than this for songwriting?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The question is answered easy.
What do YOU need to write a song.
I even dont need a piano or an instrument at all, just to write a song.

So, answer this question.
Do you need something to write a song?:)

You’re way ahead of most with what you have. Of course theory can be fun for its own sake and it’s always there if you’re interested and/or your goals change.

HREQ wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:20 pm Scales, Tonal Harmony, Modes, Modal interchange, Borrowing chords, secondary dominant, modulation with 2-5-1s
I know almost nothing about all of the above but it doesn't stop me making music. Some of my music might be shit but it's definitely not all shit. :shrug:

Sounds like a reasonable base in harmony.

Don't forget about rhythm! Syncopation, swing, meter (including compound signatures), accel and deccel, use of grace notes...

Of course it's not enough to know what things are called, one needs to study how things are used in practice. It sounds like OP has already started analyzing pop songs which is good.

I think you got most of it down, now it's time to develop "taste" / your own sound and you should be good to go.

Some basic level of music theory is required to stand out. Most daws come with scales assists which does help. U don’t necessarily need to know how to play the instruments. Music is like a journey you need to keep the listener interested and I feel a bit of music theory goes a long way to help improvise

The most important for me is your ears and your feelings

Yes and no. Yes because imo, it's nice to know how harmony works and theory can be used as a creative device for composition. No because if you listen to a lot of music and practice enough, you can use your ears. At the end of the day, it wouldn't hurt to take some time and learn theory, it's really up to you how deep you want to go.

I compose by ear, but sometimes it sounds very bad...
If we can spend time learning musical theory, then so much the better

These two were the most (if not the only) valuable books for me in this respect: viewtopic.php?p=8516056#p8516056

Return to “Music Theory”